Page layout software

ross549

Hi RossYou might try Open Office Draw and Open Office Impress . . . . right there on your system, nothing extra to download and install ;):whistling: Bruno

If you are familiar with QuarkXPress than Scribus should be your choice.If not than I would just go with Open Office package as Scribus tend to be hard to use for novices (not because it's hard but because it is different approach to DTP with Quark in mind).

Does that mean that someone who is used to PageMaker since it is similar to Quark would like Scribus as well? I had wondered what equivalent there was for that.

To be honest with you, Scribus is Quark clone.Feature for feature almost identical and it is my dream to do production work on Linux with Scribus.If you are fairly familiar with Page Maker you have great chance of working with Scribus.It;s all in linking instead of embedding files.Actually it is fairly simple to work with Scribus, you need to know that there is "Picture Box" and "Text Box".Also with latest couple of updates you can change on fly picture box to text and vice verse.Scribus produces clean PS and PDF code and I tested it myself on Brisque (Creo-Scitex RIP station).Every PS file and PDF I made with Scribus was 100% ok on RIP, mind you I know what I am doing so it wasn't big deal :P but I just want to point that it actually works as advertised.There are some quirks related to screen redraws and stuff but those are mostly XFree issues, not Scribus.I am on their mailing list for a while now and I can tell yhou that it has never been more active development than now.Try it, you won't be sorry and if you need any help regarding DTP or Scribus I will be here :)

Thanks for replying. I will have to add it to my list of things to try. I taught Pagemaker for four years so know it pretty well but never had a reason to try Quark. Now I am stuck teaching Publisher and it is so hard to teach it with what they want us to cover. Now if I could just get them to let me switch to Linux. :P

Thanks for replying.  I will have to add it to my list of things to try.  I taught Pagemaker for four years so know it pretty well but never had a reason to try Quark.  Now I am stuck teaching Publisher and it is so hard to teach it with what they want us to cover.  Now if I could just get them to let me switch to Linux. :P
Actually, Publisher 2000 is what i have been using to produce the family calendar the last two years. How does PageMaster/Quark compare in the UI part of it?

Thanks for replying.  I will have to add it to my list of things to try.  I taught Pagemaker for four years so know it pretty well but never had a reason to try Quark.  Now I am stuck teaching Publisher and it is so hard to teach it with what they want us to cover.  Now if I could just get them to let me switch to Linux. :P
You are welcome.By the way you won't find many printers that will take Publisher files for printing.You are stuck with Kinko's and similar.If printer is taking Publisher files than they usually add 40% or something to price.Ross, for home use, I guess Publisher is ok but if you are talking about professional use, than don't go further than Quark/Pagemaker/Indesign.I guess you can still use Freehand and CorelDraw but about 90% of the professional DTP work/high-end printing/layout is done in Quark.