Mozilla Replacing Netscape Code

havnblast

The organization that produces the Mozilla browser put out a new roadmap representing a shift in policy designed to make the make the browser leaner and faster. The Mozilla Organization said it will make the browser significantly leaner and faster, shifting the code base from Netscape Navigator to the Phoenix browser. Mozilla.org also said it will break out the mail and news clients for Mozilla into separate components. In addition to the browser, Mozilla.org will work on refining the mail companion application to Phoenix, now called Minotaur. The new work will be based on a new toolkit used by Phoenix, code-named Thunderbird. Rest of Article on Internet WeekThought this maybe some interesting news - I will not miss netscape code at all. What is left of netscape anyway? Nobody wants them, not even AOL

Mozilla is dead, long live Mozilla Browser (aka Phoenix).Yes, this is indeed wonderfull news and also gives me boost since I am Phoenix devotee :)This is a good thing and things can get really interesting now ehn they strimline and get rid of all that bloat.I think they are on the right path now to dethrone IE, but this time for real.In my opinion they already dethroned IE and Phoenix is default browser on both my WinXP and Linux.I can't wait to see Minotaur (mail) program which is suppose to be built with Phoenix toolkit.

Guest ThunderRiver
Mozilla is dead, long live Mozilla Browser (aka Phoenix).Yes, this is indeed wonderfull news and also gives me boost since I am Phoenix devotee :)This is a good thing and things can get really interesting now ehn they strimline and get rid of all that bloat.I think they are on the right path now to dethrone IE, but this time for real.In my opinion they already dethroned IE and Phoenix is default browser on both my WinXP and Linux.I can't wait to see Minotaur (mail) program which is suppose to be built with Phoenix toolkit.
Due to legal issues. The name phoenix is dead too ;) I have not officially made the switch yet. I just can't leave my 13000 email archive behind in Outlook Express..

SonicDragon

I have never used Pheonix, but love Mozilla! Yaknow what i was just thinking? I would love to see an RSS type news reader included? But, that would of course, increase the bloat :D O well, maybe in the future.I guess i should give Pheonix a try, just to see it. *adds to to do list*

I LOVE Phoenix. This was the right decision for Mozilla, but they've got another tough row to hoe. Hopefully they can deliver. But Phoenix 0.5 is much better right now that Mozilla has ever been. Try it.And see the latest issue of the newsletter, 'cause there's some stuff on it there. Including links to the Phoenix site:http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/43.htm-- Scot

Yes! Three cheers for Phoenix. I really like using this browser. It is noticeably faster then Mozilla 1.3.

OK I added Phoenix to my windows system and I must say WOW - I love the simplicity and quickness of it, still some pages don't render correctly as they should, but dang this is great.I will have to install it into my RedHat also and see how it goes with that. Who has the tombstone made up for netscape :blink:

Guest ThunderRiver
OK I added Phoenix to my windows system and I must say WOW  -  I love the simplicity and  quickness of it, still some pages don't render correctly as they should, but dang this is great.I will have to install it into my RedHat also and see how it goes with that.  Who has the tombstone made up for netscape  :D
It has already been made more than 2 years ago ever since the date Netscape becomes part of AOL, and transforming into a portal site.

still some pages don't render correctly as they should, but dang this is great.
It's not that Phoenix doesn't render pages correctly, but rather the web page doesn't conform to HTML 4.01 or XHTML 1.0 standards. As browsers become more standardised, you'll start noticing that poorly designed web pages, particularly those using deprcated tags (those that have been dropped from the official standard), will look funny. Internet Explorer and, to some extent, Mozilla, can operate in "non-standard" mode wherein the browser will behave as if it was Netscape 4.x or IE 4.x. It appears that Phoenix may have dropped the ability to render non-standard mode, itself not a bad thing, speaking from a web design perspective.

Well, so much talk about Phoenix, I had to give it a try. So here is my 2 cents:First you have to know that I am an absolute Galeon fan and a hardcore tabbed browsing addict.But Phoenix does a nice job, a few things go better in Phoenix, like banking and the rules for pop-ups, one can block all pop-ups except for the sites you make a rule for, that's very very nice !Galeon gave me grief in banking, I could see how much was left in the bank, but for paying my bills I had to use Konqueror. Phoenix does the job without any hick-ups.But for the speed: I think Galeon is just as fast as Phoenix.The eye candy: Galeon looks betterEase of use: Galeon is on top ( tabs are smaller, so you can put more open at once and still see them, I told you I was an addict :blink: )In a nutshell: all my bookmarks are in Galeon . . . . . . , so, I'll use Phoenix to transfer the money. ( just give me the numbers and you'll have it on your account next day, or so :rolleyes: )Bruno