How do you use Firebird?

GolfProRM

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since we've got a bunch of Firebird users here, thought I'd see just how people use Firebird! How often do you update your versions? Are you caught up with the latest nightly builds?I keep two versions running on my home PC, the latest milestone (currently 0.6), and a favorite recent build (currently 6-08). At work I try to update every day to keep up with the most stable build to be running at home... So far they've all been very good, but some are a bit faster (also easier on the memory) than others... Feel free to vote/comment! :(

Nice poll RyanI am not as hard core as you are. Last night I updated my Linux version. Next time I boot in to windows I will update that version. I probably do an update 3 times a week - or it depends upon what I read here. If the concensus is that there is a problem, I don't update. If there are great words, I rush to update. See we do listen to what you have to say. :(

Wow! People actually listen to me? dunno why anyone would do that! :( :( I really like yesterday's build (6-09)... is running very well in Windows... Haven't had a chance to mess with the Linux versions as of late (need to get a good distro running first)... They cut out a few things in the last couple builds to speed them up and reduce the memory usage... a nice improvement! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that the latest nighty Firebird builds haven't been that great (some serious bug problems)... If you're looking for a great build to run, I'd recommend sticking with the 06/11 build... It's probably the best one out there right now (with some back-end improvements over the milestone)... Hopefully they'll get all these new bugs fixed and get back on track! B)

Since 0.5 until 0.6 milestones I was updating almost daily.After they released 0.6 milestone I updated only once since it is running great and I don't have need for anything better at the moment :)

I hear ya there... At this point in the development process, unless you're really into bug-testing, it's probably best to stick with a good build and use it until something major happens. :) I still update almost everyday as a lot of people don't if they see that a particular bug is still around... I prefer to look for the new ones. :)

Cluttermagnet
Since we've got a bunch of Firebird users here, thought I'd see just how people use Firebird!  How often do you update your versions?  Are you caught up with the latest nightly builds?I keep two versions running on my home PC, the latest milestone (currently 0.6), and a favorite recent build (currently 6-08).  At work I try to update every day to keep up with the most stable build to be running at home...  So far they've all been very good, but some are a bit faster (also easier on the memory) than others... Feel free to vote/comment! :unsure:
Using Phoenix 0.5 almost entirely. Also liked Firebird 0.6 but it leaked memory badly in Win98SE. Still have it, just don't use it much. Maybe I will look at 6-8 and 6-11 since others have liked them. On dialup, it's too much to try every nightly build. Watching it grow with great interest. It has pretty much won me over already.

What I find odd with Firebird is:Upon reinstall of WinXP I had to completely resetup Firebird. That includes all the customization and bookmark files etc. For something that can just be unzipped and used the opposite does not seem to be true..Chris

What I find odd with Firebird is:Upon reinstall of WinXP I had to completely resetup Firebird. That includes all the customization and bookmark files etc. For something that can just be unzipped and used the opposite does not seem to be true..Chris
That's because your profile folder (where all customizations and bookmarks are stored) is not located in the same folder as the executable. The profile folder (in XP) is:C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxx.slt(the xxxxx.slt) is a random string of characters... This is the folder to backup when you're backing up Firebird. B)

Hmm, I should have known that. Mozilla does the same thing. Wekk I did the restoring by hand and must have missed those folders. I guess I will have to back them up before the next time XP crashes.

Yep... and they're not going to rename the profile to "Firebird" as they'll just rename it Mozilla when it replaces the Suite (as far as I know). Didn't want to confuse everyone by changing it yet. B)

Hey Doc,I stopped using firebird Mozilla over Mozilla 1.4 as i fine Moz 1.4 to be more elegant and cool, with various web site compatibility. I am waiting when they merge the code base.....;)

brucekrymow

Interesting, imranj, as I found the opposite to be the case for me. :D Glad it is working out. :DOne odd thing I have noticed is w/ F-bird is that when I 'Open in Tabs' a set of 5 links in a 'Bookmark' folder (this was my 'Groups' solution, Ryan) it opens 2 of each.Any way to rectify that?

Interesting, imranj, as I found the opposite to be the case for me.  :D  Glad it is working out.  :DOne odd thing I have noticed is w/ F-bird is that when I 'Open in Tabs' a set of 5 links in a 'Bookmark' folder (this was my 'Groups' solution, Ryan) it opens 2 of each.Any way to rectify that?
Known bug... have the exact same problem... Just right click on the folder and do open in tabs... then it won't duplicate them.