Wireless connection not working in Ubuntu 12.10

Jade88

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I have some Unix background (years ago), but this is the first time I have used the Ubuntu operating system. I just installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a Dell Latitude laptop. I got a ransomeware virus on the laptop and decided I was going to try something other than Windows. During the install I realized that the wireless connection was not working. I am thinking this was caused by the ransomeware. I ran the lspci command in the terminal and it showed that I had the Broadcom BCM4311 Network Controller. I was trying to read online if others had this problem, but I could not find a solution that was easy to understand. Would anyone on this forum know how to get the wireless card to start working again?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi, Jade88.

Welcome to SNF! I'm glad you decided to come here for advice. Fingers crossed that someone here will have the right solution for you.

Thanks so much. I still can't get the wireless to work. I went to the page you suggested and followed the directions titles 10.04(Lucid Lynx). I also tried installing b43-fwcutter. When I went to Sysytem Settings>Software Sources> Additional Drivers it says using Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source from bcmwl-kernel-source. This is selected. The other option is Do not use this device. I also noticed that the wireless switch light does not go on anymore after the computer got infected.

Two things I would try.

1 - Check that the device is not disabled in the BIOS. If it is on in the BIOS, try # 2.

2 - Boot from a LiveCD/USB (I usually use PartedMagic) to see if the wireless works.

I went to the page you suggested and followed the directions titles 10.04(Lucid Lynx).

Did you try the instructions for 12.04, since that is what you said you installed in your first post?

11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) - 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal)

Open a Terminal and if you haven't already done so, update your package list:

sudo apt-get update

If you have a b43 card use the command

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

or, if you need the b43legacy driver, use:

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43legacy-installer

or, if you need a LP-PHY version (e.g BCM4312), use:

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer

Restart the computer or reload the b43/b43legacy module as outlined in the Switching between drivers section below (replace b43 with b43legacy where appropriate).

Note: Since 11.10 the package linux-firmware-nonfree also contains b43 firmware (changelog). This may contain a different/newer version of the firmware depending on release.

Thanks so much. I still can't get the wireless to work. I went to the page you suggested and followed the directions titles 10.04(Lucid Lynx). I also tried installing b43-fwcutter. When I went to Sysytem Settings>Software Sources> Additional Drivers it says using Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source from bcmwl-kernel-source. This is selected. The other option is Do not use this device. I also noticed that the wireless switch light does not go on anymore after the computer got infected.

First of all, the virus in Windows is no longer present when you boot into Linux. However, it could have turned the wireless adapter off and you need to turn it back on in Linux. Next, the Dell Broadcom wifi is notorious for being difficult to get working in Ubuntu and isn't what I'd recommend for someone new to Linux. And the apt-get commands require that you already have an Internet connection. Does the laptop have a wired connection to use in setting up the wifi?

Actually, it might be easier to use another distro such as Mepis or Bodhi.

Thank you for all of your help. I have tried all suggestions and still no luck. I do have a wired connection that works. Lewmur, you suggested Mepis or Bodhi. I may have to try that unless someone else has a suggestion. I have also read about the Broadcom wifi issues, and it seems like it may not be easy to fix. I can keep trying if anyone has any other ideas. I hate to give up :) I really wanted to get this working.

Guest LilBambi

The guy who fixed it with this started out from a different direction, but it fixed it for him and the person he posted it to:

After running 12.10 updates on my laptop with Broadcom 4312 wireless my wireless broke with the new 3.5.0-18 kernel update.

To fix I went into Software Sources & disabled the STA driver then I'm assuming at least the last 3 commands in this fixed it:

Code:

sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl

sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source

sudo apt-get install build-essential dkms linux-headers-generic

sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

I didn't have to reboot or anything. It just immediately found my wireless adapter and connected wirelessly again.

Edited by LilBambi

securitybreach

Welcome Jade88, welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

As far as your issue, I would follow the link that Fran (LilBambi) mentioned as it seems to work well.

Thank you for all of your help. I have tried all suggestions and still no luck. I do have a wired connection that works. Lewmur, you suggested Mepis or Bodhi. I may have to try that unless someone else has a suggestion. I have also read about the Broadcom wifi issues, and it seems like it may not be easy to fix. I can keep trying if anyone has any other ideas. I hate to give up :) I really wanted to get this working.

lspci -vvnn | grep 14e4

Use the above code to determine which Broadcom adapter you have. If you show [14e4:4311], then you are in luck as I have a Dell sitting in my lap with that adapter. I will install 12.10 on it and see what it takes to get the wifi working. Problem is it's almost midnight, so I won't be able to get to it tonight. I'll try in the morning and let you know my results if you haven't found another solution by then.

• Like 2

I ran lspci -vvnn | grep 14e4

Result:

Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4312] (rev 01)

Looks like it's not the same.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!!! I am going to try the other suggestions in the morning.

Result:

Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11a/b/g [14e4:4312] (rev 01)

Thanks to everyone for all your help!!! I am going to try the other suggestions in the morning.

It's close enough. They take the same driver.
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Welcome, Jade88!

Having fun with your Broadcom wireless, huh? Been there, done that one. There's a pretty knowledgeable crowd here. but if they can't get you squared away, I'll put in a call for the Broadcom/Ubuntu Slayer - Urmas. He got me squared away on a Broadcom a while back --> read more about it...

here --> http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=39979entry307893

and here --> http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=56341entry355329

It wasn't pretty, but it's an entertaining read. ;)

Result:

This worked. Click the "Dash" button and type "Software" in the search field. An Icon should appear labeled "Software Sources". Click it and wait for the window. In the top bar click "Additional Drivers". Your Broadcom device should appear. Click the "Do not use this device" and then "Apply Changes". Once it's done its thing, open a terminal and type "sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer".

It should search for the download and when it finds it ask if you want to install. Type "y" and let it do its thing. When finished, reboot and wifi should be working. Good luck.

• Like 1

I got it!!!!! Thanks so much for everyone's help. This group is so helpful and knowledgeable. I followed the directions from the link LilBambi provided. Lewmur, I was going to try your fix next if that didn't work. Earlier in this process I was thinking I should deactivate the driver listed, but wasn't sure if I was right.

Glad I didn't give up.

Again, thanks so much. I will be spending some time reading the tips under Bruno's Classroom to familiarize myself with Linux

• Like 2

Guest LilBambi

I got it!!!!! Thanks so much for everyone's help. This group is so helpful and knowledgeable. I followed the directions from the link LilBambi provided. Lewmur, I was going to try your fix next if that didn't work. Earlier in this process I was thinking I should deactivate the driver listed, but wasn't sure if I was right.

Glad I didn't give up.

Again, thanks so much. I will be spending some time reading the tips under Bruno's Classroom to familiarize myself with Linux

Awesome! Glad that worked for you Jade88!! I thought it might. :thumbsup:

Great job on following the instructions too .. command line and all!

Welcome Jade88. There aren't many issues that the regulars who hang out in the Bruno's All Things Linux section can't solve.

Plus, no matter how basic your question might seem to the snobs/know-it-alls at other Linux forums, everyone here answers with a respectful attitude. As a result, you don't have to be afraid to ask questions.

• Like 3

Jade88, Welcome To BATL !!!!! Always great to see a new face. As mentioned earlier sometimes getting those broadcom wifi adapters working can be tricky in Linux. I believe most of us that solely use Linux have seen it before. We are a wonderful bunch and we REALLY enjoy helping new Linux Explorers not only learn Linux but ENJOY it as well. :)

Edited by ichase
  • Like 1