98 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

View Postcrp, on 12 June 2012 - 02:42 AM, said:

the File Explorer changes are going to drive you nuts. as well as the pathetic search. else, you'll come to appreciate the lack of crashing and how the vast majority of OS things can get done quicker.
That is exactly the thing that drives me nuts about Win7. I am so entrenched in 10 years+ of XP that the changes are near intolerable. I want an XP Pro desktop mode!

Edited by amenditman, 28 July 2012 - 02:17 PM.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#52 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:56 AM

Valve Boss Gabe Newell Says ''Windows 8 is a Catastrophe''
Looks like game developers are pessimistic about Windows8 too. Blizzard (Diablo 3) have also expressed the same opinion.
Maybe that's why Valve are actively developing their Steam client for Linux, and are also working on a Linux port of Left 4 Dead 2.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#53 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

View Postsunrat, on 30 July 2012 - 03:56 AM, said:

Me thinks that Gabe is worried about the MS app store that will be in direct competition with Gabe's Steam store, and he wants WIN8 to fail.
Mac
"Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks,
it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#54 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

Actually, many gaming companies are leery of Windows 8 from what i am reading. It's not just Gabe's Steam store.

Blizzard and Valve Pan Windows 8 - PC Mag

Spurred on by Newell's statements, Blizzard's executive vice president of game design, Rob Pardo, went on Twitter to confirm that Windows 8 isn't presenting much of a wonderful experience for his company.
"Nice interview with Gabe Newell – 'I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space' - not awesome for Blizzard either," Pardo wrote.

And this could be a lot of it!

Valve: OpenGL outpaces DirectX, even under Windows - IT ProPortal (reprint with permission from ZDNet)

In a scary twist that reinforces Valve’s distaste for Windows 8, it turns out that the Source engine – the 3D engine that powers Half Life 2, Left 4 Dead, and Dota 2 – runs faster on Ubuntu 12.04 and OpenGL than Windows 7 and DirectX/Direct3D.
The Valve Linux Team breaks it down on their shiny new blog: With an Nvidia GTX 680, Intel i7-3930k, and 32GB of RAM, Windows 7 and DirectX, Left 4 Dead 2 maxes out at 270.6 fps (frames per second). With the same hardware, but different software – Ubuntu 12.04 and OpenGL – Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) scores 315 fps, almost 20 per cent faster than Windows.

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#55 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

I don't like it. But it looks like Microsoft is making the right step with Windows 8.

#56 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

Leo Laporte has been using it extensively, and he reports that he has gotten used to the Metro style interface. He notes however, that it really shines on a touch screen.

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#57 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Microsoft is making a MAJOR mistake forcing folks to boot into the UI formerly known as Metro, and then booting to Windows 8 Desktop UI from there. That sucks, big time.

Didn't they learn anything from eeePC where folks installed their own OS on it instead of using the 'OOTB' OS because they hated having to do that.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#58 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostLilBambi, on 07 August 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

Didn't they learn anything from eeePC where folks installed their own OS on it instead of using the 'OOTB' OS because they hated having to do that.
I think they learned that if they threw enough money at OEMs and advertising, they could crush the competition even when the competition had a better product.

No wait, they learned that one a long time ago when they smashed Netscape into powder.

No, maybe it was when they wiped Word Perfect from the face of the Earth.

Oh well, maybe they learned nothing.

REGLUE

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#59 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

i, as many of you, used to laugh-out-loud when borland ran its ads (correctly) touting program superiority against ms's products.
but the ms juggernaut steamed along to victory.
Posted Image

#60 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Superior financing, inferior products. The key to success?

REGLUE

www.reglue.org

#61 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Carpy products, great marketing. That's the key to success, it would seem. Works for our Chinese friends.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#62 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

Carpy products, great marketing. That's the key to success, it would seem.
That's the western model. The Chinese way is copy, outposition and undersell the competition.

#63 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,601 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

... copy, outposition and undersell the competition.

And don't forget flood the market.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#64 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

I don't think they are very good at marketing at all anymore.

They are lame! Did you hear that they now want to change the name of the UI formerly known as "Metro" to "Modern" ... I am not kidding. That is so lame!

Microsoft: Don't call it Metro. Call it 'Windows 8' - ZDNet

See Update 1:

Update: On August 9, Tom Warren at The Verge published a post with a number of Microsoft references to "Modern" as a possible replacement for Metro. So does this mean "Windows 8" was just a temporary placeholder? Is Modern the new official term? Or is "Modern" meant to be used in specific instances and "Windows 8" when talking about apps? I don't know and Microsoft isn't talking.

I can not believe they couldn't find a better name for it!

Why not go with Neoteric (At least that's somewhat unique), or anything other than the mundane and extremely overused word: Modern, for Pete's sake.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#65 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

They probably want to promote the idea that the interface formerly known as Metro is really part of the unified Windows 8 experience. Using Metro and Windows 8 Desktop as separate terms reinforces the impression that the touch inspired interface was somehow bolted on to the WIMP Desktop they've had for 25 years or so.
Posted Image

#66 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Well, Metro was a codename...... Remember Whistler?

Adam

#67 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

it certainly does.
pugged up and fragmented.
pictures of my otherwise useful expensive monitor, now covered in fingerprints.
Posted Image

#68 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostTemmu, on 10 August 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

it certainly does.
pugged up and fragmented.
pictures of my otherwise useful expensive monitor, now covered in fingerprints.
:hysterical:
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#69 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

I guess I will be in the minority by saying that I don't hate the name Modern. Windows Modern? Works for me,  guess.

Adam

#70 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

View Postross549, on 10 August 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

I guess I will be in the minority by saying that I don't hate the name Modern. Windows Modern? Works for me,  guess.

Adam
Windows Modern, as opposed to all the recent releases that were nothing but recycled, copied, or purchased carp.

REGLUE

www.reglue.org

#71 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

When I think of Modern, it reminds me of a talk I went to a few years ago on Modern Art. The audience was surprised to find that Modern was anything from 1860 to approx 1970... :whistling:

Edited by raymac46, 10 August 2012 - 06:59 PM.

Posted Image

#72 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

Since MS is moving away from "windows" and moving toward tiles and wants everything to be tapped or touched, why not TouchTiles version 1? TilesTouch v1? TapTiles v1. TileTap v1? Tap 'nTouchTiles v1? :harhar: (TTT for short?)
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#73 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

In Windows 8, we finally get a window-like logo and UI. But in the beginning, when Microsoft said, 'Let there be windows!'  we got a 'desktop' instead. :teehee:  This time, for names/labels, the metaphors should work. Why not call those tiles 'panes', and the UI, Outlook or Visio? :harhar:

#74 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

The problem is that they think they can tell people that it was always supposed to be Modern, when all their marketing was to the contrary. They never used codenames for final marketing like this and then changed it mid-stream.

They should just fess up and be done with it and move on.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#75 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

When I think of Modern, it reminds me of a talk I went to a few years ago on Modern Art. The audience was surprised to find that Modern was anything from 1860 to approx 1970...
In terms of function and process, the new interface may be innovative, avant garde (which makes 'metro' a good name). But as visual design, it really is modernistic (a worldview that went out of fashion in the 60s). Its elements are simplifications, clean, orderly and structured. The name 'modern' is true to its appearance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 8, disaster, design, review, kingsley-hughes, zdnet, hardware 2.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users