Equivalents and/or Replacements

quint

Hi all,Just ran by this website, in my travels, and thought that it might be of interest to some people, (perhaps those who are making the transition to Linux...or thinking about it). It is a "pretty-good" listing - pertinent, no ads to speak of, as a matter of fact, this is one helpful site! :( :D http://albertwhite.com/pub/linux/windows-linux.html ( More recent and up-to-date : http://www.linuxalt.com/ )Hope you like it. :(NOTE: I corrected the link . . . . . and Here is another one posted further in the thread by jaquoval.And another site with the same info linuxeq.com-- Bruno

Edited by Bruno

QuintThis is a helpfull site indeed . . . thanks for the link.Looks like there are more than enough alternatives for Windows applications !Imagine all that software for free . . ( except one or two ) ready for download and install on your Linux-box. :) :);) Bruno

hey now, i found that list and mentioned it a month or so ago. ;) but thanks for re-kindling interest in this site. i always refer to this site and its very useful (except for their "web design alternatives" list; all linux web design tools are a joke, IMO)

hey now, i found that list and mentioned it a month or so ago.  :D but thanks for re-kindling interest in this site.  i always refer to this site and its very useful (except for their "web design alternatives" list;  all linux web design tools are a joke, IMO)
Sorry, Prelude76, I really was not aware of that. :( It is a great site! :)

quint, i was just razzing. its not like it's my site. :) but it's a good topic starter. forget their huge list. let's hear from all of us which we use.Music: XMMSVideo: MplayerCDR: KBurnEmail: EvolutionBrowser: Mozilla/KonquerorFile Manager: Konquerorwhat to you guys use the most? what about FTP? Newsgroups? Instant Messaging? Graphic editing? Graphic viewing? I still havent found which prog i like the most for those categories. In particular, I'm looking for a viewer similar to ACDSee, and a image editor similar to PaintShopPro. And Trillian for IM. I tried Gimp, but i'm just not getting the grasp of it. it's 'windows-all-over-the-place' interface and tiny black&white icons are hard to get used to. and gaim doesnt hold a candle to Trillian, but maybe theres a skin to make it more inviting?

What I use ( I did publish this list before, but since you ask for it . . . )DISTRO´SMandrake 9.1Debian 3.0 Slackware 9.0VectorLinux SOHO 3.2VectorLinux 3.2 ( old computer )MULTIMEDIAVideo --> mplayerogg --> xmmsmp3 --> xmmsCD --> KsCDCD ripping --> KonquerorStreams --> RealPlayer G2/xmmsEncoder --> Lame ( NotLame )Recorder --> vsound and krecSequenser --> RosegardenAudioEditor --> AudacitySynthesizer --> AmsynthBasssynth --> FreebirthLoops --> SpyralloopsGRAPHICSImages general/editing --> The GimpIcons --> Gnome Icon editor ( sometimes Gimp )Viewer --> anything that comes up ( Gimp )INTERNETEmail --> Evolution ( addresses/agenda/mail ) ( Mutt on the old Vector )Browser --> Galeon ( Firebird in Slackware, Phoenix in Vector, Konqueror in Debian, Dillo in the old Vector )Download --> integrated in GaleonBanking --> KonquerorOFFICEOpenOffice.orgSYSTEMBurning --> k3b / cdcopy ( commandline )ISO´s --> cdrecord / cdcopyEditors --> Vi !! :)Console --> Konsole ( transparent )Monitoring --> GkrellmDocs --> Rute / Mandrake the definitive manual / Easy computing LinuxGeneral --> Midnight CommanderASTRONOMYCelestiaXplnsKstarsFORUMAll Things Linux ;)I fear the list is not complete, but it´s a good start.:) Bruno

Forget Windows altogether and just make do with what Linux offers!
not a valid solution when it comes to web designing. dreamweaver is like a sports car, while everything in Linux for web designing is like a bicycle. sure, it will get you there, and you'll get a decent workout too, BUT it wont get you there as fast and in such style. ;) when you have tables into tables into tables with javascripts everywhere, hand-coding is NOT an option. i dont feel like re-inventing the wheel. i need a good full featured WYSIWYG style web page editor, and all i could find was HTML editors.p.s.- also, need all my windows games. i cant play tux racer all the time. :rolleyes:

Hi all,Will take this opportunity to get into the act...from a "beginner's" viewpoint:DISTRO'S:VectorSOHO 3.2Slackware 9.0Mandrake 9.1SuSE 8.2RedHat 9.0AUDIO:XMMSVIDEO:OgleGRAPHICS:GimpKSnapshotKIconEditE-MAIL:Ximian EvolutionThunderbirdBROWSER:Firebird GaleonOFFICE:OpenOfficeUTILITIES:K3bcdcopyMCViGAMES:Shisen-ShoFreecellASTRONOMY:KStarsFORUM:Scot'sPCQ&AAm sure that there will be additions / subtractions as I learn more. B)

• 1 month later...

This is a good idea for linux beginners.What a beginner needs is the name of just one program that does the things that his/her favortie program on windows does. Linux distros today come with tens of programs that do the same thing and people get confused.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I agree, but I don't know if it's possible. Generally speaking, there are many programs available for any task. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Some vary depending on the desktop used (KDE vs GNOME vs etc...).What may work is a list that shows which is the "best for general use" option for both main desktop environments. So, for example, we could have:BrowserKDE: KonquerorGNOME: Galeon (I'm biased :huh: - I guess the "best for general use" option would be Epiphany)Generic: Mozilla (or Mozilla Firebird)Email ClientKDE: KmailGNOME: EvolutionSomething like that. It still shows the main options (a couple for each category) without overwhelming newcomers. Maybe having a very brief description after each would also be helpful (like "K3b (similar to Easy CD Creator)" or "Evolution (similar to MS Outlook)")

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently starting using the Xine player. It has been much easier to use out of the box than mplayer, I don't begrudge the work learning all the funny switches and options in mplayer, but, Xine has done everything I wanted it to without the learning curve.One big feature is the easy access to the monitor chroma and brightness controls.It has also not hung up on some problem videos. Runs without problems on a system mplayer complained was underpowered.Tested from Knoppix 3.3(DVD,SVCD) and Mandrake 9.1(SVCD). Both Ok. Was particularly impressed by the way Xine recognized the different hardware configurations automatically.It is also supposed to handle many of the standard digital formats (with plugins in some cases). Have not tested this yet but expecting good results.My recommendation for the video player equivalent for Linux.

An update on the previous note.Ran into a problem yesterday with a DVD that Xine could not handle. Needed to use mplayer to get it to play (funny menu and audio structure). Also need it for DIVX. Bottomline. Previous recommendation still stands for Xine as the default player (particularly for new users), but mplayer is definitely a dandy backup. I have not tested the new version of mplayer yet (waiting for it to go stable). But, it is supposed to go a long way to improving it's deficiencies in installation and user interface complexity.

• 1 month later...

I ran across an interesting article in the Christmas 2003 issue of Linux Format about migration. They did comparisons of Windows/Linux equivalents. Their equivalents include:MS Office --> http://www.openoffice.org Open OfficeMS Office Access --> http://www.softwareag.com/adabas/ (trial page is gone now)JASC PAintshop Pro/Adobe Photoshop--> The GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program)Apple iPhoto --> PixiePlus found at http://www.mosfet.org or http://www.rpmfind.netWinAmp/iTunes --> Juk at http://www.musicbrainz.org for vast collections or KaudioCreator and XMMS for non-power users.Nero Burning Rom --> K3bWindows Media Player/WinDVD --> MPlayer at http://mp.dev.hu/homepage and Xine at http://xinehq.deInternet Explorer: KMail, Evolution, Thunderbird and OperaSamba --> Samba--Julia :PUpdated to correct dead link.

Edited by teacher

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
martinultima

I have a short comparison I've been working on comparing Windows with what I feel is its closest Linux match (KDE). Here's the link: http://multima_redhat.tripod.com/linux/windows-vs-kde.htmlBy the way, here's my table of Windows/Linux equivalents that I actually use...Web BrowserWindows: MozillaLinux: MozillaOfficeWindows: OpenOffice.orgLinux: OpenOffice.orgPhoto EditingWindows: The GIMPLinux: The GIMPMedia PlayerWindows: RealJukebox (although trying to compile XMMS)Linux: XMMSText EditorWindows: PyWordLinux: PyWord(NOTE: PyWord is one of my own programs.)

SonicDragon
Windows: RealJukebox (although trying to compile XMMS)
Maybe you'd like to try Winamp instead. XMMS is more or less a Winamp clone so, you could have XMMS without having to compile it :)

• 1 month later...
martinultima
Maybe you'd like to try Winamp instead. XMMS is more or less a Winamp clone so, you could have XMMS without having to compile it ;)
Maybe... although the whole point is that I don't want all that much proprietary software on my system... I think at least 1/3 of my Windows programs are open-source (as well as all but one program I use on Linux, which would be the driver for my wireless card via NdisWrapper) :)RhythmBox has become my new favorite on Linux - I've heard it's meant to be a clone of iTunes, but I think it reminds me more of RealJukebox (only better B) )By the way, I've updated my Windows-vs-KDE page a bit - both new content and easier to read. Although it's nowhere near comprehensive, it's a halfway-decent (at least in my opinion) comparison of Windows applications with what I feel are their closest matches in the Linux world.PS - I'm still a GNOME user myself, though B) B)

• 4 months later...

Wasn't able to access the link from Quint's original post in this thread, but I did run across another Guide to equivalents, at Linux Signpost. I corrected the link on the first page . . . and added yours too, thanks ! . . . . . Bruno

Edited by Bruno

• 1 month later...

One nice thing about mplayer, is that you can play a movie on one of the virtual terminals if you are using double-buffering. You don't need to start X-Windows first.

• 5 months later...
misunderstruck

DISTROS: Fedora 3, GentooBrowser: FirefoxEmail: ThunderbirdWYSIWYG HTML Editor: NvuGraphics: The GIMPIM: Gaimmp3 player: Xmmsmp3 ripper: GripiPod interface: GtkpodCD burning: K3bVideo: Kaffeine, Totem, Ogle, or Mplayer (sorry, I realize someone earlier in the thread mentioned that one of the difficulties of Linux for a newcomer is the plethora of choices, but I really do use all of these at different points, often depending on which computer I am on and what sort of video format I wish to view.)File browsing: Nautilus or Evidence.

hmmm for video I find Mplayer and Xine to be the best.html, I really like quanta+, gonna have to try this nvu one of these days

misunderstruck

I had Quanta+ on the laptop when Mandrake was installed, but I haven't reinstalled it since the Gentoo makeover. I did like it a lot when I tried it out though. My favorite feature is the split-screen view of visual page layout with the source directly beneath it. In Nvu you can toggle back and forth between visual and source modes via tabs at the bottom. Nvu started as a standalone version of Mozilla Composer, and has been improved from there. I had used Mozilla (and Netscape) Composer a bit before, so Nvu was familiar.

• 2 months later...

HI all, my first post here!Having recently needed the use of knoppix v4.0 to salvage some files off a npotebook that crashed running xp sp2 (it went into an infinite loop of trying to boot and failing...DONT LAUGH...he he)... as I was saying, this was my first experience of any Linux based OS... I was very impressed with the speed of the applications opening and the quality of the feel of the whole package.. Course I didn't know what half the software on knoppix was...I just explored a little...found the samba network thing and transferred my files to my desktop..Result...successful salvage operation thanks to knoppix..To cut a long story short...I have since been wondering about any audio sequencing and/or recording software that maybe available on a Linux system..The lists you have all provided above are good...but not really that informative ...just names...For instance, I'm a musician and mainly use my computer system to either transfer audio recordings into the digital domain for recording and/or manipulation or to create digital audio sequences to be used in live situations..My main tools are Reason 3 (propellorheads) for sequencing and effecting samples , Sound Forge (sonic foundry) for audio manipulation and editing , Ableton Live 4 for sequencing imported audio- which can also be run parallel (rewired) to reason 3..So my main question would be, as a potential Linux convert, what would be the replacements for these tools on a Linux system?PS: I cant afford a mac and am a firm believer in the recycling of computer parts...

Hi kel_junktionWelcome to the forum !!I would suggest you do some browsing here: http://linux-sound.org/ . . that site has everything listed what is available on music/sound in Linux. ( It is an absolute goldmine )My guess is that you will find all the stuff you need . . . . . after that it is just a case of choosing a good Linux distro where you can easily install the programs you found above.Now, some of the programs will be just as "easy" to work with as in Windows . . some of them might be a bit harder to learn . . . but I assure you that the final result/quality will be at least just as good.:) Bruno

... some of the programs will be just as "easy" to work with as in Windows . . some of them might be a bit harder to learn . . .
Thanks Bruno for the quick response... Yeah there seems to be quite a range of stuff on offer, thats a good thing!! For ages I've known people who make music but can't shell out 350 squid for a piece of software... :w00t: then having to resort to other means which then eventually fail.. :) probably mainly due to laziness anyway that people resort to using windows "dont think, just click" software... :) A little more thinking/learning would be a great price to pay for alternatives!.. :) Looking forward to getting my hands on some of these Audio Distro's.. :w00t: .still not quite sure where to start...maybe slackware? Tho the site seems to be down or gone..(AudioSlack)..m-dist looks quite good :w00t: too!...another slackware based audio distro...so where do I get this slackware then? :w00t: