Wrong Icon for HTML files

PeeJay

My HTML files no longer show the proper icon - they show what appears to be some sort of default icon for unassociated file types.I have tried using Tools|FolderOptions|FileTypes|Advanced|ChangeIconbut it doesn't workI have tried freeware file association tools but they do work(Both the above work for other file types)I deleted the file ShellIconCache file some time ago but it has never been remade as it is supposed to be.Can any one suggest a cure?Thanks in anticipation.

Guest LilBambi

Are you referring to the webpage .html files that generally have the Internet Explorer "E"In My Computer|View|Folder Options, File Types Tab, find the one labeled "Internet Document (HTML)", then choose Edit.Highlight Open and click Edit button:Make sure it has the following in application used to perform action:"C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\iexplore.exe"Make sure DDE is clicked and the following info in the following:DDE Message: "%1",,-1,0,,,,Application: IE ExploreDDE application not running: *Topic: WWW_OpenURLNewWindowThen click OK.Then refresh your desktop (right click on the desktop and choose refresh). Note it should then use the right Icon, but there is always a chance that you may have to reboot to see it.Hope that helps. Please let us know.

Yes, I am referring to the webpage .html files that generally have the Internet Explorer "E"Yes, I had already tried all you suggest and all settings are correct. I also tried changing the icon to something else but that did not work either.Any other suggestions from the group would be very welcome

My XP Pro & ME sometimes get confused with icons on the desktop & on the Quickstart bar. They're usually program shortcuts & will either put in a generic icon or the same as another on my desktop. For example, my minesweeper took on the icon of mailwasher?!? Mailwasher shortcut became the generic icon - this at 2 completely different times. I delete the shortcut & remake it & icon is then OK!Who can guess? ;)

nlinecomputers

PeeJay,What OS are you running? Also do the icon files work? Do they open Explorer up the proper webpage even if they have the wrong icon?Have you downloaded and tried TweakUI? It has an icon rebuilder in it.

Guest ThunderRiver

nlinecomputers, yep that's exactly what I was thinking.. TweakUI. That little utility should do the trick

Thanks for repliesNathan Williams wrote:-> What OS are you running?Win XP SP1> Also do the icon files work? Do they open Explorer up the proper> webpage even if they have the wrong icon?Yes - apart from wrong icon every else works fine.> Have you downloaded and tried TweakUI? It has an icon rebuilder in it.Yes - tried that too - no difference ;) Any other suggestions will be gratefully accepted!!

I was going to direct you to the PCForrest web site's great fix for this problem @http://www.pcforrest.freeserve.co.uk/reg_h...s.htm#iconcachehowever the site is no longer online as you will also find out if you try their main URL ;)http://www.pcforrest.freeserve.co.uk/OK, here is the full Registry hack1) Copy everything between these ########## 2 lines below2) Paste it into a Text file3) Save it as ShellIconCache_4.reg (or any other name that you want to use, it doesn't matter)4) Click on the saved file to merge it into your Registry5) Click on the OK button 5) Open your Folder Options \ View tab to verify that it was successfully merged into your Registry with the 2048 Radio Button selectedNote: I would NOT increase it above the 2048 default unless you still experience problems as it will just unnecessarily slow your OS down some--------------------------------------------------------------------------------IconCache Increase the shell's icon cache. An improved method.This hack will also increase the icon cache size but this time it is selectable from the Explorer > View > Folder Options > View tab where you will be offered 4 choices: 1024, 2048, 4096 or 8192.###############################################################Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\IconCache]"Text"="Icon Cache Size""Type"="group""Bitmap"="SHDOC401.DLL,6""HelpID"="update.hlp#51140"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\IconCache\Small]"RegPath"="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer""Text"="1024 Icons""Type"="radio""CheckedValue"="1024""ValueName"="Max Cached Icons""DefaultValue"="2048""HKeyRoot"=dword:80000002"HelpID"="update.hlp#51140"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\IconCache\Medium]"RegPath"="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer""Text"="2048 Icons""Type"="radio""CheckedValue"="2048""ValueName"="Max Cached Icons""DefaultValue"="2048""HKeyRoot"=dword:80000002"HelpID"="update.hlp#51140"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\IconCache\Large]"RegPath"="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer""Text"="4096 Icons""Type"="radio""CheckedValue"="4096""ValueName"="Max Cached Icons""DefaultValue"="2048""HKeyRoot"=dword:80000002"HelpID"="update.hlp#51140"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\IconCache\Huge]"RegPath"="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer""Text"="8192 Icons""Type"="radio""CheckedValue"="8192""ValueName"="Max Cached Icons""DefaultValue"="2048""HKeyRoot"=dword:80000002"HelpID"="update.hlp#51140"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer]"Max Cached Icons"="2048"###############################################################Note: You will have to rebuild (or delete) your ShellIconCache afterwards to create a new ShellIconCache fileGood Luck B)

nlinecomputers

At this point I would say reinstall Internet Explorer. Using TweakUI or the registry hack is the same thing. Icon's can only be rebuilt if the source file is still intact. I suspect it is corrupt.

SonicDragon

try right-clicking on the icon>Open With>Choose Program>Select your program>check box that says always use this program.See if that helps :)

Sluggo - thanks for registry infoI tried it but no difference B) Funny thing is if I save a web page in "Web page archive" (.mht) format it gets the right icon for .mht !!!But saving in "Web page complete" or "Web page only" (.html) still gives the generic icon, not the IE one.Maybe I will have to just put up with it but it is annoying - or maybe I will try an IE reinstall as Natah suggests.Thanks all .............

Hi PeeJayWell if you've tried all of the posted suggestions and it still doesn't display the correct icon then I would suggest that you follow nlinecomputers's suggestion B)

At this point I would say reinstall Internet Explorer.  Using  TweakUI or the registry hack is the same thing.  Icon's can only be rebuilt if the source file is still intact.  I suspect it is corrupt.

Strange - I now see that when I look at favourites in IE the correct icon is displayed!!But still not showing for when I look at files in Windows Wxplorer or desktop!!

Strange - I now see that when I look at favourites in IE the correct icon is displayed!!But still not showing for when I look at files in Windows Wxplorer or desktop!!
Hi PeeJayCan you tell us what the icon looks like, is normally used for, etc ?It *might* be a FrontPage icon if the file was created with FrontPage and you have FrontPage installed ?If that is the case, you'll have to edit the file's HTML source code and remove the META tag that states that it was created by FrontPage in order for the default IE icon to be displayed :(And welcome to the Forum Ken :unsure:

Ken - thanks for links but I have already tried everything in them :) Sluggo - thanks for continued posts.Can't find a way to insert an image here - if I could I would include the icon.It looks like a computer monitor screen on a stand with blue screen - I think it is the default icon that shows up when nothing is associated with a file type.But hang on - I have made the image my "avatar" so if I did the right it should show up on the left!I do not have FrontPage installed.Cheers ...........

Hi PeeJay

It looks like a computer monitor screen on a stand with blue screen - I think it is the default icon that shows up when nothing is associated with a file type.But hang on - I have made the image my "avatar" so if I did the right it should show up on the left!
That was very creative of you and it worked OK, however I do not have XP installed and can only guess that it's the My Computer icon ?As for what icon is used for an unknown file type with XP, again I can't say so maybe somebody else that is using XP can clarify that for you ?I suppose that you could try associating the file in question with say the Notepad icon (actually any readily distinguishable icon) and rebuilding the ShellIconCache just to see if that displays correctly, then change it back to what should be the default icon ?You could also send the file in question to a friend to see how it displays on their OS ?

Thanks to those who replied.Problem GONE!! :D I ended up reinstalling the SP1 upgrade for Win XP and the right icon is now showing.Cheers .............

Not mentioned, or I missed in reading this long thread, is the source of the icon you see. Even though you may all know I'll throw in for the one who does not. You pick up the default icon for a site if the site does not have one. The image required for the icon must be a 16 x 16 pixel icon (*.ico) file. The image is added to the site in one of two ways; 1. A 16x16 pixel icon file named "favicon.ico" placed in the root directory of the website. 2. A link inside the HTML document to the icon to represent the page. The LINK tag is placed between the <HEAD> and </HEAD> tags in this format; <LINK REL="Shortcut Icon" Href="myicon.ico"> Ed