• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:36 AM

And my blog posting on "Bill Gates On The Future Of DRM" here:http://www.bambismusings.com/?p=473

Gates said that no one is satisfied with the current state of DRM, which “causes too much pain for legitmate buyers” while trying to distinguish between legal and illegal uses. He says no one has done it right, yet. There are “huge problems” with DRM, he says, and “we need more flexible models, such as the ability to “buy an artist out for life” (not sure what he means). He also criticized DRM schemes that try to install intelligence in each copy so that it is device specific.    His short term advice: “People should just buy a cd and rip it. You are legal then.”

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#52 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:43 AM

Interesting note in the NYTimes article that Liz posted:

If the person who identified himself as Muslix64 is able to create a complete version of a decryption program, or if others extend the software so that consumers without technical expertise can readily make copies of movies, that would create a crisis for the HD-DVD camp. That system contains a “revocation” mechanism for shutting down HD-DVD players whose encryption system has been compromised. But industry analysts say that taking such a step would give the HD-DVD system a tremendous black eye, angering consumers and shaking the confidence of Hollywood studios in the system.
Interesting. A Kill Switch. Which may be how they intend to lock out Linux users?
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#53 OFFLINE   RandomBox

RandomBox

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

Interesting quote in the reply that LilBambi posted:

View PostLilBambi, on Jan 7 2007, 07:43 AM, said:

Interesting note in the NYTimes article that Liz posted:

...angering consumers and shaking the confidence of Hollywood studios in the system.
I am soooooo over Hollywood Hooligan B*st*rds.  They are the origin for this whole schlomockery! I guess my future is not going to be in high definition!

#54 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:11 AM

A fascinating discussion with Peter Gutmann, Steve Gibson, and Leo LaPorte on DRM and Vista here. Also a fascinating prior conversation between Steve and Leo last week here.You know what, guys- even sheep get angry if their DVD's won't play on their expensive computers. Especially if a 50 dollar Chinese set top player works just fine with the same disk. Read those two conversations closely. They are saying that DRM infects pretty much all hardware in the future because of what Vista is dictating here. It's quite an ugly mess, and I predict it will backfire on them greatly. I agree with the sentiments in the interview with Peter that this is going to serve to kickstart piracy greatly. And if I ever had even a shred of a desire to upgrade to the latest, greatest in computer platforms, what I now know about Vista has killed that desire totally. Read the discussions and see why Vista requires such intense hardware 'horsepower' to work (at all). It's sickening!Oh, yes, it will cut Linux out of a lot. Won't necessarily kill it, though. Might even make it look real good, by contrast. It all comes down to how much of a slave to hi def stuff you let them make you. And if you insist on having that capability on your computer or whether you'll settle for 'players' to perform that function. Me personally? VHS tapes are fine by me, but I don't waste all that much time watching anything on them anyway. The vast majority of the 'content' produced by the Hooligan B*st*rds is garbage, anyway.The most telling comments in the interview IMO- just think if MS had invested all this capital and effort in making computers more hacker resistant- to viruses and such- instead of wasting it protecting a bunch of virtual gangsters and their nice little obsolete 'profit center'. :hysterical:

Edited by Cluttermagnet, 12 January 2007 - 09:19 AM.

Special Limited Edition Cluttermaster 2007 with direct air cooling system.
"ClutterLabs" --open hardware for open software" .......... Registered Linux User 446867

("It takes an entire village to raise a child...")
"It takes only one bulldozer to raze an entire village..."
"Hey, Fred- isn't that your kid driving that bulldozer?"

In loving memory of Bruno Knaapen of Amsterdam, who shared
his love of Linux, and thereby made the world a better place...

#55 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

Thanks Clutter, I have been doing so much reading on this over the last few years and this whole thing is very big ... it will affect all new hardware from companies in the consortium, the so called Trusted Computing Group (TCG):https://www.trustedc...ggroup.org/homeMore info on my blog on some of this as well. Here's one of my most recent blog entries on this.The most important part for OS users of other platforms (such as Linux/BSD/UNIX/Mac), is that this AACS will affect any computer that comes in contact with Vista!So, users really need to be aware of that. Even Linux users and Mac users who make use of Vista even in a virtual environment could be affected by it even if Vista isn't their main OS on the computer, especially if they use the OEM drivers from any of the companies involved in TCG.This whole thing is a bit of a nightmare for users. Even Peter Guttman was abit scared  of what is going into Vista and the repercussions to users.Users can be affected on so many levels it's frightening. If you buy hardware from a company that fails to pay their 'fees' or goes bankrupt, your purchased hardware could actually stop working at all!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#56 OFFLINE   RandomBox

RandomBox

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:11 PM

View PostLilBambi, on Jan 12 2007, 06:22 AM, said:

...More info on my blog on some of this as well. Here's one of my most recent blog entries on this...
Nice blog entry :hysterical: but why be so nice by calling them "entertainment cartels" and really refer to them (MPAA, RIAA, et al) as what they really are about?  I like calling them "Hooligan B*st*rds" but someone here had suggested the concept of "Hooligan B*st*rd Morons". :devil:It is too unfortunate that we could attempt to call them what they really are; yet the whole issue is a snafu and I am inclined to think that nothing we say or do is going to change matters one iota!  The Hooligan B*st*rds don't wear rose colored glasses >> the color of their eyes is green... as in the dollar sign $$!

#57 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

View PostLilBambi, on Jan 12 2007, 09:22 AM, said:

This whole thing is a bit of a nightmare for users. Even Peter Guttman was a bit scared  of what is going into Vista and the repercussions to users.Users can be affected on so many levels it's frightening. If you buy hardware from a company that fails to pay their 'fees' or goes bankrupt, your purchased hardware could actually stop working at all!
Thanks, LilBambi-The Register article was chilling, and not far off the mark, if at all. I wonder how many will 'get it', manage to have the foresight to not abandon their older hardware platforms as the lemmings leap? As the sheep herd, etc. I imagine almost no one at all 'gets it'. This thing is close to a done deal, near as I can tell. You'd think there would be at least a token 'popular outcry' on this thing. People fighting it like they did Net Neutrality'. I dunno. Hardly a ripple on this pond. Seems like a nightmarish remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", redone as "Invasion of the Desktop System Kidnappers". Oh joy... :hysterical:  :thumbsdown:I just can't tell you how much I'm appreciating the increasing value of all my old, 'obsolete' desktop hardware. It's not infected with their 'virus', and it can't be because it's too 'primitive' to have the electronic hardware/ software 'fangs' enabled to allow that to happen. The heck with their freak show and alleged 'content'. I don't want any part of it. Too bad it has to infect the future of the desktop to the point of essentially destroying the platform. Remember what the MS dude said in the past year or so (in oh, so many words)- they want to dumb down the desktop, ultimately turn it back into the dumb terminal it once was. They want to charge you monthly rent on everything. Between what the Hooligan B*st*rds of the 'content' industry are doing, along with MS, who 'owns the desktop', along with the 'owners of the pipes', along with all those sick, flaky spammers, along with all the spies/ control freaks among us, it's not pretty where the desktop computing experience is headed for... Something like "Smoking Crater Personal Computing Memorial Theme Park and Cobalt Testing Range"? Oh, and they'll charge a stiff price for parking and admission. Ahhh but it'll all be OK- I hear they'll let you rent time so you get to be with a family member at a very special discount during special promotions...  :lol:

Edited by Cluttermagnet, 13 January 2007 - 02:31 PM.

"ClutterLabs" --open hardware for open software" .......... Registered Linux User 446867

#58 OFFLINE   RandomBox

RandomBox

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:24 PM

You {you may wish to} check out the Web site of Free Press, a national group working for media reform. The site, http://www.freepress.net, has all kinds of resources for learning more and taking action to improve the media system. You can sign up as an activist with Free Press and offer your opinion to decision makers on key issues.The discussion about "Who Owns the Media" maybe more fodder for "our" cannons!  Especially, since this whole DRM issue is not just about MicroSoft/WinVista and/or the Hooligan B*st*rds but also includes those who we have elected to serve us... err... corporate intere$t$!

#59 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:57 PM

Well said Clutter and RandomBox and thanks for the kind words and on posting freepress.net's site and that page in particular! I hadn't seen that one yet. Will come in handy for our show tonight. :thumbsup:There are other places that shows the futility of DRM, particularly AACS and their scheme of blacklisting, etc.:http://www.freedom-to-tinker.comhttp://www.eff.org/d...hives/00315.phpAnd it's aways good to re-read Cory Doctorow's DRM talk (to Microsoft as well to see how frustrating it is to know they have gone down this road after the Darknet papers and having invited Cory to talk on this issue years ago. *sigh*I have Cory's DRM Talk on my blog (http://www.bambismusings.com) link right under the header.It always comes down to a big mess for the consumer and will do nothing to thwart the bad guys. It's sad.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#60 OFFLINE   RandomBox

RandomBox

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

Edited by RandomBox, 13 January 2007 - 07:42 PM.

#61 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:35 AM

View PostCluttermagnet, on Jan 12 2007, 08:11 AM, said:

A fascinating discussion with Peter Gutmann, Steve Gibson, and Leo LaPorte on DRM and Vista here. Also a fascinating prior conversation between Steve and Leo last week here.
Steve and Leo continued this discussion in the most recent #75 episode here.I listened to all three in one sitting to get the continuity between them and it's quite telling.  :)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#62 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

Interesting article at The Register: Microsoft: yes, we have no incompatibilitiesFrom the article:

The first instance refers to incompatibilities between Microsoft's Windows 386, 3.x and Windows 95 products and DR-DOS. This was an operating system developed by Digital Research, and later acquired by Novell, which was 100 per cent compatible with Microsoft's MS-DOS. Thanks to citizens in Iowa, who are pursuing a consumer class action lawsuit against Microsoft, these ancient malpractices are being aired once again, and Microsoft executives have been on the stand in Des Moines defending the company's conduct.Microsoft wanted users to believe that interoperability between DR-DOS and Windows was problematic.The second instance refers to incompatibilities between Windows Vista and next-generation High Definition DVDs, BluRay and HD-DVD. The incompatibilities are deliberate, and part of the specification Microsoft gave hardware manufacturers so they could design Vista-compatible hardware. Just before Christmas, Peter Gutmann published a technical analysis of the Vista incompatibilities, listed some of the potential security and stability threats they posed, and some of the situations were they might cause real harm.In this instance, while Microsoft has gone to great lengths to booby trap its software to disable functionality when certain media discs are being played and to degrade performance when it finds what it thinks is counterfeit media, or "unauthorized" copying - it wants us to believe this will not have serious consequences for users.(Until Vista is tested in real world conditions, we won't know for sure if Gutmann's claims are alarmist and Microsoft is telling the truth, or not - or somewhere in between.)

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#63 OFFLINE   RandomBox

RandomBox

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

Thank you LilBambi, again!Issue #75 makes for a very educational read.I actually caught myself taking some notes while reading thru the transcript.I  might as well post what I thought was note-worthy, as an extract

from #3 http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-075.htmThere’s an acronym soup, of course, once again. *They have something called PVP-OPM. PVP stands for the Protected Video Path. OPM stands for Output Protection Management. HDCP...” which we know is *HiDef Content Protection. Or no – yeah. These acronyms are amazing.*...for DVI and HDMI outputs and Macrovision and CGMS-A protection on analog TV outputs*The ability to pass video through a constrictor, that is, a downscaler followed by an upscaler, so that the information content of premium video can be reduced when an unprotected output such as analog VGA is present.”*“Tilt bits are provided in the DDI...” – that’s the Device Driver Interface – “...as the driver’s mechanism for reporting that a hacker is suspected.*The tilt bits are also used by the driver in the PVP-UAB.” That’s another one of these acronyms. UAB is the User Accessible Bus.-------------------------------------------...Leo: Oh, the card would still work on the computer, I just couldn’t play a DVD back.Steve: Correct.Leo: Oh, okay. I was a little scared. I thought the card driver would stop working in its entirety....Leo: Are we sure that’s true?Steve: Yes, we’re absolutely sure. And in fact...Leo: I’m a little less perturbed, then. Because I’m never going to put an HD-DVD in my computer. I’m going to watch it on my TV.Steve: And it’s why I wanted to make this point, why it was so important to make this point, is that even today, as far as we know, current versions of HD-DVDs are allowing full resolution output from component video.-------------------------------------------...Steve: ...The two types of video interfaces are DVI and HDMI. Both of those are able to carry HDCP, the HiDef Content Protection, which basically allows the authentication of your display device itself back to the computer. So what I would urge people to do in the future is, if you are buying screens and displays that you want to be future proof, make sure they do provide HDCP, either with a DVI connector, a Digital Video Interface connector, or the HDMI.Leo: But even farther than that, because we’ve seen some displays that have HDMI, but don’t have HDCP.Steve: That’s true. And in fact...Leo: And those you will not be able to play back HiDef content. In fact, that was part of the problem is that all of these “HDCP-capable” cards sold up to now are not.Steve: Right. Well, because – and there are about nine things I wanted to say right there. Again, I don’t think it’s that it won’t play it. But it won’t play it crisp. It will deliberately run it through...Leo: In some cases it will not play it, but it’s supposed to downscale it.Steve: It’ll run through the constrictor. And again, the content provider in the policy that comes with the individual content is able on a...Leo: So some disks are not enabled.Steve: Correct....Leo: Not all disks require this.Steve: Well, Leo, many people who have DVI – I’m completely DVI based. And not a single one of my computer monitors, which is DVI, has HDCP because they were never intended to be secure content delivery screens. They’re computer screens.Leo: So can you play HiDef DVDs on those screens?Steve: No.Leo: So you’re saying that, even though the disk doesn’t require it, the hardware is.Steve: Correct.
Both Leo and Steve are brilliant individuals and I am glad they have chosen computers as a profession to educate me all these years!

#64 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:57 PM

Now that is what I call circular reasoning!  Ouch!  DRM has made an absolute mess of things :(

#65 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

I've listened to all of Steve and Leo's latest broadcasts. Well, read mostly. I've absorbed about as much as I can. Acronym soup indeed. This all makes my head hurt. I'm sure glad I have zero emotional, financial, and hardware investment in 'hi def'. Ach! Ptui! But their crappy DRM stuff is going to kill my beloved personal computing platform anyway, slowly and by degrees, it seems. It's more of a problem for the next generation, I guess. They actually care about that sort of stuff. Man, I love vinyl! See? Cave men were good for something, after all. Who knew?  :)  :( I have already 'unsold' one future copy of 'asta la Vista'. My buddy with the fancy new 64 bit platform has looked deeper into this DRM nightmare and reversed himself, saying "no way!". He's now going to try to ride out the storm with XP for the duration. Seems it will be good enough for the less demanding home video stuff he works with personally. He's not so much lapping out of Hollywood's (Hooligan B*st*rds') trough with the DVD's, it seems. So no cold turkey necessary in his case. But I suppose his relationship with the generic personal computing platform per se would be a bit more along the lines of "...you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands..."  :rolleyes: Ruin that and you're going to have an angry mob with torches and pitchforks a gatherin'...

Edited by Cluttermagnet, 23 January 2007 - 05:55 PM.

#66 OFFLINE   RandomBox

RandomBox

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:46 PM

One really can't blame them for attempting to protect the vested interests that they have.But the burden should not be on the consumer.My big gripe is that we end up paying the price to protect us from us....and if that is not bad enough, why is it that I always have to be threatened by an FBI warning on the screen, EACH TIME I attempt to watch a movie on my lowly DVD player {UserNoOp be ******}? :pirate:107 years ago, Dorothy broke the news to her dog, Toto, that they were now in a foreign land. :(

#67 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

Yes, it's very interesting. I especially thought it was interesting that even if you are just opting for a business computer that would never see HiDef DVDs you still can't get a version of the OS that would be free of all that. Likely because they feel that folks would just buy that version ... and who could blame the consumer for doing that?They make criminals of those who try to make fair use of what they buy .. treating them in the same category of those who put pirated copies of movies on stands to sell for a few dollars a piece in a foreign country...now those are REAL pirates.We just want to make personal fair use of what we buy for backup/archival purposes and to listen/watch them on other devices we own.There is nothing sinister in that.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#68 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:08 PM

View PostSpecmon, on Dec 25 2006, 09:45 PM, said:

This is a long read, very well thought out by someone that had no previous axe to grind. A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection The Vista security spec is described as "the longest suicide note in history"Merry Christmas.   See you all in Hades  :D  ;) Specmon
Finally took the time to read the entire link.  Truly amazing.  This should be a "must read" for all business and govt IS pros.  I thought Vista was supposed to be all about providing secure computing for corporate interest but it seems the only things corporations will get from Vista are mind boggling headaches.It makes it obvious that M$ has totally sacrificed Vista to the great god "media content provider."  They've sold out completely to the RIAA and MPAA. I know a lot of Linux users are afraid Vista will become "the law-of-the-land" and finally give M$ the iron tight monopoly they've been striving for for decades.  But I think just the opposite will occur.  IMO, Vista will prove to be M$'s downfall.  After all, other than the MPAA and RIAA, who benefits from switching to Vista?Why should a big corp want to use Vista when it causes their hardware to shutdown and the only advantage is "pretty graphics?"  Why should gamers want to use it when it means they can no longer "tinker" with their machines?  Why would the "Joe Average" want to use it when it just triples his cost of a computer he only uses for email and Internet anyway? There is also the theory floating around that component manufacturers will have to abandon writing Linux drivers for their equipment because of strictures placed on them in fulling the Vista  license demands.  I think this premise is also flawed.  I think it will inevitably create a two pronged market.  Stuff made strictly for Vista and stuff made for the mass market of people so ticked off they will never touch another M$ product in their life!!!!! B)

Edited by lewmur, 25 January 2007 - 01:10 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:51 PM

View PostSpecmon, on Dec 31 2006, 09:43 PM, said:

Anyone find it strange that certain of our more strident Microsoft supporters have not chimed in?  B) They seem a bit conspicuous by their absence, do they not?  ;) But then again, how does one support an "unsupportable" premise? :D
Actually, as a Microsoft supporter with a Windows OS (currently XP but plan on getting Vista), I really hadn't seen a need to reply in a thread that has pretty much been a discussion by non-Microsoft/Windows supporters, particularly as titled and with comments like the quoted sample that I read more as baiting than open to discussion.  Since your minds are made up, I see no point in disagreeing.  For the sake of presenting a balanced discussion, however, since non-Microsoft/Windows supporters may not be inclined to locate a response by Microsoft to the posted article, I decided that it wouldn't hurt for those condeming Vista before it is even "out the door" to read Windows Vista Content Protection - Twenty Questions (and Answers).Not on DRM, but Jim Allchin wrote an excellent article on Security Features vs. Convenience that may address lewmur's questions. As to the cost of Vista, take a look at Ed Bott's post, Vista OEM prices finally appear.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#70 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

View PostCorrine, on Jan 25 2007, 02:51 PM, said:

As to the cost of Vista, take a look at Ed Bott's post, Vista OEM prices finally appear.
Two points.  One, the "cost" of Vista isn't just in the price of the OS itself but in the cost of the hardware necessary to make it do anything.  If I were to spend the $100 with my present computer, all I would accomplish would be to slow down my computer and give M$ to ability to shut it down anytime they so desired.Two, that OEM price is for a ONE TIME install.  The very first time you change ANYTHING of significance in the hardware, you void the license and have to pay again.  And again.  And again.  No thanks.

Edited by lewmur, 25 January 2007 - 02:12 PM.

#71 OFFLINE   Specmon

Specmon

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

A story in today's Inquirer notes that Peter Gutmann has found and already responded to the "20 questions and answers".  He's not impressed:

It seems Mr Gutmann is at it again, and has updated his masterwork. This time he points out the inherent contradictions in the Microsoft piece, and there seem to be a lot of them. We all know Vista is a DRM laden kick in the civil liberties, but does Microsoft have to be so daft in its defence? Read the updates starting here
Here's part of his response, there is a bunch more:

Do things such as HFS (Hardware Functionality Scan) affect the ability of the open-source community to write a driver?    No. HFS uses additional chip characteristics other than those needed to write a driver. HFS requirements should not prevent the disclosure of all the information needed to write drivers. This claim is directly contradicted by a document by the same author which states:    Such tests could involve loading a surface with an image, and then getting the chip to apply various visual effects to the image and reporting back the resulting pixels. and then later on:    The internal workings of the graphics chip must be kept secret, such that a hacker building an emulator could not find out the required information. So this document, the primary reference for Vista's content protection, states exactly the opposite of what's said in Microsoft's response, namely that standard chip functionality (in this case graphics rendering in a GPU) is exercised for HFS, and that the device details have to be kept secret to prevent someone emulating the functionality.
Then there is this:

Will Windows Vista audio content protection mean that HDMI outputs can't be shown as S/PDIF outputs?    It is better if they show as different codec types, as it allows the difference to be reflected in the UI, thus providing the user help with their configuration and creating a better user experience. The user wants to know the difference between HDMI and S/PDIF, as they are different physical connectors. From reading the slashdot comments on this, it's nice to see that I wasn't the only one who immediately thought of Orwell when they read this reply:    War is peace!    Slavery is freedom!    We have always been at war with consume^H^H^H^H^H^Hpirates!This is another one of these twilight-zone comments that seem to crop up again and again when discussing Vista's content protection. The HDMI designers had very good reasons for making HDMI's audio S/PDIF-compatible, as discussed in the writeup. Arguing that creating an artificial difference between the two because it gives users more control is like arguing that manual gearboxes are better because they provide more control — this may (technically) be the case, but unless you're an F1 driver you're probably not going to appreciate this very much. Less is more. War is peace.
Go read the rest, is not nearly as large as the original post.

#72 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:42 PM

View Postlewmur, on Jan 25 2007, 01:08 PM, said:

Two points.  One, the "cost" of Vista isn't just in the price of the OS itself but in the cost of the hardware necessary to make it do anything.  If I were to spend the $100 with my present computer, all I would accomplish would be to slow down my computer and give M$ to ability to shut it down anytime they so desired.Two, that OEM price is for a ONE TIME install.  The very first time you change ANYTHING of significance in the hardware, you void the license and have to pay again.  And again.  And again.  No thanks.
As to hardware, I guess that depends on your current PC and the version of Vista selected.  With life support extended for XP Home& Media Center five years, I would expect within that time most folks hardware will need to be replaced anyway.Where is it written that OEM installs are one-time only?  Did you lose the key between installs?    The key does not "expire" merely because you, for example, replace a printer.  If WGA doesn't recognize it for some reason, its a free call to MS to get it squared away.I'm not interested in debating any of you any further.  You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.  I promise I will not start a thread in the ATL forum entitled "Linux be Dam*ed".
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#73 OFFLINE   RandomBox

RandomBox

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

My head is spinning from TMI. :'(Here are a few salient points from the provided links that I like:1) I liked  this blog entry

Q: Why doesn't Microsoft "stand up" to the RIAA/MPAA and just say "****, no, we won't go!"...?A: Two reasons occur to me:*) In that event the RIAA/MPAA would just go around Microsoft completely and implement their standards anyway.  It is of critical importance to understand the RIAA/MPAA knows full well that its demands for DRM inside 3rd-party distribution networks are a roadblock to wider consumer participation in the products the RIAA/MPAA are selling. These entities simply do not care at all whether any of their content is workable under digital formats of any kind. The RIAA/MPAA has been brought literally kicking and screaming into the digital age and they *obviously* do not like it one little bit, since it erodes the traditional distribution channels the RIAA/MPAA have controlled utterly for decades.  It would suit them just fine if nobody wanted any of their products in a digital format. These entities represent companies who would be more than happy--and are eager, even--to go back to the analog-only distribution formats and channels of the past.  Ironically, Microsoft's willingness to jump through the DRM hoops these entities mandate actually contravenes the basic thrust of what these entities are after--which is the dissolution of the digital format for the distribution of their products.  In a very real sense, Microsoft has called their bluff and placed these entities in a situation they had hoped to avoid--the mainstreaming of their content via digital distribution. But I fear that irony is lost on many of the respondents here.*) The other "option" that I see obliquely referred to here is the idea that Microsoft should be actively working to subvert the goals of the RIAA/MPAA by openly trying to use Windows as a vehicle to render the DRM mandates of the RIAA/MPAA ineffectual and inconsequential.  IE, that Microsoft should use Windows to hack the DRM policies of the RIAA/MPAA and render them ineffectual.Well, does the word "lawsuit" spring into anyone's mind here? How about "Congressional investigation"...?  I think most of us might agree that it is more than likely that Microsoft has had quite enough of courts and government meddling over the last few years. Such conditions never become palatable.
  2) I liked the DRM acronym: Content, Restriction, Annulment, and Protection. :hmm:3) But mostly I really liked the Schneier's Law: "any person can invent a security system so clever that she or he can't think of how to break it." ;)

#74 OFFLINE   Specmon

Specmon

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:10 PM

Dear Corrine,It is not fair of you to characterize all of we Highlanders taking part in this discussion as Linux Fanatics or even "non-windows supporters".While many of us are using Linux and and expecting our usage of Linux to increase over time, most of us are "still" using Windows on a daily basis, if only because we are supporting other Windows users.I expect to use WinXP until the day it dies, preparing for that day by moving myself and my "users" to Linux.I suspect that I'll even have to bite the bullet and deal with Vista on a machine somewhere, again if only to support people depending on me for expertise.But this doesn't mean that we have to smiling accept the travesty that Vista will perpetrate on us regarding how we can use our machines, and, as you say, as our hardware wears out, gladly spend extra money for hardware that is "built crippled"I was able to thrive as a thinking productive member of our society before Microsoft dominated the field of computing, and as "factors" and other companies (think google) change Microsoft's dominance in the future, I expect to remain standing.

#75 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:17 PM

similarly, i use xp and server 2003 because it is at work.i am truly a linux novice, and cannot imaging convincing corporate to switch out hundreds of users across the country to a new, unfamiliar os and its unfamiliar productivity tools (i did not say dissimilar.)and while i suspect the inevitable immersion in vista is to come in the next few years, it makes me far more nervous than the change from win 3.1 to 95.i am not concerned with what will happen in the corporate environment, server 2007 is about out to match the way vista works (i guess.) but rather fear the end result for the consumer who does not have the deep pockets of industry to fund his computing hobby, a hobby crippled at random by some cracker discovering how to write a codec, a driver, to overcome drm (or whatever) and brother microsoft disabling that hardware for everyone.  that being the case, who can endure?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users