when xp is unsupported, i plan to...

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Poll: when xp is no longer supported, i plan to...

when xp is no longer supported, i plan to...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

greets!
hopefully this will be a fun-filled, thought provoking kinda topic! :D

rsvp!
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

i only have one XP at home and i'll keep working it until the antivirus software i have on it stops updating.

As for work ....
if microsoft insists on keeping the W8 paradigm, we will go on auction sites to purchase W7Pro and get grey boxes to put them on.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#3 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

I moved to Windows Vista in 2007 and from there to Windows 7, which I have stuck with at this point.  I don't have a smartphone or a tablet.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#4 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

XP will ALWAYS be supported! MS will never abandon the millions of commercial users world wide. They have cried wolf about ending XP support numerous times already.

Well, sounds good, anyway. ;)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Currently 8 computers in the house - ugh.
My hubby has a 2K that I finally moved to the other side of the room cutting him off the internet. He never got infected because we run security and sit behind a router. He also NEVER clicks on anything that he is unsure of.
He also has an XP that he just started using and will probably use on the internet until I can get him up to speed on 7. I did warn him that support will end in April 2014 and when I can't keep him safe, that will get pulled off the internet too. He can do his work on the two computers not connected.

The other 5 computers are mine. There is one XP I might use a bit but I'll probably use the Win 7 netbook for the majority of surfing in mid 2014. The 7" netbook runs linux and I can boot a modern distro on a USB stick if I want to surf . This is a lightweight traveling netbook. The old HP laptop hasn't been connected in years. We use it to watch DVDs and tv shows on USB sticks. Eventually I'll remove the hd and e-cycle it. The last computer runs 2k/XP/linux. It is noisy and slow so I don't surf with it. I'll pull the cable and have no regrets about not being able to update the XP partition. I keep it because there is a game on the 2K partition.

It will be a joy to update just 2 computers instead of 5!
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

The firewall will help you, but you don't have to click on anything or even have a browser open to get infected with an unpatched, unprotected MS Windows. Once, after doing a fresh install of Win XP (no svc packs or updates), I left it online (no firewall) without doing anything. In less then 20 minutes, it was attacked and compromised by an automated port scan/trojan injection. I was amazed.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

XP without SP2 can't be on the Internet. It's been that way for a long time. Likely without SP3 now. ;)

Edited by LilBambi, 05 April 2013 - 10:13 PM.

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#8 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

Once XP is officially dead, XP will no longer be on the Internet here. Will have to totally turn off the network connection on my Virtualbox XP.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#9 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:04 AM

I miss Win 98 SE. :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

lol. yes, at the time it was great! i feared moving to xp because i thought games would run slowly, turned out they were faster!
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

I have a box with a legal copy of XP on it that I am trying to sell but no one wants it. Guess I will keep it as a backup pc. :shifty:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

I have a retail copy of WinXP Home that is not even installed on anything and I only use it to boot some computers that don't want to boot right to fixmbr or maybe to copy a broken system's registry hive so I can recover their own Microsoft Keys like for Microsoft Office and maybe even Windows XP before reinstalling for them. ;)

I do wish folks would remember to run Belarc Advisor and print it out, especially after installing purchased software as the license keys are always on the Belarc Advisor pages they print out. Saves time in the event of a catastrophe with a hard drive failure or totally bunged and unfixable/unbootable installation of Windows.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

I also wish folks would read the instructions so they'd know they need to make restore/recovery disks!
Then after all the crud is cleaned off, make an image. Both those things saves time so you don't need to spend days cleaning or troubleshooting software problems.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

You missed the option that I will use.  Run XP only in a virtual session with a Linux host.

#15 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

View Postzlim, on 06 April 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

I also wish folks would read the instructions so they'd know they need to make restore/recovery disks!
Then after all the crud is cleaned off, make an image. Both those things saves time so you don't need to spend days cleaning or troubleshooting software problems.

AMEN! with all caps!!! So true Liz!

And if they buy online software, create a file with their installation/license key information and put it in the folder with the installer and burn it to a disk!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostTemmu, on 06 April 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

lol. yes, at the time it was great! i feared moving to xp because i thought games would run slowly, turned out they were faster!

I was actually dragged kicking and screaming to XP. I loved Win98SE. I accused all my friends, who started using XP when if first came out, of going to the "dark side." ;)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   rolanaj

rolanaj

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

I have a laptop that needs a power cord and a PC that my oldest daughter left here for her sister that both run XP. Neither one of them are being used at the moment. Once I get the room set up for them and the new power cord I will be putting Linux on both of them. I am actually thinking the laptop might be better for the little one to play on. I do have a laptop that runs Windows 7 and until support for that goes I'll keep it.
Registered Linux User #554733

#18 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 06 April 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

I miss Win 98 SE. :)
I miss DOS 5.0! :shifty:

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#19 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Nah... DOS 6.22 was my fav. ;)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

And DOS could not resolve a hostname.......

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

I like resolving Hostess. YUM!

Posted Image

Oh, wait... you said hostname.

Nevermind. :(
Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 06 April 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

I was actually dragged kicking and screaming to XP. I loved Win98SE. I accused all my friends, who started using XP when if first came out, of going to the "dark side." ;)

I thought that was for Windows 2000 with the Fisher Price icons?

Turned out that Windows 2000 was a very stable one by the time they finally killed it.

Seems to me they finally kill something about the time it really gets good LOL!

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 06 April 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

Nah... DOS 6.22 was my fav. ;)

MS Dos 6.22 was my favorite too. Still have a floppy or two with that on it in the archives.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#23 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 05 April 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

The firewall will help you, but you don't have to click on anything or even have a browser open to get infected with an unpatched, unprotected MS Windows. Once, after doing a fresh install of Win XP (no svc packs or updates), I left it online (no firewall) without doing anything. In less then 20 minutes, it was attacked and compromised by an automated port scan/trojan injection. I was amazed.
I know this is OT, but I remember those days quite clearly. You had less than 20 minutes to secure a pc when you installed XP and a few times I didn't get done in time and had to redo the installation - which had to be baby-sat :( Things got better when the XP firewall was turned on by default.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#24 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostLilBambi, on 06 April 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

MS Dos 6.22 was my favorite too. Still have a floppy or two with that on it in the archives.

I still have this really good book on the shelf above me as I type this...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Posting Prodigy

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

Hello,

At work we've already standardized on Windows 7, and at home I run a mixture of Windows 7 and Windows 8.  XP does exist, but only in VMs.

As far as work goes, we'll be supporting XP for a long time to come... we only stopped supporting Windows 95 one year ago.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP 2004.1-2018.6 [Cloud and Datacenter Management]

(previously Networking, Windows, Windows for Devices and IT)
FacebookGoogle+ personal blogpersonal websiteTwitter work blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users