98 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

If I installed this OS would I lose the option (as I have with XP) to use a Windows Classic (looks like Win95/98) interface?
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#77 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

View PostWebb, on 12 August 2012 - 02:08 AM, said:

If I installed this OS would I lose the option (as I have with XP) to use a Windows Classic (looks like Win95/98) interface?

I wouldn't bet on it.

Why would you want to use a modern OS and have it look like something from the stone ages?   For those people who are so against change and "new" things in Windows, I shake my head in disbelief.  Ten years from now, with another new operating system from Microsoft, would you continue to want the look & feel of Win95/98?  Good god I hope not my friend.  Eventually you have to move on and adapt.  We're talking technology here folks.  If everything stayed the same, what would be the point?  For those unwilling to adapt to changes, I say go out to your local garage sale, find a cheap Pentium III computer, and have fun with your Win98.

Edited by Tushman, 12 August 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#78 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Does anyone have a real answer - one that answers the question without a paragraph of gratuitous snark?
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

Posted Image
Jim

#79 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

Yes, unless a 3rd party comes up with a functional skin (highly doubtful).
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#80 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Thanks.

Posted Image
Jim

#81 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Posting Prodigy

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:16 AM

[Updated to fix incorrect information.  AG]

Hello,

With Windows 8, after you log in the Start Screen is displayed with the 'Metro' app tiles displayed on it.  To see the desktop, you need to press the Windows + D keys on your keyboard.  Is that what you were asking about, Webb?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Edited by goretsky, 17 August 2012 - 03:32 AM.
Fixed incorrect info about function of Windows key from Start Screen.

Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP 2004.1-2018.6 [Cloud and Datacenter Management]

(previously Networking, Windows, Windows for Devices and IT)
FacebookGoogle+ personal blogpersonal websiteTwitter work blog

#82 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

No, I was asking about whether 8 supports the "Windows Classic" theme.

Posted Image

It does not.

Posted Image
Jim

#83 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

Unfortunately, you always have to boot into the UI formerly known as Metro, now known as Modern. They are making users do that first, btw. BEFORE going to any Desktop UI. From there, you do what Aryeh said to get to the Desktop as outlined here. Now you are at the Desktop UI and would likely have to have a third party add on to get any other UI on the Desktop UI side of things as crp noted (and as he said, unlikely for that but who knows, there were ones for Windows 7, but as far as the old 98/98SE Classic look .. I wouldn't hold your breath,, they even dropped Aero Glass).
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#84 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

I never liked the Luna theme for XP, so I soon had my desktop looking like Windows 2000. When I switched over to Windows 7 I found that the default desktop was pretty nice to look at and work with so - aside from changing the theme a little - I stuck with it.
With Windows 8 on the way I think the Windows 7 desktop will shortly be considered a classic in its own right.
Posted Image

#85 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

View Postraymac46, on 13 August 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

I never liked the Luna theme for XP, so I soon had my desktop looking like Windows 2000. When I switched over to Windows 7 I found that the default desktop was pretty nice to look at and work with so - aside from changing the theme a little - I stuck with it.
With Windows 8 on the way I think the Windows 7 desktop will shortly be considered a classic in its own right.
Do you use Aero? I would miss the semi-transparency.  Heck, I miss it when I use XP.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#86 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:14 AM

I like Aero. Even had KDE3 set up to look a bit like that before even Vista came out.
I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for quite a long time for those 2 programs I have that won't run well in Linux (Phoenix Flight Sim, and GTA4, maybe more games later). I tell ya, setting up GTA4 with Games For Windows Live Login, Rockstar Social Club login, Skype login, and SecureROM really drove home the point of how little freedom there is in the Windows world.
MS probably dropped Metro name due to it's connotations of Metrosexual, which is like a new name for Yuppie. Imagine, new MS Yuppie OS! :lol:
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#87 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Posting Prodigy

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:27 AM

Hello,

I did not see a 'Windows Classic' theme included in the Release Preview of Windows 8, however, you may be able to get close to that experience by disabling the Themes service from the Services Control Manager.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

View PostWebb, on 13 August 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

No, I was asking about whether 8 supports the "Windows Classic" theme.

Posted Image

It does not.

Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP 2004.1-2018.6 [Cloud and Datacenter Management]

(previously Networking, Windows, Windows for Devices and IT)
FacebookGoogle+ personal blogpersonal websiteTwitter work blog

#88 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

View Postsunrat, on 14 August 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

MS probably dropped Metro name due to it's connotations of Metrosexual, which is like a new name for Yuppie. Imagine, new MS Yuppie OS! :lol:
They dropped it because it is already trademarked and linked to a product by another company.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#89 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

View Postamenditman, on 14 August 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

They dropped it because it is already trademarked and linked to a product by another company.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. :D
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D

#90 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

View Postsunrat, on 14 August 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. :D
That is the story being circulated in all the technology "news". It might also be the truth, but I haven't done any fact checking.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#91 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

View Postcrp, on 14 August 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

Do you use Aero? I would miss the semi-transparency.  Heck, I miss it when I use XP.

Yes I like the Aero look and feel.
Posted Image

#92 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

I run Aero on my Win 7 installation on my laptop. It's like KDE 4 that actually works. ;)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#93 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

View Postraymac46, on 14 August 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

Yes I like the Aero look and feel.

Me too raymac. I like it a lot. Best UI Microsoft came up with ever. And they ditch it...sigh...
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#94 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

Even though I do a fair bit of IT consultation for the neighborhood seniors, I intend to stay with Windows 7 as long as I can. Anyone who buys a new machine with Windows 8 will have to deal with my learning curve if they expect some help.
I never installed/purchased a machine with Vista but I have helped out some folks in our town who had it on their PCs.
Aside from the ugly Start Screen and a few other goodies like the Charms Bar I think Win 8 won't be that tough to decipher.
Posted Image

#95 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

Heard that! :thumbsup:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#96 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

Windows 8
Posted Image
Thanks to Geek And Poke.

#97 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

:hysterical:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#98 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

View Postcrp, on 14 August 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

I used

http://www.crystalxp...1.12.cat.7.html

and

http://rocketdock.com/

and some of these

http://rocketdock.co...ons/all/popular

An I were very happy with my XP.  :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#99 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

View Postsunrat, on 30 August 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Windows 8
Posted Image
Thanks to Geek And Poke.

that is great, sunrat!
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 8, disaster, design, review, kingsley-hughes, zdnet, hardware 2.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users