What OS do you use?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: What OS do you use?

What OS do you use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Guest_ThunderRiver_*

Guest_ThunderRiver_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:39 PM

mac, on Apr 4 2003, 01:33 PM, said:

I have 4 PC's networked here at home. 1 homebuilt w/ WIN2K Pro/WIN2K Advanced Server, 1 Compaq EVO8000 Dual Xeon 2 SCSI HD workstation w/ WIN NT4/WIN2K Pro/WIN XP Pro/WIN XP Pro (on a seperate partion installed for gaming :blink: ) , 1 Gateway SP1000 w/ WIN2K Pro/WIN XP Pro and 1 homebuilt w/ WIN XP Pro.3 of the PC's have mobile hard drive racks in them hooked up as Master on IDE 1 so I can put in a seperate HD and install and play with other O/S's (I own a retail or OEM version of every MS O/S since WIN 3.1/DOS 5 - except Server datacenter of course). Currently network is peer-to-peer, but will be promoting the server PC to domain controller in the next few weeks.I took a classroom MCSE course at a local college last year but felt I needed more experience before starting to work in the networking field. My background is non-tech - retail chain store headquarter mangement - though I used PC's all the time at work with both proprietary software and MS Office software. When my company downsized I took the early retirement package and decided, after 30 years of 6 and 7 day weeks and 10 to 15 hour work days to change careers.I bought my first PC - an Apple II+ - back in 1981 and have had PC's at home ever since.
OT: Compaq EVO rocks..what more can I say? ;) Proud user of Compaq Evo business line ;)You mentioned that you felt you need more experiences, wel, you know what? You need to start working to gain experience!

#52 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 09:12 PM

I don't know...let me turn around.  Two with XP, one with ME, my 2000 just died.  The computers in my classroom are two with XP, two with 98 and 7 with 95 plus 7 parts computers with 95 or 98.  In two months I should have (operative word = should)  all XP in my classroom (squeaky wheel gets the grease).
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#53 OFFLINE   badcat

badcat

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 09:52 PM

I'm currently using 3 pcs.pc1 Dual booting XP Home and Windows 98SEpc2 Laptop with XP Homepc3 Older PI box with 98 SEOS's I've messed with are BeOS, two different distros of Linux, and NT4.0Chris

#54 OFFLINE   ldonyo

ldonyo

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:48 PM

I've been using XP Pro since Beta 2. To me, it is easily the best version of Windows ever! I haven't found a piece of hardware or software put out in the last seven years that I can't get to function in XP Pro. The only part of XP that I do not like is the Loony (Luna) interface. Oh, I don't mind the appearance, I just hate the amount of system resources it uses to do it! I've felt that way about every incarnation of Themes to ever hit Windows and I will continue to feel that way until they stop sucking up so much of my system!

#55 OFFLINE   L_P

L_P

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:56 PM

I have 4 pc's.2 run XP Pro1 runs XP Homeand I'm getting ready to set the other up to dual boot XP home and Red Hat.I have used- Win98se, WinME (hated it), WinXP, Mandrake, Red Hat, Lycoris (hated it too), and I tried BeOs.My pc's are all networked. I run 4 towers on one monitor via KVM (for 2 towers) and using reaVNC to remotely control the other towers.
Registered Linux User #401179

#56 Guest_ThunderRiver_*

Guest_ThunderRiver_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:58 PM

ldonyo, on Apr 5 2003, 12:48 PM, said:

I've been using XP Pro since Beta 2. To me, it is easily the best version of Windows ever! I haven't found a piece of hardware or software put out in the last seven years that I can't get to function in XP Pro. The only part of XP that I do not like is the Loony (Luna) interface. Oh, I don't mind the appearance, I just hate the amount of system resources it uses to do it! I've felt that way about every incarnation of Themes to ever hit Windows and I will continue to feel that way until they stop sucking up so much of my system!
I suppose you like "Watercolor" better?  ;)

#57 OFFLINE   havnblast

havnblast

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 06:44 PM

ldonyo:  I totally agree with you - I have my XP set to classic interface, eye candy is nice, but I would rather have the resources   ;)

#58 Guest_ThunderRiver_*

Guest_ThunderRiver_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2003 - 09:54 PM

You can always hack uxheme.dll in Windows XP so that you can switch to a better theme that uses less resources. I am not promoting changing your file system because of File Protection in Windows XP. I am also not responsible for any damages to your system. You make your own choice. :)Here is the a few place to start.http://vortex.winbeta.org to download hacked uxtheme.dll to replace the file under %systemroot%\system32\http://www.deskmod.com or http://www.themexp.org to download nice theme for your system. Hope that helps.PM me if you have concerns about this posts...

#59 OFFLINE   mwillett

mwillett

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:24 AM

The problem with this poll is that it only allows you to make 1 vote.My kids computer runs 98SEI have a computer somewhat dedicated to VPN use for working at home, which run 2000 Pro sp3My main computer runs XP home editionMy wifes lapop also runs XP home edition.I'd prefer XP Pro, but home edition was pre-installed & $150 - $200 is too much to justify  for an home to Pro upgrade.

#60 OFFLINE   quint

quint

Linux Miner

• Forum MVP
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 07:15 PM

Kids: Win98SE :) Wife: Win98SE :)Me: WinXPHE :)       Mandrake 9.1  :)
~ Linux User # 314972 ~ Ubuntu User # 12930 ~

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
                -- Mark Twain

#61 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 01:12 AM

am runlaptop - dual boot 2000 server / xp propc - xp procarp pc - 98sehave rundos v1 - 6.2 dos 3.2 with tcp/ip  ^_^ win 1, 2, and 3 (honest)win 3.1 with tcp/ip (sets up the same as dos...)  :lol: linuxnovell 3.12novell 4.1 with tcp/ip  B)novell 5.1nt 3.5, 3.51 servernt 4 serverbeen exposed to...sun sparkstation (kinda)ibm mainframe 360, 9000(rex, db2, mvs, cics)ibm as-400, several sizesand i used a mac os x once!   :unsure:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users