Resizing swap file in Linux

quint

Quint:Well, eh, kind of ! However very rare, ( extremely seldom compared to windows ) there are system freezes. Program crashes are more common du of bugs ( bugfixes ). Processes that run wild in a loop and keep consuming cpu, mostly because you made a mistake yourself. All those I call “runawayâ€. The first bue screen o.d. has  not been seen up till now on a Linux system. ( if you would see one, make a screenshot !! :( ) :( Bruno
Thanks for clearing that up, Bruno. :D Have had two freezes, but I attribute that to my only alloting 500MB for a LinuxSwap, and having several programs open at once. :( Which leads to the question: can I change the size of the Swap in Mandrake 9.1, without re-install?

Which leads to the question: can I change the size of the Swap in Mandrake 9.1, without re-install?
Yes.It also depends on whether or not you have free space on your disk to resize. If you don't you'll have to readjust some other partition, or put in another hard drive.

Which leads to the question: can I change the size of the Swap in Mandrake 9.1, without re-install?
Yes.It also depends on whether or not you have free space on your disk to resize. If you don't you'll have to readjust some other partition, or put in another hard drive.
Thanks, peachy. Believe I can do it with PartitionMagic, but is there a way that I can do it from within Mandrake - have plenty of free space. (Would like to take it from the existing Mandrake partition.) TA.

Believe I can do it with PartitionMagic
Quint, I know of many people with very bad experiences with PM and Linux !Better go to the Mandrake Control center --> Mount Points --> HarddisksYou can make a backup of important data in the MCC too !Bruno

Quint, after reading your post more carefully: a 500 MB swapfile is large enough, no need to change !I guess if you do the updates we talked about the system freezes will be a thing of the past. ( because the latest updates are specially for system freezes ! )Bruno

Quint, after reading your post more carefully: a 500 MB swapfile is large enough, no need to change !I guess if you do the updates we talked about the system freezes will be a thing of the past. ( because the latest updates are specially for system freezes ! )Bruno
Thanks again, Bruno; all of you guys/gals have been most helpful to me. :blink: