93 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   adkinsd

adkinsd

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 10:49 AM

1.  Software that doesn't provide opportunities to customize/control the install:     - Automatically decides to stick shortcut icons on your desktop, IE links toolbar, quickluanch icons, favoites folder, system tray of startmenu, etc.     - Doesn't let you decide what drive/directory to install the software     - Doesn't let you decide if you want it start automatically everytime you start windows

#52 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 01:15 PM

:D unwanted starting software - hate that  :D at first they snucked it in the autoexec.bat or config.systhen they sneeked it in the startup folderthen the registry, hklm software ms windows run keyand load= in what, win.ini?anyone know of other ways windows starts unwanted stuff?
Posted Image

#53 OFFLINE   Prelude76

Prelude76

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 02:57 PM

does anyone else also hate how you download an 'installation', but after you run SETUP or INSTALL, it connects to the internet to download a lot more files before installing?Micro$oft is notorious for starting this trend, but many others are following suit.and the all time WORST software annoyance is AUTO=UPDATE!  if all programs all had auto-update on and tried to update each day or week, yeah, you can imagine how long before something screws up.about my previous post about Sims, hehe, had to let my feelings out on that   :) I forgot one more annoying thing about games (and most software)...  all their boxes are now third the size, and manuals are included on CD.  I know we're all trying to save the planet by cutting back on packaging/manuals, but I came across an old copy of Flight Simulator that had big thick manuals explaining how to fly, and aerial navigation charts!  i really miss those perks.  It seems nowadays, for shelling out $50+ for software, all you get is a small box and inside you find a few CDs in a paper envelope (i guess jewel cases are getting too expensive for the manufacurers  :) so you're forced to scavange for an old jewel case to use, print off a CD case cover so it looks half decent in your CD rack, and print off dozens of pages using up the ink (that seems to be worth more than gold per ounce) just so you can read the manual without staring at pixels on your monitor.  :)

#54 OFFLINE   Prelude76

Prelude76

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 03:02 PM

Temmu, on Apr 15 2003, 12:15 PM, said:

anyone know of other ways windows starts unwanted stuff?
yeah, I do.Norton, Zone Alarm, nVidia and others (a lot more) now add a SERVICE in Windows XP as a way of starting up programs.  Norton AntiVirus 2003 for example install half a dozen SERVICES to start, and I read somewhere 2 or 3 of them can safely be DISABLED so they dont start up in bootuphehe..   time to go check your services running, eh?  its in Control Panel -> Administrative -> servicesby the way, you can probably disable a dozen microsoft run-on-startup services to speed things up more.  visit blackviper.com to get a good list of whats safe to zap and whats not.

#55 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 05:23 PM

thx, prelude76.i guess i forgot how much like nt, xp is.v. scarry.   :)   :)
Posted Image

#56 OFFLINE   zimon

zimon

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 11:02 PM

Temmu, on Apr 15 2003, 07:15 PM, said:

at first they snucked it in the autoexec.bat or config.systhen they sneeked it in the startup folderthen the registry, hklm software ms windows run keyand load= in what, win.ini?
Yes. One revelation came when I first installed a firewall. I kind of expected a shock -  being made aware of the many attempts to break into my computer. But to my surprise there were very few - if any.  Instead I was horrified over the many attempts to "break out" of my computer!, that is - software attempting to establish an outside connection - which my firewall blocked.  I guess I was no longer in shock about this when I later installed a utility called RegRun3 (or ver2 at the time), which among other things monitors the registry, startup folder and NT-services, and pops up a warning when any of the "vitals" change. It just confirmed what I learned from my firewall, that many programs insists on running at startup - and without my explicit concent (explicit does not mean buried in the fine print). And sometimes even the nice ones do it too: They offer you an option to turn off auto update in the program configuration, but - unfortunately has the feature turned on as default. And of course, when you install - the first thing the program do - before you can change the config, is run auto update. Although now I just say HA HA  - gotcha! - when my firewall pops up a warning and lets me block the attempt. I guess in most cases  the auto update is "harmless" - it does what it is supposed to do - check for updates. Problem is, as consumers - there is no way we can tell. We don't know what data they collect and send. Only thing we can do is trust that software companies worry about their reputation enough not to invade our privacy. Can we?All the best,zimon

#57 OFFLINE   Guy Owen

Guy Owen

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 11:10 PM

I could come up with 50, at least. Why just a "Top 10"? ~8-)1) While I was Registering here, this one hit me: Why does Registration Software require you to enter your Password Twice, but your User Name only once?2) Why does it require you to enter your Email Address Twice, but your User Name only once? Doesn't anybody trust you to know what your User Name and Password should be -- and how to spell them correctly the first time? Is there an echo in here?3) Why does software ask if you want to NOT install some feature, and then install it, anyway -- no matter what your answer is? Are you listening Bill Gates?? Not only is that irritating, it's rude.4) Why do Programmers keep moving features around on the Menu Lists? And how come the places where they put things are NOT the places any average User would choose?5) Why doesn't software trust you when you choose "DELETE"? Does it really believe you're stupid enough to choose to Delete something that should NOT be Deleted? It's okay to offer a way to retrieve it, but why incessantly ask the question "Are you sure you want to Delete this?" No, you clown, I was just joking!6) Can't anyone figure out how to list the States in an online or software Registration or shopping cart check-out routine the SAME way? Why do they insist on calling Washington DC a State when it isn't? If you choose "DC" as the State, it comes back listed as "Washington DC DC". That's not correct. At other sites, you MUST enter DC as the State. Well, I don't agree with Congress, but it is NOT a State. Yet.7) Can't they figure out whether the Billing or Shipping Address Forms should come FIRST? One site/program puts the Shipping Address first, the next puts the other one first. Make up your D*** mind!8) How about CAPS? Are they important, or not? Get your act together. Either everything should HAVE to be in lower case -- or  nothing should.9) Why does Microsoft FORCE you to own Office in order to have a spellcheck for Outlook Express? Can't they figure out how to spellcheck a simple email message?10) What's up with the dashes used in Credit Card Numbers? Are they necessary, or not? PLEASE STATE THE REQUIREMENT PROMINENTLY!! before I start filling out your stupid purchase form, you numbnuts!!11) Here's the worst one -- what IDIOT thought it was a good thing to delete everything you already filled in, only because their stupid form doesn't like some trivial thing about your typing? Such as, you put dashes in the Credit Card Number. It gets rejected. Then you find all 50 of the previous blocks of info were deleted, forcing you to start all over again. D***, that's a stupid way to conduct business.

#58 OFFLINE   Paul Thornett

Paul Thornett

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 04:21 AM

I'll provide just 2, if that's OK!1) Excessive use of modal windows. Try editing 2 stored procedures in Sql Server at the same time (impossible)!2) Non-resizable windows, e.g. dialogue windows where you can't see the full question, or the area in which to answer.

#59 OFFLINE   ajw

ajw

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:56 AM

Incomprehensible error messages which no user has a hope of understanding (thank goodness for Google)

#60 OFFLINE   vegan

vegan

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 12:16 AM

You did not mention the two pop ups that bug me the most.  Pop ups that say something has gone wrong without saying what application created the pop up.  (for example: "Write error.  Cannot connect to the XYZ device".  Since I no longer have the XYZ device, how do I find the application that is complaining?)Pop up error messages that cannot be captured or printed or quoted in an e-mail to support.  I guess I should upgrade my computer with a pencil and paper.

#61 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 11:59 AM

The last message in this thread was deleted because it referred to the availability of copyrighted material posted for unauthorized distribution. This message thankfully did not provide a direct link to an illegal download. However, the Admins and Moderators of this forum do not condone or allow the posting of messages that either imply or specifically state ways to obtain copyrighted materials against the wishes of the copyright holder.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#62 OFFLINE   irkregent

irkregent

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 04:38 PM

Here are a couple of my peeves with software:(1)  Not being command-line friendly.(2)  Not documenting command-line options.

#63 OFFLINE   ebandit

ebandit

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 01:45 PM

WOW lots of good ones.My list at this moment:1. Program that detects hardware..but can't detect it if it is being used...but you have to be online to use the rest of the features (USR modem detector and "update" feature)2. Unresizable windows.3. Stealing focus.4. Changing my default settings without my consent (like a "pop-up" window that changes the default size of my New Brower window)5. Lack of configurability.6. Inability to cancel a process within a program when I decide that "wasn't what I wanted to do"7. New versions with commands that are moved/changed8. Freeware programs that start charging if you get a new OS (the free version doesnt' work under the newer OS- gotcha)9. "Click here for help" but it requires a network connection and it is to FIX the problem I am having connecting----really smart programmers! 10. Tech support that cant speak recognizable English.11. Tech support that asks you to repeat something over and over till you puke!

#64 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 04:52 PM

and speaking of tech, er, support (?)   :) 1.  they read their menu (and you must follow)2. they've never owned a pc (reading the menu is their first pc experience)3. they are oblivious to common sense (back to nr. 1.)4. they cannot understand why you cannot understand them (um, what language is that?)5.  they are already infuriated from the last caller (who, no doubt, is infuriated with them(and why not?))6.  you cannot get to level 2 support (see nr. 1., above)7. it's everything else's fault, not their product (so, smoke coming from the hd means nothing.  nothing at all.)8. you ship us your defective piece and when we get it, we'll ship you a replacement(just a few tidbits from my vast collection of hours on the phone with, um, tech, er, what? support.)  :)
Posted Image

#65 OFFLINE   littlebone

littlebone

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 11:49 AM

ebandit, on May 5 2003, 12:45 PM, said:

3. Stealing focus.
Amen to that! I swear that I changed a Win2K registry setting to only flash the task bar icon when new data comes in, and I still have the focus stolen by some apps.I might add:
  • Graphics software that assumes you want to use its proprietary format and makes that easy to find in Save. Then all other formats require burrowing deep through nested menus.
  • The moving "preferences" option. Some apps put it under the "FILE", some under "EDIT". MS puts it in "Tools".
  • Programs that toss your customizations (skins, settings, preferences) when you install a new version.
I use Outlook Express to read my "throw-away" hotmail account since Outlook 2K only reads POP3 mail. Anyway, OE minimizes any e-mail I open as soon as I open it. I can't figure out why. So the annoyance? Why isn't there a way for me to find out what registry setting causes this?

#66 OFFLINE   SocBum

SocBum

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 12:57 PM

These get my blood boilingChanges default settingsAdds desktop icons for trial softwareAdds items to the start menuChanges the banner name to whatever they want

#67 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 02:17 PM

penguins using pc's [sees bruno comming]  :ph34r:[temmu runs for the hills]   B)
Posted Image

#68 OFFLINE   bazcook

bazcook

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 07:29 PM

Programs that have a ReadMe but it is only available after the program installs - at which time you find out by reading this text the software is incompatible with your computer and much of what you have on it, prone to some fairly substantial bugs, is actually shareware with spyware included and the entire program has no known safe uninstall.______________________________Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum

#69 OFFLINE   ibe98765

ibe98765

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 12:49 AM

- Software authors that don't answer emails sent to them.  If you can't answer questions or provide support, then don't publish the software.- Authors who suck people into registering a product and then you find out that the product hasn't or won't ever be updated.  An example of this is the web site for a product called Clip Cache (http://www.xrayz.co.uk/clipcache/).  This author (John Williams) took my $20 a couple of years ago.  After a year of many false promises without any updates or fixes and significant time lag between his responses, I bailed and wrote off the investment.  The current release of Clip Cache is now almost 3 years old without an update.  I have noticed that the author has updated his website to say that he now supposrts Win/XP, apparently trying to snooker new users into believing that the program is more recent that it is.  I've switched to ClipMate which is head and shoulders above Clip Cache in functionality, is updated regularly and with the added benefit that the author quickly replies to issues.

#70 OFFLINE   Agent007

Agent007

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 02:39 AM

hi,I think the heading, "The 35 Most Annoying Things About Software" is too generalised and tends to include good software like GNUin one category..How about, "The 35 Most Annoying Things About Proprietary Software" This would send out the message in a more appropriate manner and the software industry would realise that better alternatives are on the way.007

#71 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 08:25 AM

Hi Agent007 --Personally, I think all software -- good or bad, proprietary or open source -- can learn some valuable lessons from this thread.No software is perfect and every software developer, regardless of what type of software they write, needs to know what users think of different aspects the software they've used, and what's extremely annoying to them.As such, it is all valuable information and I think that this thread meets that need admirably. ;)As my son says, "It's all good."  :(
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#72 OFFLINE   Peter Ski

Peter Ski

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 02:13 PM

Two of the Most Annoying Things About Software to me are:1.  The ability to buy Family (or Home) Licenses for software at a reasonable price.  If software companies want to reduce piracy, allow parents (or legal guardians) with school age children to buy additional software licenses at a resonable price.  I am using more and more freeware because I cannot afford to pay full price or slightly discounted prices for additional software licenses.  How about full price for the first license and a cost of 10% (or 20%, I'll be reasonable) of the full price for each additional license up to, say 5 licenses per full price copy.  The additional licenses cost a company peanuts compared to the cost of the first boxed package.  I don't mind paying for software, because I believe you get what you pay for.  Lindows has the right idea on licensing for Families (or Home), even though I'm not very fond of a yearly subscription price.  (Even better yet, how about baking in the extra licenses into the cost and license agreement for Families (or Home).  So you increase your software price say 10%.  I would rather pay 10% higher price and get the extra licenses, than pay three or four times the price.)2.  The growing trend in not allowing you to move the software you have purchased to a new or different machine.  Microsoft started this trend with Product Activation and other companies are starting to follow.  Listen Software Companies, if you lock my hands, I'll lock my pocket book and go somewhere else.  Product Activation is not the answer.  You would be surprised at how many friends and neighbors I know that are deciding they don't need that new computer, or a computer at all.  And I live in one of the top 5 richest counties in the nation.  Imagine what they are saying in the poorer counties in the nation.  And you wonder why Computer and Software sales are flat.

#73 OFFLINE   Agent007

Agent007

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 02:38 PM

LilBambi, on May 28 2003, 05:55 PM, said:

Hi Agent007 --Personally, I think all software -- good or bad, proprietary or open source -- can learn some valuable lessons from this thread.
hmmm...I did'nt think from that point of view....Good point.thanks,007 B)

#74 OFFLINE   Paul Thornett

Paul Thornett

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 07:49 PM

I know I've said this before, but surely modal windows must be one of the most annoying features of bad software design. I'm really surprised nobody else has brought this topic up. There are times when the use of a modal window is clearly the best choice - for example for the display of error messages - but there are many times when it's merely an irritation.

#75 OFFLINE   choco

choco

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 01:56 PM

One of my pet software peeves is setting options.  Often the user can choose many different options.  However the option box closes after each one is selected.  Often this option box is two to four steeps deep so the user had to keep clicking too many times to configure the appllication.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users