Removable drive's letter assignment keeps changing

irkregent

I've got a Lexar Media Jump Drive USB device, and every time I reattach it to my computer (Windows 2000), it gets the next available drive letter assigned to it. I want to to be drive J, but changing it to that only lasts until I remove the Jump Drive. Is there a way to permanently assign it a drive letter of my choosing?On my machine at work the Jump Drive is always assigned drive letter J -- but I just noticed that I have a map assigned to drive I, so J really is the next available drive letter on that machine.

I suppose you could trick it by mapping a network drive ;)you might also try changing the CD-ROM drive letter to I: (I think think it would keep the drive letter), so that the USB drive will take J: (the next available drive letter)

How are you re-assigning the drive letter?  I assume your doing it through the device manager (I don't know any other way).Try the CD-ROM thing.
Windows 2000's Computer Management -> Disk Management.

As far as I know, Windows will always take the next available drive letter , unless you tell it otherwise (is there someone else here that can prove me wrong?)Sorry, I wish I could help you with this one, but I'm not sure ;)