Vanishing Printers

raymac46

I have had a couple of people in my neighborhood who run Windows 10 report that their printer setup disappeared from the "Devices and Printers" section of Control Panel. Obviously they couldn't print anything. The solution was to add the printer back. I'm wondering if a Windows Update might have caused this. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks Fran. I just checked my own machines and the Devices Install Service is enabled and configured properly. This bug must be a random or intermittent one. Mr. Murphy being who he is, the one person I know (Lillian) who needs a stable system and wouldn't have a clue how to fix anything has been affected by it.

Lillian is her own worst enemy by constantly installing crapware and running Norton Security. She never buys her security suite or anything else online. I have to go over every year and completely uninstall Norton and reinstall it with a new licence she got from Staples. She never manages to get the same version of the security suite so the old one has expired and cannot have its licence updated.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

I love your Lillian stories! I'm sure it is a headache for you. I have a few completely clueless seniors. (The Craigslist one comes to mind) that have no idea how to keep a computer clean.

Yesterday was Lillian Thursday. I had to re-re Norton for another year. Then I showed her how to transfer her photos from a camera to the laptop, Then I reinstalled her photo printer, put a icon for Windows Paint on her desktop. She wanted an icon for her home banking as well, but I wan't sure what she was talking about so I bookmarked it for her in Firefox and Chrome.

Edited by raymac46

Lillian is lucky to have you. One of my Mom's best friends has not been online for a few years now because of the daily problems of keeping a computer operational. She spent a lot of money trying, but finally gave up. She was a pharmacist so was a smart professional, but now is a widow and alone. The phone is her only communication with the outside world.

The phone is her only communication with the outside world.
That's sad, but I can understand the difficulties for someone older who, while a smart professional, may not have been heavily into technology before and now finds it too challenging. Heck, sometimes I'm ready to give up myself.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Fran. I just checked my own machines and the Devices Install Service is enabled and configured properly. This bug must be a random or intermittent one. Mr. Murphy being who he is, the one person I know (Lillian) who needs a stable system and wouldn't have a clue how to fix anything has been affected by it.

Lillian is her own worst enemy by constantly installing crapware and running Norton Security. She never buys her security suite or anything else online. I have to go over every year and completely uninstall Norton and reinstall it with a new licence she got from Staples. She never manages to get the same version of the security suite so the old one has expired and cannot have its licence updated.

It is random and intermittent LOL! And it (the settings) looks perfectly fine right up till it isn't. A bit frustrating actually.

I do love it when you share Lillian stories. I can so identify with them LOL!