Are you gonna switch?

Peachy

If you've never owned a Mac will the mini make you switch?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arena2045

• lewmur

• nlinecomputers

• Peachy

I voted that I would be tempted... but after looking at the page.... why in the world can't they put a headphone/speaker out jack somewhere on that thing?

Well I voted to switch but it will not be a switch for me just an additional system.
Yeah, I think for most of the members here it would more of a second computer than a complete switch... after all, I'm sure most of us have extra components to connect to it (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc). Edited by Arena2045

SgtShultz.....It is very, very small.... that is most likely why people will buy it.
It's a reason, but I wouldn't say that is the only reason by any means...
  • Most inexpensive Mac ever
  • Geared mostly towards non-Mac users looking to enjoy the Mac experience (the OS, and the tight integration between the OS and it's hardware, the include Apps, etc.) or existing Mac users who want to add another system
  • The OS is based on a Unix core
  • You can use your existing or extra VGA or DVI monitor and USB keyboard and USB mouse
  • With optional accessory, it can connect to your TV (S-video, or thru DVI if you have a HD-TV that includes such a connection)
  • It is small
  • It doesn't run Windows
  • I could go on...

With only 32Megs of Video RAM... it will definately not be at the center of my audio video entertainment hub. I'll let a windows machine do that with a dual TV tuner card, an HDTV (OTA) tuner, and video that uses 256Megs of RAM to the fullest. And run it all with a remote!

With only 32Megs of Video RAM... it will definately not be at the center of my audio video entertainment hub. I'll let a windows machine do that with a dual TV tuner card, an HDTV (OTA) tuner, and video that uses 256Megs of RAM to the fullest. And run it all with a remote!
True, the Mac mini isn't being marketed as a home entertainment component. I just mentioned that it could be connected to a TV. There are 3rd party remotes that can control various aspects of the OS and software...

Macnews.de has a good number of photographs of the Mac mini... including the insides of the unit.I was wondering what the power brick looked like, but found a glimpse of it via the QuickTime VR spot at Apple's website. But I was wondering where the unit was going to get the air intake. Everyone can see the rear vent, but where does the air come from. I noticed that the mini doesn't really sit flat and wondered if that had anything to do with it: sure does. There are air intakes all around the base. Very interesting...

As the poll creator/editor I apologise for adding the 4th option. In hindsight, that wasn't fair, though at the time I thought it might add a bit of nuance for those who wanted to say no, but not because of the price/performance ratio. ;)

I voted "Hmm. Very tempting. mini-mmmm..." because it is very tempting.It is rather small and the closest thing in PC counterpart is at least twice the size.Mind you it is still pricy but considering it is Mac, I think it's worth it.I have to work with Mac every day and I am pretty confident that any Windows user would gladly switch to Mac if it was the same price like PC.Mac OSX is just incredible and years ahead of anything similar.Someone also would need to show them couple of pointers but it is far easier to use MacOSX than Windows, it is far more secure, far more stable, etc.. do I need to add anything more?I might get it for my wife and secretly use it at night 'cause I am linux geek, remember ;)

I'd never get a Mac. I'm a gamer and the lag on release dates is (at the VERY best) several months for Mac. Usually, there is a lot of functionality lost along the way, as well. No thanks.

I'd never get a Mac.  I'm a gamer and the lag on release dates is (at the VERY best) several months for Mac.  Usually, there is a lot of functionality lost along the way, as well.  No thanks.
My opinion: Gaming is for counsels and hand held game units, not for computers. Reason: The counsel makers make the hardware and that hardware is specific across the unit base; thus game makers can write their games to work with or maximize that hardware; therefore they know their games will work for that hardware.Gaming on a PC (any brand of personal computer) is for people who want to play games that can capitalize on the most recent hardware, and that means no every computer can play the games for PCs, there is so much variation that its nuts... I don't want to continually upgrade my hardware just to play a game.Buy a Mac for computing, not playing games... I say that for Windows boxes as well.If you want to play games get a PS2, Xbox, GameCube, etc.

I would likely agree with you but I am extremely dissatisfied with console control. Every game I've seen out there for consoles is designed with the console controller in mind. Even if you are able to use a keyboard/mouse, it is still jerky. Games designed for the PC don't have that. Also, you can't upgrade components (read: video) without having to buy the next version of the entire console. When they come up with a console that runs normal PC games, is upgradable (all components), allows web surfing and email, I'll buy one.

If I had the $$, I'd very seriously consider it. If only because my bedroom is 10'x12' w/built-in furniture & located on the south side of the house. Heat issues (not for my pc...for Me!) are at times painful. First order of business however is replacing my 19" CRT with a flat panel.Love & Peace, Clarence

nlinecomputers
When they come up with a console that runs normal PC games, is upgradable (all components), allows web surfing and email, I'll buy one.
Yeah it called an X-Box with the hacked chip so that you can put Linux on it....

This sounds like a good buy for current Mac users but I don't see much of a niche for it in the PC world. The only out-standing feature (other than it being a Mac,) is the size. But I bought an HP ze4600 notebook for only a $100 more, and it is truly "portable." (I'll let the "true believers" argue the "OS wars." But I feel much more comfortable with it as a bridge between "home and office.")