Getting a light line across my LCD

epp_b

I bought a used SyncMaster 760V a few years ago (it's a great monitor that's worked perfectly) and, just in the last couple of months, it seems to have started developing a light horizontal line near the bottom:line_on_lcd.gif(I just put a grey background on because it's more noticeable that way)I don't know if it makes a difference, but it's exactly aligned at the bottom edge of my application windows in the location that they are always open (I didn't think LCDs were affected by burn-in like some CRTs).Any ideas what this could be? Right now, I hardly notice it, but could it get a lot worse?

I bought a used SyncMaster 760V a few years ago (it's a great monitor that's worked perfectly) and, just in the last couple of months, it seems to have started developing a light horizontal line near the bottom:line_on_lcd.gif(I just put a grey background on because it's more noticeable that way)I don't know if it makes a difference, but it's exactly aligned at the bottom edge of my application windows in the location that they are always open (I didn't think LCDs were affected by burn-in like some CRTs).Any ideas what this could be? Right now, I hardly notice it, but could it get a lot worse?
It is more than likely a hardware failure. Should you be concerned? Depends. If it stays the way it is, which is quite possible, you can probably live with it. If next week it gets twice as wide, start budgeting for a new monitor.

It is more than likely a hardware failure.
Well, I certainly know that it's hardware-related. Any idea what it might be in specific?Maybe it would be more practical to repair it depending on what it is.
Should you be concerned? Depends. If it stays the way it is, which is quite possible, you can probably live with it. If next week it gets twice as wide, start budgeting for a new monitor.
I think it's taken a few months to get to this point, so it doesn't appear to a quickly-spreading "disease".

• 1 month later...
burninbush
.. but i have an lcd with a line that crawls up the screen in about 20 seconds or so.
Hmmm ... I thought I knew the answer until this sentence above -- do I understand you correctly that the line *moves* during some early phase immediately after a power-up??? That sounds like power supply to me, a little less tragic than what I first thought -- but if I've misunderstood what you meant [i.e., it's always in the same place], then it's likely a driver transistor that is common to one entire horiz line of pixels across the screen. That might mean replacing the screen, which could cost more than a new monitor. Wouldn't hurt to make some inquiries about repair options -- can't imagine that'll be good news, so good luck with it. If I had it I'd try hard to ignore that line for as long as I can, then get a new one.