Odd Utilities Question

pc-tecky

I was just using Belarc Adviser the other day and it didn't have what I was looking for. I know Linux can be very powerful, but can it tell me the speed of the memory installed or is that only available via the high dollar specialized hardware?I have some not so well marked memory. It states the capacity, but not the speed. Any ideas for a solution?

Hi TeckyYou can have a look if the command "lshw" gives you the info you need. ( if it is not installed already it should be in your distros package manager )Also "cat /proc/meminfo" gives info, but noting about speed.B) Bruno

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, Bruno-That "lshw" command produced a lengthy list of what's set up in my computer. Sort of reminds me of Device Manager (a little). I like it. B) BTW Comcast installer should be here in about 8 hours. :drooling:

BTW Comcast installer should be here in about 8 hours. B)
Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torments of man.--Nietzsche :hysterical:Edit: Have you tried a "GUI" program called "Sysinfo"? For Ubuntu, it's in repos. Edited by Urmas

V.T. Eric Layton
Thanks, Bruno-That "lshw" command produced a lengthy list of what's set up in my computer. Sort of reminds me of Device Manager (a little). I like it. :hmm: BTW Comcast installer should be here in about 8 hours. :D
Clutter, Where've you been? That lshw command is pretty cool, huh? There are some other neat tricks you can do with it too. See THIS thread. Have FUN! :)

Cluttermagnet

Hi, Eric-Good to hear from you. Way too much of that work stuff at your end. I've been working more lately myself, summer being my more busy time, but I feel like a slacker compared to you- and I mean in the nautical sense (goof off), not in the Linux sense. :D I can well imagine you feel beat up after work. Remember- hydrate, hydrate... We're thinking of you, mate.Thanks for the link. That "lshw" really does so much for so little effort. Just goes to reinforce the idea that there is equivalent Linux functionality for everything neat that we like in Windows. :hmm: BTW the Terminal warns you that you really should run lshw as SU, but then it gives you the info anyway. Neat.

Cluttermagnet
Wasn't the speed of PC-3200 DDR memory 3200 divided by 8 = 400MHz ? Or am I misinformed ?:hmm: Bruno
I think that's right, Bruno. PC-3200 is indeed also called DDR400. I'm using that speed of RAM in the Cluttermaster 2007, so I remember for sure.
I was just using Belarc Adviser the other day and it didn't have what I was looking for. I know Linux can be very powerful, but can it tell me the speed of the memory installed or is that only available via the high dollar specialized hardware?I have some not so well marked memory. It states the capacity, but not the speed. Any ideas for a solution?
Test it in a Windows box? Belarc is good, but there is also SIW and Everest and AIDA32 and a couple of others, all free. One of them was pretty good about giving exact details on the installed RAM specs. I don't remember which one, but it wasn't Belarc.I just downloaded and ran SIW on this XP machine at a friend's house. It reports the RAM sticks installed are PC-2700. Look under the Memory category. Download from here. BTW it is reported as "PC-2700 (166MHz)", and that is not an 8:1 ratio. In fact, it is closer to a 16:1 ratio, FWIW. Edited by Cluttermagnet

So where would I find that information from?I was primarily working with PC66/PC100/PC133 memory.I know that you can run PC133 in a 100MHz FSB system, but I don't know what happens when you mix PC100 in a 133MHz FSB system. Just like you have CL of 2 and 3 for PC100 and PC133, and if you plug in CL=3 memory amongst CL=2 memory, everything then operates at the specs of the slowest module, in this case at CL=3. When you put PC100 memory modules amongst PC133 memory modules, does the memory controller step-down to 100MHz while keeping the CPU FSB at 133MHz or does it overclock the PC100 memory modules as the system continues to run at 133MHz?The web-site of the branded memory chip maker with the chip markings helped me to identify the stick as PC133.

When you put PC100 memory modules amongst PC133 memory modules, does the memory controller step-down to 100MHz while keeping the CPU FSB at 133MHz or does it overclock the PC100 memory modules as the system continues to run at 133MHz?
Again don't take my word for it, but as far as I know it does indeed step down to 100MHZ ;):hmm: Bruno