A reiserfs STORAGE Drive

kamicota

Hi All,Suse Partition really acting up :o and even for some reason PCLos does not see it the same as WindowsIf i format it reiserfs with Mandrake 10 boot cd can I store all my data/Photo/graphic/download files on it :huh: AND STILL be able to access them with PClos <_< Or am I whistling Dixie here :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :o :o Cheers for YearsColin :D

Yes you should. However, you might have to mount your partition in PC Los unless you have it added to your fstab. Julia <_<

ColinPCLos has automount . . . no need to mount manually . . . :blink: . . .if the partition was already there at the time you installed PCLos it will already be in fstab . . . :P Bruno

HMMMMMMMMM GUESS it seems as if HDA9 is NOT mounted can't remember if I put Suse on After PCLos or not[root@localhost root]# cat /etc/mtab/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part9 / reiserfs rw,noatime,notail,notail 0 0none /proc proc rw 0 0none /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0none /dev devfs rw 0 0/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/hda1 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 /mnt/hda5 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6 /mnt/hda6 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part7 /mnt/hda7 reiserfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,notail 0 0[root@localhost root]# cat /etc/fstab### entries below this line were automatically added by LiveCD installnone /proc proc defaults 0 0none /dev devfs defaults 0 0# fd: H1440none /mnt/fd0 supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=udf:iso9660,user,exec,rw,noauto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0# /dev/hda1, size=12289662, type=11: FAT32 (primary)/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat user,exec,rw,auto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0# /dev/hda5, size=24579387, type=11: FAT32 (extended)/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat user,exec,rw,auto,iocharset=iso8859-1,co depage=850,umask=0 0 0# /dev/hda6, size=2056257, type=11: FAT32 (extended)/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 vfat user,exec,rw,auto,iocharset=iso8859-1,co depage=850,umask=0 0 0# /dev/hda7, size=20482812, type=387: Journalised FS: ReiserFS (extended)/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 reiserfs user,exec,rw,auto,notail,noatime 0 0# /dev/hda8, size=1927737, type=130: Linux swap (extended)/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0# /dev/hda9, size=18956637, type=387: Journalised FS: ReiserFS (extended)/dev/hda9 / reiserfs notail,noatime,notail,noatime 0 0# cdrom: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4081Bnone /mnt/hdc supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,user,exec,ro ,noauto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0,nohide 0 0[root@localhost root]# :o ;) But as I seem to be heading to make it a backup Drive for all my work as PCLos is running GREAT :D and thought about using Mandrake 10 Install cd just as far as Partitioning is concerned though there is an EASIER WAY >_< :) and surely that is through PCLos isn't it :) Cheers for YearsColin

Colinhda9 is mounted:

dev/hda9 / reiserfs notail,noatime,notail,noatime 0 0
it is your root partition . . . . . . >_< Bruno

HMMMMMMMM Bruno THANKX Yet I do NOT see it in konqueror DEVICEShave found Qparted in configuration Do I just --->Operations/& format and it will take care of the restColin >_<

Are you absolutely postiive it is Suse? Are you trashing your suse? Are you ready to do a clean install when you trash everything and do all your updates again????Julia >_<

Julia Seems I'm now going to use the Suse drive for storage, and just fly with pclos :) One way to become more familiar with One distro first ;) Am I courting >_< disaster or problems with Pclos by doing this :) :) :D Colin :o

I have not looked closely at your drive yet. Don't do anything until Bruno says it is ok. Of course you are courting disaster. Anytime you go and change what a partition is used for you are taking a chance!Julia :)

Hi ColinIf it is hda9 you want to reformat . . . first take it out of /etc/fstab and reboot . . . This is the part to delete :

# /dev/hda9, size=18956637, type=387: Journalised FS: ReiserFS (extended)/dev/hda9 / reiserfs notail,noatime,notail,noatime 0 0

:) Bruno

HOW do I do this :) "first take it out of /etc/fstab " This is what I got in Console [root@localhost root]# /etc/fstabbash: /etc/fstab: Permission denied[root@localhost root]#Still looking for /etc/fstabkamicota a little :) :)

HOW do I do this  :o  "first take it out of /etc/fstab " This is what I got in Console [root@localhost root]# /etc/fstabbash: /etc/fstab: Permission denied[root@localhost root]#Still looking for /etc/fstabkamicota a little  :blink:  :o
Hi ColinWhat editor do you want to use ? kwrite or kedit . . . see which one you have and tell me . . then I will tell you how to do it . . . B) Bruno

Hi ColinKwrite works like notepad . . . . ;)Do this: ( as root )

# kwrite /etc/fstab

It will bring up a GUI . . . and delete the lines:

# /dev/hda9, size=18956637, type=387: Journalised FS: ReiserFS (extended)/dev/hda9 / reiserfs notail,noatime,notail,noatime 0 0

Then save the file . . ( the floppy icon in the menu-bar )And post me:

# cat /etc/fstab

:blink: Bruno

Used Kwrite first NOTHING then console --->>>[root@localhost root]# cat /etc/fstab### entries below this line were automatically added by LiveCD installnone /proc proc defaults 0 0none /dev devfs defaults 0 0# fd: H1440none /mnt/fd0 supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=udf:iso9660,user,exec,rw,noauto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0# /dev/hda1, size=12289662, type=11: FAT32 (primary)/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat user,exec,rw,auto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0# /dev/hda5, size=24579387, type=11: FAT32 (extended)/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat user,exec,rw,auto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0# /dev/hda6, size=2056257, type=11: FAT32 (extended)/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 vfat user,exec,rw,auto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0# /dev/hda7, size=20482812, type=387: Journalised FS: ReiserFS (extended)/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 reiserfs user,exec,rw,auto,notail,noatime0 0# /dev/hda8, size=1927737, type=130: Linux swap (extended)/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0# cdrom: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4081Bnone /mnt/hdc supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,user,exec,ro,noauto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0,nohide 0 0[root@localhost root]#

Okay Colin . . here we go:This is the command ( as root ):

# mkfs  -t ext3 /dev/hda9

And the partition is empty and formatted . . . . :blink:( Careful do not make any mistakes . . . LOL )B) Bruno

Here's the reply[root@localhost root]# mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hda9mke2fs 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)/dev/hda9 is mounted; will not make a filesystem here![root@localhost root]#Colin :blink:

OOPS NO reboot to PCLosPanic :P :ph34r: :hmm: :P It asked about EXT2 File system tried "Y" for repair No successAsked for "Type Control-D" did and whatever elseThought I'd post this before a less PANICKY :whistling: approach is takenColin :D

ColinYou should NOT have pressed Y . . . you are using ext3 and not ext2 . . . . try reboot again . . if it fails you have to reinstall !Did you get the newsletter this week . . and read the Linux tip ??

Extra Tip: One last tip everyone should be clear on: If you use the Ext3 or ReiserFS file systems and you get a message on reboot to do a file-system check, do NOT press "Y" (for Yes) or any other key whatsoever. In fact, you should do nothing at all. Just wait for the journaling file system to do its thing and solve the problem automatically.
:whistling: Bruno

Colin . . . /dev/hda9 was NOT your SUSE partition . . . but it was PCLos !! ( hda7 is SUSE !!! ) . . . we need to get it back in fstab !You are in SUSE now ?? . . So pay good attention:

# mkdir /mnt/hda9# mount /dev/hda9 /mnt/hda9# kwrite /mnt/hda9/etc/fstab

This will bring up the GUI of Kwrite . . . now insert the line:

/dev/hda9 / reiserfs notail,noatime,notail,noatime 0 0

And save the file . . . . then:

# umount /mnt/hda9

and

# reboot

Only if you get no errors . . continue . . else report back !:whistling: Bruno

HECK first time in ROOT in Suse toolinux:~ # mkdir /mnt/hda9linux:~ # mount /devhda9 /mnt/hda9mount: special device /devhda9 does not existlinux:~ # kwrite /mnt/hda9/etc/fstabThis is where I'm at in Kwrite--->>>The file could not be saved. Please check if you have write permissionColin :whistling: