CPU probs similar but not same as other post rece

trevbushell

trevbushell

I have had internet probs with a newly brought motherboard bundle, had two replacements which didnt connect to internet either, and eventually took it back to replace it with a different motherboard bundle. my system now is : celeron d 2.8Mhz, 512mb ram, foxconn 661MO3-G motherboard, maxtor 80gb H.D, Ge force fx5500 graphics card. win xp, cubase sx, fruityloops 3.5.i use the comp for audio ( making music) and noticed the new setup seems to be alot slower than the one it has replaced! When i load for example a cubase sx or fruityloops song it finds it difficult to cope and i get audio glitches and the CPU seems to reach 100% really easy. (I look at this in task manager) heres what happens.... sometimes when i start up the comp and load fruityloops all the sngs that come with it play with no probs, CPU is around 12% before playing "sympathy" ( a cpu hungry song bundled in fruityloops.) when i play it becomes 42%. no probs, and no glitches, popsthen suddenly without warning it will go beserk and CPU up to 100% +, for no reason. it glithces all over the place. sometimes i open dsp and it does it, sometimes i close fruity if hasnt gone bad and open cubase sx and it bacomes bad there too, glithches and crackles.!! once it does this it never returns to ok untill i restart the comp.if i shut windows and reopen its ok again for a bit! sometimes though it isnt its bad straight away!!!do i need to reinstall the whole lot again?i know that my last motherboard bundle had no problem playing a fruityloop demo song that is bundled with fruity ver 4 (i.e.-sympathy ). But on this computer setup as a comparison it cannot cope again and glitches all over the place, the cpu load is huge again over 100%. i have an Emu APS as soundcard and am using kx audio drivers. I have tried loads,.... cofiguring the comp for best audio performance as recommended in www.musicxp.net ie-set to background, removed indexing serbice,fiddled with page file so its 1000 and 1000 (and tried no page file and tried 100 and 800), used classic windows setup. everything!!!!etc.. i have run HDtach and that shows up no probs on hard drive. cubase is set to 48,000, latency is 21ms, 'kx asio' drivers are ticked.There seems to be realtek AC 97 (?onboard audio) that i disabled in bios ( because it was sharing with my Emu aps audio card. I have already swapped the APS card to the other PCI to stop it sharing the LAN stuff!!!) There are also legacy audio devices, legacy video capture device.... is this what i need to disable too? should i remove the drivers for these legacy things also? heres the deal though. sometimes when i start up the comp and load fruityloops all the sngs that come with it play with no probs, CPU is around 12% before playing "sympathy" ( a cpu hungry song bundled in fruityloops. when i play it becomes 42%. no probsdo i need to reinstall the whole lot ( ie xp, and all drivers) again?thans and really hope you can help. its a new build and i was expecting it to be all lovely and fast!!!! ARRGH trevps-the other motherboard bundle (that didnt work x2 )was an AMD Sempron 2.6, 512mb, so not as good as my latest!! so should be better for audio, why isnt it??-also my floppy drive is showing in win and has green light but it cant see the floppy when inserted? anything here that might cause the probs im having?

Edited by trevbushell

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trevbushell

• b2cm

• rbdietz

• Marsden11

You don't say anything about the power supply and case.Your following statements point at the possibility that the power supply is flaky.

once it does this it never returns to ok untill i restart the comp.if i shut windows and reopen its ok again for a bit! sometimes though it isnt its bad straight away!!!do i need to reinstall the whole lot again?
With regard to tweaking the setup, you might want to take a look at Black Viper's Windows XP Home and Professional Service Pack 2 Service Configurations page

trevbushell

thanks for your interest!!! very much appreciated! its a NEW case with new pwer supply- Novatech 350W Hera Tower PC Case- look at it at www.novatech.co.uk under comps-cases.is that ok? i can let you know about the psu in more detail when i get home tonight if you need?i am running my monitor through it, cos you can, is that a bad idea?

trevbushell

QUOTE-once it does this it never returns to ok untill i restart the comp.if i shut windows and reopen its ok again for a bit! sometimes though it isnt its bad straight away!!!do i need to reinstall the whole lot again?what i mean by that is the cpu stays high in the audio programs and doesnt return to normal levels. then when i close the programs they take a while to close, and cpu goes up to 100% to close them for a while. is that what you thought i meant/

thanks for your interest!!! very much appreciated! its a NEW case with new pwer supply- Novatech 350W Hera Tower PC Case- look at it at www.novatech.co.uk under comps-cases.is that ok? i can let you know about the psu in more detail when i get home tonight if you need?i am running my monitor through it, cos you can, is that a bad idea?

Having the monitor plugged into the power supply shouldn't matter.That's essentially like plugging the computer and the monitor into a multi-plug power strip.So far as I can tell the Novatech Hera is a nothing special case (£21.00 ~= $40) with an un-named "350 Watt" power supply.That doesn't make the power supply bad, but it doesn't add confidence either.A shop would most likely swap in a new or known good power supply to see if that fixed the problem.You'll have to decide if purchasing a new power supply (while you don't actually know if the old one is bad) makes sense.
It's one of the most important components in your computer. Nothing will work without it, and yet it doesn't receive a fraction of the attention it deserves. It's the power supply.Why is the power supply so important? The reason is simple: every other component in the PC depends on stable power for trouble-free operation.(emphasis added) Even relatively slight deviations in voltage can lead to crashes and component failures, a fact many users are still unaware of. When a PC is unstable, the first things they suspect as the cause are overly-aggressive memory timings, an overheated graphics card or an overclocked CPU. Very rarely does the power supply unit come under scrutiny, despite its being one of the most problem-prone components!(emphasis added) Reason enough for THG to take a closer look at these critical parts.
Looking at these Tom's Hardware articles should be worth your time.

what i mean by that is the cpu stays high in the audio programs and doesnt return to normal levels. then when i close the programs they take a while to close, and cpu goes up to 100% to close them for a while. is that what you thought i meant/

No - not at all what I thought you meant.Download SysInternals Process Explorer and use it to see which particular processes are sucking up the CPU cycles.

First try to look for the newest available drivers for your motherboard and audio card. Also remove audio drivers, if any is installed, for the onboard audio adapter. If the motherboard has a Via chipset, try one (not both at the same time) of the PCI patches (one by Via, the other by a third party).Also scan for malware and cleanup the Windows startup items. I'm not surprised the Sempron bundle is outperforming your Celeron rig. The Celeron has a faster clock speed but the work it does per clock cycle is, as you have seen for yourself, very poor. Also, it only has 20kb L1 and 128kb of L2 cache versus the 64kb L1 and 256kb L2 cache of the Sempron. The AMD systems memory controllers are also faster. Those internet connection (not hardware-related) and floppy problems (maybe BIOS setting, cable or floppy media issue) could have been easier to solve than the ones you are having now.If you are using onboard video with system memory sharing, and if it also has a AGP slot, I also suggest you don't and use an AGP card instead to improve performance a bit.

trevbushell

Download SysInternals Process Explorer and use it to see which particular processes are sucking up the CPU cycles.

hi, thansk for that,heres the process analysis when the fruityloops plays the song fine- this is when it is not playing but loaded. but it does play well at about 40% cpu. in red is the cpu reading ( sorry it didnt copy well)Process PID CPU Description Company NameSystem Idle Proc0 86.15 Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls System 4 smss.exe 444 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation csrss.exe 500 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation winlogon.exe 524 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation services.exe568 1.54 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation svchost.exe772 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation svchost.exe856 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation wuauclt.exe572 Automatic Updates Microsoft Corporation svchost.exe908 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation svchost.exe972 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation spoolsv.exe1084 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation alg.exe 1204 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation avgamsvr.exe1216 AVG Alert Manager GRISOFT, s.r.o. avgupsvc.exe1232 AVG Update Service GRISOFT, s.r.o. nvsvc32.exe1292 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 71.84 NVIDIA Corporation vsmon.exe 1380 TrueVector Service Zone Labs LLC lsass.exe 580 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporationexplorer.exe 1964 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation SOUNDMAN.EXE 404 Realtek Sound Manager Realtek Semiconductor Corp. zlclient.exe 412 Zone Labs Client Zone Labs LLC msnappau.exe 268 MSN Updater Microsoft Corporation kxmixer.exe 484 kX mixer Eugene Gavrilov avgcc.exe 764 AVG Control Center GRISOFT, s.r.o. avgemc.exe 812 AVG E-Mail Scanner GRISOFT, s.r.o. FruityLoops.exe928 12.31 FruityLoops engine launcher Image-Line IEXPLORE.EXE 1800 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation msnappau.exe 1644 MSN Updater Microsoft Corporation procexp.exe 396 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternalsthis is when it has gone wrong, when i play the song the cpu goes up to 100%! do you want to see the results when playing the song. do you want to see the cubase song results before and after cpu problem? Process PID CPU Description Company NameSystem Idle Pro 0 56.06 Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls System 4 1.52 smss.exe 444 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation csrss.exe 500 1.52 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation winlogon.exe 524 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation services.exe568 3.03 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation svchost.exe772 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation svchost.exe856 1.52 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation svchost.exe908 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation svchost.exe972 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation spoolsv.exe1084 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation alg.exe 1204 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation avgamsvr.exe1216 AVG Alert Manager GRISOFT, s.r.o. avgupsvc.exe1232 AVG Update Service GRISOFT, s.r.o. nvsvc32.exe1292 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 71.84 NVIDIA Corporation vsmon.exe 1380 TrueVector Service Zone Labs LLC lsass.exe 580 1.52 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporationexplorer.exe 1964 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation SOUNDMAN.EXE 404 Realtek Sound Manager Realtek Semiconductor Corp. zlclient.exe 412 Zone Labs Client Zone Labs LLC msnappau.exe 268 MSN Updater Microsoft Corporation kxmixer.exe 484 kX mixer Eugene Gavrilov avgcc.exe 764 AVG Control Center GRISOFT, s.r.o. avgemc.exe 812 AVG E-Mail Scanner GRISOFT, s.r.o. FruityLoops.exe928 31.82 FruityLoops engine launcher Image-Line IEXPLORE.EXE 1800 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation msnappau.exe 1644 MSN Updater Microsoft Corporation procexp.exe 396 3.03 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals notepad.exe 1136 Notepad Microsoft Corporationthis is my bios and system, so as you can see i dont think i have via chipsets. but i will remove all onboard audio drivers thanks for thatComputer: Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS Service Pack Service Pack 1 Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1) DirectX 4.09.00.0902 (DirectX 9.0b) Computer Name MOJO User Name trev Motherboard: CPU Type Intel Celeron D, 2800 MHz (21 x 133) Motherboard Name Foxconn 661M03-G (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394) Motherboard Chipset SiS 661FX System Memory 512 MB (DDR SDRAM) BIOS Type Award (12/21/04) Communication Port Communications Port (COM1) Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1) Display: Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (256 MB) 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 Monitor Hansol Mazellan 701A [17" CRT] Multimedia: Audio Adapter Creative E-mu APS Storage: IDE Controller SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y080P0 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133) Disk Drive ST38641A (8 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/33) Optical Drive ASUS CRW-5232AX (52x/32x/52x CD-RW) SMART Hard Disks Status OK Partitions: C: (NTFS) 78152 MB (66553 MB free) E: (FAT32) 8197 MB (669 MB free) Total Size 84.3 GB (65.6 GB free) Input: Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse Network: Network Adapter SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (80.3.189.10) Peripherals: Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer BIOSDMA 02 Exclusive Standard floppy disk controller DMA 04 Exclusive Direct memory access controller IRQ 00 Exclusive System timer IRQ 01 Exclusive Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard IRQ 04 Exclusive Communications Port (COM1) IRQ 06 Exclusive Standard floppy disk controller IRQ 08 Exclusive System CMOS/real time clock IRQ 09 Shared Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System IRQ 12 Exclusive PS/2 Compatible Mouse IRQ 13 Exclusive Numeric data processor IRQ 14 Exclusive Primary IDE Channel IRQ 15 Exclusive Secondary IDE Channel IRQ 16 Shared NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 IRQ 18 Shared kX 10k1 Audio - Model APS IRQ 19 Shared SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter Edited by trevbushell

trevbushell
If you are using onboard video with system memory sharing, and if it also has a AGP slot, I also suggest you don't and use an AGP card instead to improve performance a bit.

oh sorry, forgot to say...i am using an agp graphics card already. thanks for checking thoughthe 'legacy audio drivers' in device manager dont seem to have drivers?/ or maybe im looking in the wrong place, how do you find them if not in device manager? i have disabled the AC97 audio in bios would that be enough?there is also audi codecs in the manager, should i remove the stuff thats in properties of this? i will scan for mal ware... by that you mean sy ware and internet stuff? but not sure what to do with startup, i dont know enough to know what i can remove. can i send you a startup list?thanks again Edited by trevbushell

trevbushell
If I understand things correctly, you don't need to look at the PSU for now.

cool. it is wierd this whole thing. cant get my head around it at all!!so just again so i know youre with me..i start up the comp and start up fruityloops only. i load a song and the cpu shows 12% approx. when i play the song ( lots of fx etc0 the cpu goes up to 40%, no probs with sound glitches.then, and without me doing anything ( i think) it will suddenly go up to 1005 and glitch the sound. if i stop the song, the cpu is at 29-30% and as soon as i try and start it again it goes up to 100%. i acnt get the cpu down again unless i close friutylops. if i open frutiy again the same problem occurs. i then retsart the computer and the whole thing starts again. although sometimes the cpu is ok for a while and sometimes it is bad from start up of comp and fruity. this happens in cubase also. the timing of it doesnt seem to be consistant.so basically one moment the computer can cope easily with the song file and its fx, the next it cant cope at all. does that make sense at all/trev :"> Edited by trevbushell

You should expect that your processor is going "berserk" if the files you're playing are cpu-intensive (and something the Celeron is having a hard time handling). If you have a Pentium4 chip you probably won't see that behavior.Disable that Realtek Soundman.exe from the startup list (or if it is in the Services, disable it) and uninstall it. This most likely belongs to the onboard audio, and it means the Realtek drivers are also installed. Hunt down these driver files and delete them.

heres the process analysis when the fruityloops plays the song fine<snip>this is when it has gone wrong, when i play the song the cpu goes up to 100%! do you want to see the results when playing the song. do you want to see the cubase song results before and after cpu problem?<snip>SOUNDMAN.EXE 404  Realtek Sound Manager Realtek Semiconductor Corp.(Above is for the integrated sound card. Should be gone after you disable the driver.)<snip>this is my bios and system, so as you can see i dont think i have via chipsets. but i will remove all onboard audio drivers thanks for that<snip>BIOS Type Award (12/21/04)(4 month old bios. Check for an update to the  bios.)

Edited by rbdietz

trevbushell

wow you guys certainly know your stuff!!b2cm- thanks for replying, ok my celeron is slower than sempron , but it should still be fast enough to play stuff ok, shouldnt it? and it seems to work ok when cpu load isnt causing problems to it. (i.e. it does work for a while after start up!) I'm saying that because if youre saying its a crap bundle and i should expect this low performance, then i will go and buy another motherboard bundle thats fast enough to do my music with and tot the lost £140 up to experience.i had to change the sempron to celeron motherboard bundle, as 3 of the sempron the co gave me were not lan operating. thye checked them too and they were all broken so i couldnt connectnto internet. i couldnt chance another one so they replaced with this sempron one. cos i dont know too much i thought i was getting a good deal as the bundle was more expensive!! oh well!!!will try and find this realtek thing and let you know, thanks.rbdietz, thanks also. will try bios upgrade also speak soontrevthanks again for your expertise

trevbushell
having trouble doing search for updatd bios drivers? looked in foxconn for updted drivers and they seem to be only 24/12/04. i could try downloading 'BIOs agent' and send it to their website for them to have a look? worth it? this is their website http://www.esupport.com/biosagent/index.cfm?refererid=40 i have disabled the soundman in msconfig, startup. is that all i need to do? every time wins restarts the msconfig comes up( i guess cos its on selective startup) and the soundman is still there but unticked. if i look in regedit i cant find it in software/microsoft/win/run. do i leave it at selective?finding it hard to find out how to remove drivers for it, dont know where to look. Also just an addon in msconfig in startup there are 2 strange lines with smal boxes (ie- no words under strtup item and command. they trace to HKCU/software/microsoft/windows NT/curr. any prob with this?i have everest and found ac97 realtek there in programs so removed it there. in system information i can still see a kernel driver alcxwdm for realtec audio, do i go into win/system/drivers and delete it? in device manager i still have legacy audio drivers and audio codecs in sounds/games/video controllrs as well as my pro aps card. do i leave these.so far nothing has helped the situation. still the same, despite unistalling stuff, also ranadaware and nothing worth noting came up..i might try reinstalling the drivers for the aps soundcard tomorrow. maybe its that??it wouldnt be zonealarm or AVG free would it?how do i stop them from starting up to test?sorry thers so much info here!!trev Edited by trevbushell

having trouble doing search for updatd bios drivers? looked in foxconn for updted drivers and they seem to be only 24/12/04. i could try downloading BIOs agent and send it to them for a look? worth it? i have disabled the soundman in msconfig,r startup. is that all i need to do/ finding it hard to find out how to remove drivers fo it, dont know where to look.

Your motherboard is either a 661M03-G-6EL or a 661M03-G-6L.The 6EL has a IEEE-1394 Firewire header (header=place to plug a cable); the 6L does not.If you open the case and examine the motherboard, you'll probably find the model number printed or etched on the board.At this time, the web site shows drivers for both boards as being dated Dec 28, 2004 - the same as your current drivers.You can find a link to email Foxconn tech support here.To fully disable the realtek audio -
  1. Re-enable soundman in msconfig. (Close msconfig.)
  2. Right click on My Computer and choose Properties.
  3. Select the Hardware tab.
  4. Click the Device Manager button.
  5. Expand the "Sound, video and game controllers" section.
  6. Right click on the Realtek controller (not sure what it's exact name will be) and choose Properties.
  7. At the bottom of the dialog, set Device Usage to disabled.
  8. If soundman still appears in msconfig, disable it.

Edited by rbdietz

Don't update the BIOS, not yet. And before you go buy another computer, let's try to see if removing the Realtek drivers will resolve those "glitches and crackles". (Upgrading the processor to a Pentium 4 would be a cheaper option.)Those Realtek drivers are a pain to remove. You have to find and open the Realtek INF file and list down the drivers files. Then do a search for each file, deleting these when found. Do this in safe mode.

Yes, also try to set AVG and Zone Alarm to "Manual" in services.msc, and then removing any startup item related to these apps in Msconfig. Restart.

Don't update the BIOS, not yet. And before you go buy another computer, let's try to see if removing the Realtek drivers will resolve those "glitches and crackles". (Upgrading the processor to a Pentium 4 would be a cheaper option.)Those Realtek drivers are a pain to remove. You have to find and open the Realtek INF file and list down the drivers files. Then do a search for each file, deleting these when found. Do this in safe mode.

Why do you think the driver files must be deleted?Is there some reason you believe disabling the realtek device in device manager won't work?If so, please elaborate. Thanks.You're correct about not updating the BIOS yet.I should have been clearer in my earlier post - there's no point updating unless a newer version appears on the web site.Even if there were a newer version, it makes sense to eliminate the realtek drivers first.

Yes, also try to set AVG and Zone Alarm to "Manual" in services.msc, and then removing any startup item related to these apps in Msconfig. Restart.

I'm doubtful that AVG is causing a problem, but setting the service to manual might be worth a try.I disagree with setting Zone Alarm to manual.I don't like running XP with out a firewall. :thumbsdown:Maybe later; after everything else has failed and after disconnecting the modem/cable modem/dsl line.

trevbushell

thanks, i did check the realtek audio stuff again, as in prev post the realtek ac97 doesnt appear in the hardware now. i have everest and found ac97 realtek there in 'programs' there, so removed it there. 9 i also disabled it in BIOs earlier, is that ok? In system information i can still see a kernel driver alcxwdm for realtec audio, so i need to go into win/system/drivers and delete it? ALSO- in device manager i still have 'legacy' audio drivers and audio codecs in sounds/games/video controllrs as well as my pro aps card. do i leave these. i cant disable the in hardware as the device usage is blanked out!!thanx again. i couldnt do this without you! and again thanks for your help. it really is appreciated( im a nurse not a comp whizz!)ps.just a note about potential of buying new P4 processor, does that mean i wouldnt need to spend out on a mbd, just get a new processor? also is it easy to put in a new prosessor, as the mbd and processor came bundled together! wouldnt be a bad thing buying a new processor anyway as this processor fan is also quite noisy!!! (i have checked it to make sure there are no leads on it!) it gets noisier as the rpm goes up over the first 10 mins of starting up....... (this wouldnt be the prob would it... just a thought)

Edited by trevbushell

Why do you think the driver files must be deleted? Is there some reason you believe disabling the Realtek device in device manager won't work?
It is established that disabling the onboard audio adapter in the BIOS and Device Manager does not prevent its software (the Realtek Sound Manager and the driver files) from loading at Windows startup. Deleting all of these files will make sure these system files are never loaded, and thus eliminate driver conflict issues.
Even if there were a newer version, it makes sense to eliminate the realtek drivers first.
If this problem is known and due to a BIOS bug, and if there's a BIOS update to fix it, then you can consider updating the BIOS. Otherwise, it is better to leave the BIOS alone as a mistake in flashing the BIOS can render the machine unusable.It is possible that this is a motherboard/PCI problem, but you should first address the more do-able troubleshooting ---the software side.
I'm doubtful that AVG is causing a problem, but setting the service to manual might be worth a try. I disagree with setting Zone Alarm to manual. I don't like running XP with out a firewall.
At this point troubleshooting must eliminate all probabilities, including compatibility with all TSRs, including AVG and ZoneAlarm, and those 2 Windows autoupdate services. This does not mean you will dispense with these if found to be the source of the problem. You can always set up Hardware Profiles where you can choose two services setup (one solely for audio work, with security and updating services disabled, and another for internet/network, with those security and updating services on automatic mode) that you can choose from at startup.
ALSO- in device manager i still have 'legacy' audio drivers and audio codecs in sounds/games/video controllrs as well as my pro aps card.
Leave those alone. These could be Windows drivers. If you have deleted all Realtek driver files, the codecs and ports these files create will disappear.
just a note about potential of buying new P4 processor, does that mean i wouldnt need to spend out on a mbd? also is it easy to put in a new prosessor, as the mbd and processor came bundled together! wouldnt be a bad thing buying a new processor anyway as this processor fan is also quite noisy!!!
No, you don't need to buy a new motherboard. Look for a local computer shop and ask for advice about the processor that would work with your motherboard (bring the computer without the monitor, mouse and keyboard). If you buy from that shop, I am sure they would install and test it for you. The processor should come with an Intel cooling kit but if you think it also is "noisy" you can purchase one of those ultra-quiet fans and also have the shop install it.

trevbushell
It is established that disabling the onboard audio adapter in the BIOS and Device Manager does not prevent its software (the Realtek Sound Manager and the driver files) from loading at Windows startup.
hi, the realtek AC97 is definatly gone from the hardware! SOUNDMAN is still in msconfig and ticked. i can untick it if you want.this problem is very random, ive been trying it for the last 1hr. here are some examplesi shut down- start up-open fruityloops- it plays fine and cpu is ok. i open system ifo, msconfig . bang the cpu goes up and probs- close frutiyloops- open frutiy- cpu still high.i shut down- start up-open fruityloops- it not fine as cpu is high straight away.i shut down- start up-open fruityloops- it plays fine and cpu is ok-open system info, explorer, microsoftword, no probs, mixer, one vstinstrument. ok. close system info- open syst info and look at software/ drivers info- cpu now goes up- closeall progs -open frituy- cpu still high.shut down- start up- frutyi lops- nope, cpu high.shut down- startup- open frloops- ok- close fruityloops- wait for2 mins- open frutiyloops-ok- close fruity loops-wait for 2 mins-open frutiy loops- NOT ok cpu high... so this time i didnt even open anything apart from fruity loopsdoesnt make sense! :(would buying a new P4 processor sort this problem out?? or is there potential i would have the same problem. Edited by trevbushell

hi, the realtek AC97 is definatly gone from the hardware! SOUNDMAN is still in msconfig and ticked. i can untick it if you want.this problem is very random, ive been trying it for the last 1hr. here are some examples<snip>so this time i didnt even open anything apart from fruity loopsdoesnt make sense! :(would buying a new P4 processor sort this problem out?? or is there potential i would have the same problem.

Untick soundman in msconfig and reboot.Is soundman still unticked in msconfig after reboot?If yes, test fruity loops to see if the problem has disappeared.If the problem has not disappeared, see b2cm's post.I think there is potential to have the same problem with a P4.Never mentioned it, but earlier I googled celeron fruityloops and saw people running fuityloops on systems much less meaty than yours.I don't like celerons, but I don't think that is the problem here.

I'm more concerned with those "glitches and crackles". Does that still happen? As for the processor, that is probably because there are also other programs or services running in the background. I don't think of it as a problem, unless some malware is causing it.I also believe the processor isn't a problem, uless you want better performance. A comparison between Celeron and Pentium4:Celeron 2.8ghz vs. Pentium4 2.8 HT-128kb 2-way vs. 512kb 8-way-100MHz FSB (400MHz quad-pumped) vs. 200MHz FSB (800MHz quad-pumped)-3.2 GB/s bandwidth vs 6.4 GB/s-No hyperthreading vs. hyperthreading

trevbushell
I'm more concerned with those "glitches and crackles". Does that still happen?

hi,yep , ive unticked SOUNDMAN from msconfig, disabled avg and zonealaarm and removed network cable to restart.again the same problem!!! ARGH!!! still glitches and pops, but not when i first start up! the mbd does have onboard graphics card as well (looking at the spec!). i'm not sure if this is disabled or how to do it!. do i need to do this too.?QUOTE-"As for the processor, that is probably because there are also other programs or services running in the background. I don't think of it as a problem, unless some malware is causing it."i also believe there isnt a problem with the processors speed too, as before the cpu goes 'funny' the songs in cubase and fruityloops play really well without any glitches or pops! i think thats how the comp would behave normally if there wasnt a problem somewhere. the problem occurs at different times after initial startup and ther arent other programes running as far as i can see when this happens? or is there something that starts to run that i dont know about?ps-when i say glitches and pops , what i mean is the normal audio 'stutters' i used to get on my really old computer (P2!) when it couldnt cope with the audio. as a longstanding computor music maker i know these glitches are this and no problems with connections or earthings etc.thanks for your ongoing supporttrev Edited by trevbushell

hi,yep , ive unticked SOUNDMAN from msconfig, disabled avg and zonealaarm and removed network cable to restart.again the same problem!!! ARGH!!! still glitches and pops, but not when i first start up! the mbd does have onboard graphics card as well (looking at the spec!). i'm not sure if this is disabled or how to do it!. do i need to do this too.?<snip>ps-when i say glitches and pops , what i mean is the normal audio 'stutters' i used to get on my really old computer (P2!) when it couldnt cope with the audio. as a longstanding computor music maker i know these glitches are this and no problems with connections or earthings etc.thanks for your ongoing supporttrev

Is the following statement correct?The glitches and pops occur only while the CPU is maxed out.If you don't see the it listed in the Display Adapters section of Device Manager, the onboard video is already disabled.At this point, I agree with b2cm that you need to find the realtek .inf file and delete (or better yet rename) the listed driver files. The realtek .inf file should be located in the c:\windows\inf folder. I don't know what the file name will be. "Realtek" may or may not be in the file name. It would probably be a good idea to post a copy of the realtek .inf file here so that we can double check that you've found the right file.

trevbushell
Is the following statement correct?The glitches and pops occur only while the CPU is maxed out.

YES, only glitches when the cpu is maxed out. B) otherwise perfect audiodid a search for realtek drivers, nothing. also i looked in the drivers section in everest hers the results see anything?Abiosdsk Abiosdsk Kernel Driver Stopped abp480n5 abp480n5 Kernel Driver Stopped ACPI Microsoft ACPI Driver ACPI.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running ACPIEC ACPIEC Kernel Driver Stopped adpu160m adpu160m Kernel Driver Stopped aec Microsoft Kernel Acoustic Echo Canceller aec.sys 5.1.2601.1095 Kernel Driver Stopped AFD AFD Networking Support Environment afd.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running Aha154x Aha154x Kernel Driver Stopped aic78u2 aic78u2 Kernel Driver Stopped aic78xx aic78xx Kernel Driver Stopped ALCXSENS Service for WDM 3D Audio Driver ALCXSENS.SYS Kernel Driver Stopped ALCXWDM Service for Realtek AC97 Audio (WDM) ALCXWDM.SYS Kernel Driver Stopped DOES THIS NEED DELETING? AliIde AliIde Kernel Driver Stopped amsint amsint Kernel Driver Stopped asc asc Kernel Driver Stopped asc3350p asc3350p Kernel Driver Stopped asc3550 asc3550 Kernel Driver Stopped AsyncMac RAS Asynchronous Media Driver asyncmac.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Stopped atapi Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller atapi.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running Atdisk Atdisk Kernel Driver Stopped Atmarpc ATM ARP Client Protocol atmarpc.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Stopped audstub Audio Stub Driver audstub.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running Avg7Core AVG7 Kernel avg7core.sys 7.1.0.308 Kernel Driver Running Avg7RsW AVG7 Wrap Driver avg7rsw.sys 7.1.0.285 Kernel Driver Running Avg7RsXP AVG7 Rezident Driver avg7rsxp.sys 7.1.0.307 Kernel Driver Running AvgTdi AVG Network Redirector avgtdi.sys 7.1.0.285 Kernel Driver Running Beep Beep Kernel Driver Running cbidf2k cbidf2k Kernel Driver Stopped cd20xrnt cd20xrnt Kernel Driver Stopped Cdaudio Cdaudio Kernel Driver Stopped Cdfs Cdfs File System Driver Running Cdrom CD-ROM Driver cdrom.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running Changer Changer Kernel Driver Stopped CmdIde CmdIde Kernel Driver Stopped Cpqarray Cpqarray Kernel Driver Stopped ctac32k Creative AC3 Software Decoder ctac32k.sys 5.12.1.381 Kernel Driver Stopped ctaud2k Creative Audio Driver (WDM) ctaud2k.sys 5.12.1.382 Kernel Driver Stopped ctljystk Creative SBLive! Gameport ctljystk.sys 5.1.2501.0 Kernel Driver Running ctprxy2k Creative Proxy Driver ctprxy2k.sys 5.12.1.381 Kernel Driver Stopped ctsfm2k Creative SoundFont Management Device Driver ctsfm2k.sys 5.12.1.381 Kernel Driver Stopped dac960nt dac960nt Kernel Driver Stopped Disk Disk Driver disk.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running dmboot dmboot dmboot.sys 2600.0.503.0 Kernel Driver Stopped dmio Logical Disk Manager Driver dmio.sys 2600.0.503.0 Kernel Driver Running dmload dmload dmload.sys 2600.0.503.0 Kernel Driver Running DMusic Microsoft Kernel DLS Syntheiszer DMusic.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Stopped dpti2o dpti2o Kernel Driver Stopped drmkaud Microsoft Kernel DRM Audio Descrambler drmkaud.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Stopped emupia E-mu Plug-in Architecture Driver emupia2k.sys 5.12.1.381 Kernel Driver Stopped EverestDriver Lavalys EVEREST Kernel Driver prog Kernel Driver Running Fastfat Fastfat File System Driver Running Fdc Floppy Disk Controller Driver fdc.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running Fips Fips Kernel Driver Running Flpydisk Floppy Disk Driver flpydisk.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running Ftdisk Volume Manager Driver ftdisk.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running FXDRV FXDRV Fxdrv.sys Kernel Driver Stopped gameenum Game Port Enumerator gameenum.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running Gpc Generic Packet Classifier msgpc.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running ha10kx2k Creative Hardware Abstract Layer Driver ha10kx2k.sys 5.12.1.384 Kernel Driver Stopped hap16v2k Creative P16V HAL Driver hap16v2k.sys 5.12.1.383 Kernel Driver Stopped hpn hpn Kernel Driver Stopped i2omgmt i2omgmt Kernel Driver Stopped i2omp i2omp Kernel Driver Stopped i8042prt i8042 Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse Port Driver i8042prt.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running Imapi CD-Burning Filter Driver imapi.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running ini910u ini910u Kernel Driver Stopped IntelIde IntelIde Kernel Driver Stopped IpFilterDriver IP Traffic Filter Driver ipfltdrv.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Stopped IpInIp IP in IP Tunnel Driver ipinip.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Stopped IpNat IP Network Address Translator ipnat.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Stopped IPSec IPSEC driver ipsec.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running IRENUM IR Enumerator Service irenum.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Stopped isapnp PnP ISA/EISA Bus Driver isapnp.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running Kbdclass Keyboard Class Driver kbdclass.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running kmixer Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer kmixer.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running KSecDD KSecDD Kernel Driver Running kxwdmdrv kX WDM Driver Service kx.sys 5.10.0.3537 Kernel Driver Running lbrtfdc lbrtfdc Kernel Driver Stopped mnmdd mnmdd Kernel Driver Running Modem Modem Kernel Driver Stopped Mouclass Mouse Class Driver mouclass.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running MountMgr MountMgr Kernel Driver Running mraid35x mraid35x Kernel Driver Stopped MRxDAV WebDav Client Redirector mrxdav.sys 5.1.2600.0 File System Driver Running MRxSmb MRxSmb mrxsmb.sys 5.1.2600.1106 File System Driver Running Msfs Msfs File System Driver Running MSKSSRV Microsoft Streaming Service Proxy MSKSSRV.sys 5.3.0.900 Kernel Driver Stopped MSPCLOCK Microsoft Streaming Clock Proxy MSPCLOCK.sys 5.3.0.900 Kernel Driver Stopped MSPQM Microsoft Streaming Quality Manager Proxy MSPQM.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Stopped Mup Mup File System Driver Running NDIS NDIS System Driver Kernel Driver Running NdisTapi Remote Access NDIS TAPI Driver ndistapi.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running Ndisuio NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol ndisuio.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running NdisWan Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver ndiswan.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running NDProxy NDIS Proxy Kernel Driver Running NetBIOS NetBIOS Interface netbios.sys 5.1.2600.1106 File System Driver Running NetBT NetBios over Tcpip netbt.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running Npfs Npfs File System Driver Running Ntfs Ntfs File System Driver Running Null Null Kernel Driver Running nv nv nv4_mini.sys 6.14.10.7184 Kernel Driver Running NwlnkFlt IPX Traffic Filter Driver nwlnkflt.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Stopped NwlnkFwd IPX Traffic Forwarder Driver nwlnkfwd.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Stopped ossrv Creative OS Services Driver ctoss2k.sys 5.12.1.381 Kernel Driver Stopped Parport Parallel port driver parport.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running PartMgr PartMgr Kernel Driver Running ParVdm ParVdm Kernel Driver Running PCI PCI Bus Driver pci.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running PCIDump PCIDump Kernel Driver Stopped PCIIde PCIIde pciide.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running Pcmcia Pcmcia Kernel Driver Stopped PDCOMP PDCOMP Kernel Driver Stopped PDFRAME PDFRAME Kernel Driver Stopped PDRELI PDRELI Kernel Driver Stopped PDRFRAME PDRFRAME Kernel Driver Stopped perc2 perc2 Kernel Driver Stopped perc2hib perc2hib Kernel Driver Stopped PfModNT PfModNT PfModNT.sys 3.0.0.3 Kernel Driver Running PptpMiniport WAN Miniport (PPTP) raspptp.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running Processor Processor Driver processr.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running PSched QoS Packet Scheduler psched.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running Ptilink Direct Parallel Link Driver ptilink.sys 1.1.0.0 Kernel Driver Running ql1080 ql1080 Kernel Driver Stopped Ql10wnt Ql10wnt Kernel Driver Stopped ql12160 ql12160 Kernel Driver Stopped ql1240 ql1240 Kernel Driver Stopped ql1280 ql1280 Kernel Driver Stopped RasAcd Remote Access Auto Connection Driver rasacd.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running Rasl2tp WAN Miniport (L2TP) rasl2tp.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running RasPppoe Remote Access PPPOE Driver raspppoe.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running Raspti Direct Parallel raspti.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running Rdbss Rdbss rdbss.sys 5.1.2600.1106 File System Driver Running RDPCDD RDPCDD RDPCDD.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running rdpdr Terminal Server Device Redirector Driver rdpdr.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running RDPWD RDPWD Kernel Driver Stopped redbook Digital CD Audio Playback Filter Driver redbook.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running rtl8139 Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C)-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter NT Driver RTL8139.SYS 5.396.530.2001 Kernel Driver Stopped Secdrv Secdrv secdrv.sys Kernel Driver Stopped serenum Serenum Filter Driver serenum.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running Serial Serial port driver serial.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running Sfloppy Sfloppy Kernel Driver Stopped Simbad Simbad Kernel Driver Stopped SiS315 SiS315 sisgrp.sys 6.14.10.3600 Kernel Driver Stopped SISAGP SiS AGP Filter SISAGPX.sys 7.2.0.1170 Kernel Driver Running SiSide SiSide siside.sys 5.1.1039.240 Kernel Driver Running sisidex sisidex sisidex.sys 5.1.2600.0 File System Driver Running SiSkp SiSkp srvkp.sys 6.14.10.3600 Kernel Driver Running SISNIC SiS PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter Driver sisnic.sys 1.16.0.0 Kernel Driver Running sisperf Add Performance Filter Driver sisperf.sys 2.2.3.0 Kernel Driver Running Sparrow Sparrow Kernel Driver Stopped splitter Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter splitter.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Stopped sr System Restore Filter Driver sr.sys 5.1.2600.1106 File System Driver Stopped Srv Srv srv.sys 5.1.2600.0 File System Driver Running swenum Software Bus Driver swenum.sys 5.3.0.900 Kernel Driver Running swmidi Microsoft Kernel GS Wavetable Synthesizer swmidi.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Stopped sym_hi sym_hi Kernel Driver Stopped sym_u3 sym_u3 Kernel Driver Stopped symc810 symc810 Kernel Driver Stopped symc8xx symc8xx Kernel Driver Stopped sysaudio Microsoft Kernel System Audio Device sysaudio.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running Tcpip TCP/IP Protocol Driver tcpip.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running TDPIPE TDPIPE Kernel Driver Stopped TDTCP TDTCP Kernel Driver Stopped TermDD Terminal Device Driver termdd.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running TosIde TosIde Kernel Driver Stopped Udfs Udfs File System Driver Stopped ultra ultra Kernel Driver Stopped Update Microcode Update Driver update.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running usbehci Microsoft USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller Miniport Driver usbehci.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Stopped usbhub USB2 Enabled Hub usbhub.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Stopped usbohci Microsoft USB Open Host Controller Miniport Driver usbohci.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Stopped USBSTOR USB Mass Storage Driver USBSTOR.SYS 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Stopped VgaSave VgaSave vga.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Running ViaIde ViaIde Kernel Driver Stopped VolSnap VolSnap Kernel Driver Running vsdatant vsdatant vsdatant.sys 5.5.62.11 Kernel Driver Running Wanarp Remote Access IP ARP Driver wanarp.sys 5.1.2600.0 Kernel Driver Running WDICA WDICA Kernel Driver Stopped wdmaud Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver wdmaud.sys 5.1.2600.1106 Kernel Driver Runningi looked at motherboard resources in device manager and it saysdriver date 01/07/2001driver version 5.1.2600.0is this a bit old or doesnt matter cos its a 'resource'?it say in general device status 'there are no drivers installed for this device'!!! eh??? i tried using the foxconn c.d to find updated drivers, it said nothing newer than already installed. i tried disabling a 'sis accelerated graphics port' thinking that was the onboard graphics. dont think it was as on startup the screen was all flickery. i enabled it again! it does come up as a conflict/share in system info- conflicts/sharing with the NVidia graghics card.I/O Port 0x00000000-0x0000047F PCI busI/O Port 0x00000000-0x0000047F Direct memory access controller I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF SiS Accelerated Graphics PortI/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF SiS Accelerated Graphics PortMemory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 Memory Address 0xE4000000-0xE5FFFFFF SiS Accelerated Graphics PortMemory Address 0xE4000000-0xE5FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI busMemory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF SiS Accelerated Graphics PortMemory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB SiS Accelerated Graphics PortI/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 this below was also was taken from everest IRQ page;'Resource Share Device DescriptionIRQ 18 Shared kX 10k1 Audio - Model APS'this interesting too. it says the audio card is shared but doesnt say what with. i have already moved it to another pci slot to as it was sharing an irq with network card. any hints?have you seen the prev post 'Excessive CPU usage, 18% at idle' in this forum. the guy disabled legacy audio and problem resolved. shall i try it?also a friend has noticed that when wins starts up succesfully ( ie cpu ok) the audio drivers splashscreen runs thro fast.when wins starts up faulty ie cpu not ok from the start the splashscreen alot slower to run thro?? does that mean there is something here that si clogging up the system , some program. my friend also mentioned ... is there a prog that tracks activity and if so it may pick up the change?dunno/ just a thoughttrev Edited by trevbushell