XP SP2 Problems/Questions thread

-ct-

Ok, so I got it and installed it. No problems for me, so far. :)I do have a question of two, and instead of trying to wade through M$'s site to find the answer, I figure I'll ask here since there's a faster response and pretty decent user-base."DEP"Data Execution Preventionwth? saw this under system properties> advanced tab>> data execution prevention tab when i was poking around while the service pack was installing itself it was all greyed out until I rebootedFrom what I read about it, it seems to be another form of anti-virus or firewall.

Understanding Data Execution PreventionData Execution Prevention (DEP) helps prevent damage from viruses and other security threats that attack by running (executing) malicious code from memory locations that only Windows and other programs should use. This type of threat causes damage by taking over one or more memory locations in use by a program. Then it spreads and harms other programs, files, and even your e-mail contacts.Unlike a firewall or antivirus program, DEP does not help prevent harmful programs from being installed on your computer. Instead, it monitors your programs to determine if they use system memory safely. To do this, DEP software works alone or with compatible microprocessors to mark some memory locations as "non-executable". If a program tries to run code—malicious or not—from a protected location, DEP closes the program and notifies you.DEP can take advantage of software and hardware support. To use DEP, your computer must be running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later. DEP software alone helps protect against certain types of malicious code attacks but to take full advantage of the protection that DEP can offer, your processor must support "execution protection". This is a hardware-based technology designed to mark memory locations as non-executable. If your processor does not support hardware-based DEP, it's a good idea to upgrade to a processor that offers execution protection features.
I have not heard of this in any review anywhere, so it's something of a suprise. Not only that, but I don't see a specific service that I can disable to get rid of this "feature". Why would I want to disable it? idunnoI'd just rather have the control, rather than having it forced on me.2nd, new item in control panelconrol panel> network setup wizardIs this really neccessary? Looks like yet another way to do something that would have been done already3rd, Windows FirewallWe've been over this before, but there's a slight twist as a "Security Center" service is now running and an icon similar in appearance to McAfee's is in the system tray.There's an icon for it in control panel as well.I got rid of that in a hurry! It did pick up the fact I have ZA Pro and AVG Pro installed though.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James M. Fisher

• -ct-

• Jason

• Ed_P

James M. Fisher

DEP explained here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...n/sp2mempr.mspxIn a nutshell: "Windows supports DEP on the AMD64 platform and Intel Itanium Processor Family (IPF) processors."It's feature that only these processors will/can utilize.That's "Wireless Network Setup Wizard".That Security icon should only appear if something needs your attention.

Edited by James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

Since there will be many questions about SP2 and some of it's new features over the next month or so, I wanted to post this link to an in-depth TechNet article explaining them:Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...n/sp2chngs.mspxIt was brought to my attention by EdP that this article is referring to the beta of SP2. This is true, but it still highlights the new features added in the final version of SP2.Here is another useful link EdP gave me:Learn About Windows XP Service Pack 2Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Support Center

Anandtech states that Intel will include this feature in their Prescott CPUs with the E0 stepping:

Along with the Lakeport/Glenwood introduction, the newest Intel roadmaps discussed another slightly surprising stepping for virtually all new CPUs. We are all familiar with AMD's much coveted "NX" or "No eXecute" feature; the Opteron/Athlon64 processor flags an exception when memory pages are marked as non-executable. If a malicious piece of code attempts to overwrite data in memory with instructions, the CPU will refuse to execute that page. Intel is also jumping on the NX bandwagon with its version of the technology called "XD", or "eXecute Disable." All Prescott based CPUs including Pentium 4, Xeon and Celeron D will support the XD feature with the "E-0" processor stepping. The Intel roadmaps hinted that these XD-enabled processors are detectable by a slightly different SKU. For example, a E-0 stepped Intel 520 processor may be marked as 520J. It is also said that a majority of new Pentium M processors will carry XD functionality. Unfortunately, these new "J" suffixed units are only for the Socket 775 architecture.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2111

The only app I have found (so far) that was broken by SP2 is Nero. I had version 6.3.0.2 installed.I downloaded the latest update from Nero.com, which is 6.3.1.17, and it is functioning perfectly with SP2. I even made a back-up of a DVD just to make sure. Works great!!!Hope this saves someone some aggravation....

i've noticied one thing so farmy ftp has a tray icon - it no longer lights up correctlyif a user is on, it would turn green, if not it's yellow, otherwise red for offlinenow, it's a bit of white and grey and won't changei suspect a reinstall of the server would fix it, but pffffff, i can't be bothered for that small detail

The only app I have found (so far) that was broken by SP2 is Nero. I had version 6.3.0.2 installed.
Hi Stryder,It just struck me that in the 'Old' days before a programme would install you would get a warning message "Disable all TSR's before installing, else you be struck dead!" or something that like..... :lol: and you disabled them manually.These day's you don't? :( I know that part of Nero runs in the background to make it available for whatever programme wants to use it..... and I wonder if M$ or any other programme for that matter, is capable of sorting out and disabling 'all' of the TSR's that we seem to 'need' these days before doing its own thing, and does it disable them effectively?. :( So! have we got complacent about TSR's, or do we just trust the installation processes to disable them for us, or is it not required today? :hmm: I still now, disable everything that is not essential before I install anything, and wonder if I need to do that? :hmm: While this may be part of what caused your problem, I don't want to get off-topic here, :rolleyes: maybe this needs a 'Thread' for discussion to see if it's wise anymore for particular software to be disabled before installing, adding to or patching etc.Anyway! Cheers....... You fixed it! B)

James M. Fisher

As a rule of thumb, it's always best (although not always practical) to disable/shutdown any and all running apps before installing a program and especially a Service Pack. Most programs' installers do prompt you to do this. AV programs in particular should be shutdown before installing a new program (or using Windows Update), although I have never had a problem with AVG running while doing so.

nlinecomputers

I've just installed this on one system last night. One thing I noticed is that the splash screen has been changed. In now only says WindowsXp and Not Windows Xp Professional. Can't for the life of me figure out why they'd waste time changing that. Or is this an indication that users of Xp Home are going to now have Professional features like domain access?

I've just installed this on one system last night.  One thing I noticed is that the splash screen has been changed.  In now only says WindowsXp and Not Windows Xp Professional.  Can't for the life of me figure out why they'd waste time changing that.  Or is this an indication that users of Xp Home are going to now have Professional features like domain access?
Interesting! :drooling: If that's true, I might consider settling for XP Home when I finally decide to upgrade, in that case!

James M. Fisher

I noticed this too, but never thought anything of it. I guess because the SP is for both versions and they had to update the copyright info?

nlinecomputers
I noticed this too, but never thought anything of it. I guess because the SP is for both versions and they had to update the copyright info?
Yeah I bet that is it. The old spash screen has a CR of 2001 and now I bet it says 2004

Just wishfull thinking... Pro is still pro and Home will still be home... Nothing has changed there. I'm sure it was for the benifit of Admins who will see at a glance if a machine is on SP1 or SP2... Since my machines run 24/7... does it really matter what the splash screen shows...?BTW, there is no copywrite date now...

Hey Ozi!!I did not do an individual shut down of all un-needed individual background services. There were not many anyway, I do not let things like Nero run in the background.After the install I started Nero and a pop-up appeared saying "this version of Nero is not compatible with SP2...please update Nero...." or something to that effect. This latest update for Nero was July 2nd. So I think this was something they (MS and Ahead) have known about for some time.

James M. Fisher

Symantec Norton product update for Windows® XP Service Pack 2http://tinyurl.com/3qhrv

Symantec will release a product update to provide native support for the Windows Security Center status utility found in SP2. This update will be available worldwide over the coming weeks and will enable Symantec products to communicate their status to the Windows Security Center utility. Symantec encourages its customers to install the product update prior to installing SP2 in order to avoid incorrect reporting from Windows Security Center. Symantec’s consumer customers will receive notification from their Norton product when the update is available. Consumers will be able to download the SP2 product update by clicking the LiveUpdate icon found in their Norton security software.

new problem which isn't so much of a a problemdue to what i found here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...t=0#entry100268i went to go check a few folders and use the rightclick context menu to select "scan with AVG"it wasn't therehad to open AVG control center, deactivate shell extension, then reactivate it to get it back on the right click menu :blink:

If you have Automatic Updates enabled but DON'T want Service Pack 2 just yet, Microsoft has a downloadable toolkit for temporarily blocking SP2. You can unblock it as needed, but after 120 days you won't be able to block from wanting to install on your computer. It will likely keep nagging you until you install it. :thumbsup:

Question:On the Network download site for SP2 - it states the download is not for a single PC. Why is that? B) I installed it on single PC's with no problems thus far.

James M. Fisher

This is the 'full' download, designed for network admins to apply to many XP boxes at once, but it can be applied to single installs as well. In fact, that's my preferred choice. Same with Office SPs.This is the download you need to create a 'slipstreamed' XP CD. MS encourages the average XP user to use WU to obtain SP2, or order the CD:

DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to receive an optimized download of SP2.
http://tinyurl.com/5boblThis installation method is promoted by Scot in the latest SFNL:
I prefer the network installation for several reasons. You get a local installer that you can use again and again. After the initial download, it's more convenient. You don't have to be online while you perform the installation. And best of all: I believe it will result in more reliable installations. Some percentage of the time, online installations fail because of the vagaries of the Internet. Microsoft has done some things to make its online setup process resumable, but I already have some reports of problems with online installs of XP SP2.

I downloaded there and installed on two computers at home. Tomorrow I will start on the classroom. I guess that qualifies as more than one! Smooth install. No problems that I ahve found. It owrked with AVG, Zone Alarm, and all myother programs. I have gone through and clicked a lot of areas to test it and it has been smooth sailing. Julia B)