5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

don't know how I missed the story but anyway , here is a somewhat humorous take on it.

http://www.theguardi...trains-too-wide
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#2 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

The US can screw up much better than the French - we have more money.

MARS CLIMATE ORBITER TEAM FINDS LIKELY CAUSE OF LOSS

The peer review preliminary findings indicate that one team used English units (e.g., inches, feet and pounds) while the other used metric units for a key spacecraft operation. This information was critical to the maneuvers required to place the spacecraft in the proper Mars orbit.
:whistling:

Way to go, "scientists".

BTW, whet does "Merde" mean?
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#3 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:51 PM

View PostWebb, on 15 June 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

BTW, whet does "Merde" mean?

Posted Image =   ca-ca

#4 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:04 AM

I knew, I was just shining you. :shifty:
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#5 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

:hysterical:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#6 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

nice stories.
the nasa problem wasted more as it was unrecoverable.
the article about the train was lol-funny! well written.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users