PlexWriter Premium CD-R/RW

Lover of quiet computers

Lover of quiet computers

I just read an article on PC World on Plextor's PlexWriter Premium CD-R/RW drive, released this week, which said:

The Premium's other new features include...Q-Check, which lets users test a CD to determine the number of C1 and C2 errors, track errors, focus errors, and jitter errors on the disc. Wing agrees that, so long as a disc works, most users won't necessarily care about the quality of the burn. "As a user, if I were to burn a disc and the disc had no problems, I would be satisfied with it," he says. "But if I had a way to evaluate it from its written-quality perspective, I might be inclined to try it."
Should I take this to mean that all these errors make no perceptible difference? If so, what is really the point of Q-Check?

Grasshopper

I love Plextor too.I have three. The fastest writer is on my wife's machine. I have a SCSI 40x CDROM also.The third one I have a question about. It's a CDRW from about 8 months ago. I did not buy the "return it for whatever reason" warranty from Best Buy and I'm not sure but I think a failing power supply has messed the writer up. It's currently not in a machine right now and when it was in my wife's machine, after I replaced the PS, it would cause a slow startup and continue to do something crazy. This is the symptom. On my wife's machine which is running XP, the drive light would blink off and on and the arrow cursor would, in sync with the blinking light, go back and forth between normal arrow and arrow with CD (as in a CD was just inserted).Is that a fatal symptom?I was going to stick in my machine but just haven't made it there yet and saw this thread and it reminded me.Allen

A recent test of the latest CD-R's(48x) discs shows a much higher number of errors (the terminology was rather arcane) than the older 8-12X media, regardless of what speed you burn at. Many of these must be nearly imperceptable to normal ears though. But it would appear that maybe Plextor is try to address this.