watching Youtube

réjean

Hi all!I did install it a few days ago. It went well although I had to change 2 entries in the menu.lst so that I could get into PCLinuxOS 2007 and SuperUbuntu.I changed the sources.list and I got all the updates.Then I went into Synaptic and installed win32-codecs, wine and a few others, like VLC.I can go to CBC Halifax in Konqueror and listen and watch news. I can go to BBC, CNN and Youtube in Firefox and watch videos but I have no sound. If I try them in Konqueror I get this;snapshot1x.th.pngBruno's trick about copying the url and using VLC isn't working.So what do you suggest, anyone?P.S. I forgot to say that I thought I had to install Adobe Flash player which I downloaded but as I was going to figure out how to untar it I noticed that I already have a .macromedia file in my /home with a Flash Player in it.

Edited by réjean

Hi all!I did install it a few days ago. It went well although I had to change 2 entries in the menu.lst so that I could get into PCLinuxOS 2007 and SuperUbuntu.I changed the sources.list and I got all the updates.Then I went into Synaptic and installed win32-codecs, wine and a few others, like VLC.I can go to CBC Halifax in Konqueror and listen and watch news. I can go to BBC, CNN and Youtube in Firefox and watch videos but I have no sound. If I try them in Konqueror I get this;snapshot1x.th.pngBruno's trick about copying the url and using VLC isn't working.So what do you suggest, anyone?P.S. I forgot to say that I thought I had to install Adobe Flash player which I downloaded but as I was going to figure out how to untar it I noticed that I already have a .macromedia file in my /home with a Flash Player in it.
Rejean sound works fine for me in firefox on those sites. I tried Konqueror on the site and got the same message but when I select continue the video plays fine. I am using Pclos 2009.1 as well. Edited by jodef

P.S. I forgot to say that I thought I had to install Adobe Flash player which I downloaded but as I was going to figure out how to untar it I noticed that I already have a .macromedia file in my /home with a Flash Player in it.
Flash is indeed installed by default in PCLos . . . type "about::plugins" in the addressbar of Firefox and let us know what version you are running.First try Jodef's suggestion and see if it helps.:hmm: Bruno

Frank Golden
Flash is indeed installed by default in PCLos . . . type "about::plugins" in the addressbar of Firefox and let us know what version you are running.First try Jodef's suggestion and see if it helps.:thumbsup: Bruno
Bruno the command is "about:plugins", one colon not two without quotes of course. Edited by Frank Golden

snapshot3.th.pngI have tried what Jodef suggested for at least 3 days now and it doesn't work.Here is what I get in konqueror.snapshot4.th.pngThis morning I can see the Youtube videos but I have no sound. I am actually listening to the CBC Radio in Media Player from Konqueror. Edited by réjean

Well, this helps you not at all of course, but I have no problem viewing these sources with Firefox and all I do with PCLinuxOS is get win32codecs from synaptic and it just works! Now with Ubuntu, I had to go thru a lengthy process, but in both cases I could/can see all this stuff with both sound and video with Firefox.Bill

I have no problem watching and hearing them in Super Ubuntu ( I don't think I had to install a single application ), or in Mandriva ( had to install win32codecs and some others ) but PCLinuxOS 2007 and 2009.1 are giving me a lot of trouble.

Réjean . . . can you boot the live CD and see if the problems also exist when running "Live" ?? ( The support for flash should be out-of-the-box so I have a hard time figuring out what is wrong . . . I did see from the screenshot that you do have the latest flash-plugin )@ Frank:

Bruno the command is "about:plugins", one colon not two without quotes of course.
You are 100% correct . . . . it was a typo ( apparently still had the sleep in my eyes this morning, need more coffee before posting replies :) ):thumbsup: Bruno

Nope!Replying from the live cd and all I get from FF are videos but no sound from youtube,cnn, bbc or cbc (not even the video from cbc).In konqueror after I click on continue nothing happens in youtube, nothing at all in cnn, or bbc but both the radio and the video news work from cbc.ca/ns

Nope!Replying from the live cd and all I get from FF are videos but no sound from youtube,cnn, bbc or cbc (not even the video from cbc).
Makes me think there is something wrong with the PCLos ISO you have there . . . . flash should play ( are all those sites with flash video ? ) without issues.Maybe you can install "libflashsupport" on your HD installed PCLos and see if that helps ? ( could be a pulseaudio issue and the "libflashsupport" could fix that );) Bruno

Alas no change. I guess I'll have to use other distros when I want to visit those sites. The md5sum was good when I downloaded PCLinuxOS 2009.1 within PCLinuxOS 2007 and I used K3B to do the burning.I just don't understand why it is working out of the box for you all but not for me. I'll spend some time at the PCLinux forum and see if I can get help there. Thanks anyway Bruno and everyone else.

rejean, can you give me a link to the sites. I didn't install anything extra on my PCLinux 2009.1 and I know the flash on my eeepc is too old for YouTube to work but maybe looking at what works and doesn't for me, we can figure out where the problem lies.What do you use as a browser? (I have FF3 in PCLinux and FF2 in eeepc).

Does anyone has anything entered into their /etc/modprobe.d/sound? Mine is empty.Liz I am using the default FF that came with the installation; 3.0.7.Here are some links;You tubeCNNBBCI just grabbed the first links I could find on their pages. They are not necessarily something I would want to watch.

Does anyone has anything entered into their /etc/modprobe.d/sound? Mine is empty.
Mine is empty too ;)You might want to try this: KDE Control Center --> Sound & Multimedia --> Sound System --> Hardware ( tab ) --> Select audio device: change from automatic to "Advanced Linux Sound Architecture"Next reboot and see if that helped.;) Bruno

I've got the feeling that we are all wasting our time. It's not just the sounds that are not working in FF it's the videos too in Konqueror.If I want more than local news I'll use another distro our even Windoze.

All played fine, both video and sound in FF on PCLinux and I did not install the win32-codecs you did.If you usually use FF, what addons do you have installed? At the moment, I only have three: adblock+, cookie culler and nosquint.

I don't think the win32-codecs have anything to do with it either because Bill says he has them and the sites play fine. I was just pointing out that as far as anything extra, I have not installed a thing except for the almost daily updates.And as expected, in Xandros/Debian with not the newest flash, I get a blank white screen in the fist and third links (no sound, no video, no anything) and in the 2nd link I have a black window where the video plays. Again no sound nor video from any of the three sites.

Edited by zlim

It must have something to do with PCLinuxOS and my machine then. One thing I could to is try the inboard (or is it onboard) sound card. Nope that is the reason I had to install this crappy sound card because the onboard ( or is it inboard ) doesn't work in Linux. Heck! It doesn't even work with XP in VBox on PCLinuxOS 2009.1.

Is your onboard soundcard disabled in the BIOS ?? And does the correct soundcard show up in the PCC --> Hardware ??:) Bruno

I had a look into the BIOS but I couldn't find an entry for the sound card ( I will have to find the book that came with the motherboard and see if I can find anything ) but I don't think this is the problem anyway. I've got all kinds of sounds ( CD, DVD, on some sites in Konqueror, TVonmyPC in Windoze in VirtualBox in PCLinuxOS 2009.1 ) just not from the sites that I mentionned.Textar himself suggested in PCLinuxOS forum;

Check to see if you have aoss installed and if so remove it. That has helped some users.
I found it in Synaptic and uninstalled it and now I can listen to and watch CBC in firefox also but that is the only progress so far. Edited by réjean