Ah, finally, peace and quiet...

ibe98765

I've been getting creamed lately with spam. Up from an average of 200 per day to over 1200 daily in the last 2 weeks. 98% of the increase was coming from those idiots pushing "University Diplomas".

GET YOUR UNIVERSITY DIPLOMA There are no required tests, classes, books, or interviews! Get a Bachelors, Masters, MBA, and Doctorate (PhD) diploma! Receive the benefits and admiration that comes with a diploma! No one is turned down!  Call Today 1-248-927-0446 (7 days a week)  Confidentiality assured!
It was the same message over and over and over again but with different subjects each time and to different email addresses (anything@mydomain.com). K9 was catching them all but it was annoying. And they keep jumping from provider to provider as they got shutdown. When I got this domain, I thought it was a positive to be able to accept anyname@mydomain.com - but no more! I called the ISP today and found out that I can stop that feature from working, so I now can only get mail directly addressed to 2 specific addresses@mydomain.com. I set that up and now most of the spam is being deleted by the ISP.I don't understand why anyone selling anything would think that bombarding people with thousands of the same email would encourage someone to want to do business with you. The only thing I can image here is that the stupid "University Diplomas" people contracted with a spammer who gets paid on the volume that he sends.

You are lucky.I had it quiet for few days. However this morning, after been gone for more than a week, MyDoom resumed activities. I already got 5 of the emails with the attachment, and it is only 9:30am.

linuxdude32
In the last 12 hours, I've gotten only 1 spam email.  This is wonderful!
That's not because they've turned off all your email, is it, Ibe? :thumbsup: :whistling:

In the last 12 hours, I've gotten only 1 spam email.  This is wonderful!
That's not because they've turned off all your email, is it, Ibe? :angry2: :whistling:
Yeah, I've been posting too much! ;) No, this is seriously good! Here's a comparison of my mail traffic since I had the ISP start dumping aything that didn't go to one of two email addresses (I'm only allowed 2 choices on the plan I have). A pox on all spammers! Now, most of their junk just falls into the virtual bit bucket... :thumbsup: Column 1: Since 5/31/2003 12:00:00 AM (316 days)Column 2: Since 2/24/2004 3:16:20 AM (6 days)Total number of emails processed....................................76,393.......148..............................................................................................242/day..25/dayNumber of Good emails processed.....................................5,836.......132.................................................................................................7.6%....89.2%Number of Spam emails processed..................................70,557..........16...............................................................................................92.4%....10.8%Number of emails re-classified to Good..................................31.............1Number of emails re-classified to Spam................................198............0Percentage emails misidentified as Spam (false positives).......0.0%......0.7%Percentage emails misidentified as Good (false negatives)......0.3%......0.0%Overall accuracy......................................................................99.7%....99.3%

linuxdude32
No, this is seriously good!  Here's a comparison of my mail traffic since I had the ISP start dumping aything that didn't go to one of two email addresses (I'm only allowed 2 choices on the plan I have).
So you got rid of email addresses that were getting most of the spam? Or did you change ISPs?

linuxdude32
Got rid of the email addresses...
I'm not getting near the spam you used to but I'm tempted to change mine too. Especially since I'm using Sneakemail, changing email addresses wouldn't be as big a deal as it would've been in the past. A friend of mine is using Spam Assassin (he administers 10 servers and directs technical support for a popular hobbyist website) and finds it pretty effective.

geez you guys a lucky. My school account gets atleast 200 emails a day. I guess some idiot sold the schools email addresses to someone. I get ads ranging from Diplomas to penis and breast enlargement. I guess the chapelle show that did the skit on spam is right. On a lighter note, I just got a check for 300 dollars for reporting a telemarketer to the state. J :blink:

linuxdude32

I guess my ISP's spam-blocker (they use Brightmail) works not too badly. Today I checked my webmail account and there were 34 messages in my inbox and 18 in my spam folder. And every single one was a spam message! It did miss one message which is either a spam or a trojan - full of foreign characters. Anybody get emails like that?

Guest LilBambi
It did miss one message which is either a spam or a trojan - full of foreign characters. Anybody get emails like that?
Yep, get them all the time.Spam, spam, spam, spam...Junk Mail box! LOL!