35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:08 PM

Greetings all.  I have a few Raspberry Pi's.  I think I've read that a few of you here may also have a Raspi.  I have one that I use to spot planes.  With one of the other Pi's, I'd like to log into it without using WiFi...ethernet cable??  I don't have a real need to be able to do this but it has been puzzling me for over a year.....ok,  puzzling = obsessed.

Raspi owners, what do you do with yours?

I have a few friends in my area that know about Linux but are too scared to mess with it.  I've mentioned a good way to give it a try without hosing their dedicated pc is to play with a Raspberry Pi.

Have a good Thursday evening.

Posted Image
REGISTERED LINUX USER #547579

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,708 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:12 PM

View Postwa4chq, on 29 August 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

Greetings all.  I have a few Raspberry Pi's.  I think I've read that a few of you here may also have a Raspi.  I have one that I use to spot planes.  With one of the other Pi's, I'd like to log into it without using WiFi...ethernet cable??  I don't have a real need to be able to do this but it has been puzzling me for over a year.....ok,  puzzling = obsessed

Just set up ssh on the RPi and ssh into it. Any time that I set up a new Pi, the first thing that I do is install/start ssh, then disconnect the display and remote back into it.

View Postwa4chq, on 29 August 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

have a few friends in my area that know about Linux but are too scared to mess with it.  I've mentioned a good way to give it a try without hosing their dedicated pc is to play with a Raspberry Pi.

I think loading up a usb or dvd with a linux distro will give them a better impression of Linux than running it on a machine with only 1gb of ram.

I edited the post to answer the second part.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

Hey SB...I can SSH into pi from my lappy when I'm using wifi.  Are you saying I can still SSH to Pi without wifi?

...forgot to thank you for the speedy reply :teehee:

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,708 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

View Postwa4chq, on 29 August 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

Hey SB...I can SSH into pi from my lappy when I'm using wifi.  Are you saying I can still SSH to Pi without wifi?

Of course not, it needs a network connection to be able to reach it ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

Right....I want to be able to connect to when I don't have internet....maybe using an ethernet cable????......I have no problems SSHing to it when using wifi....

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:18 PM

Yes, a Live Disk or USB would be better....

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,708 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:18 PM

View Postwa4chq, on 29 August 2019 - 06:16 PM, said:

Right....I want to be able to connect to when I don't have internet....maybe using an ethernet cable????......I have no problems SSHing to it when using wifi....

How to Directly Connect to a Raspberry Pi Without Internet
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:24 PM

tnx for the link....I've seen that before.  But it mentions Bon Jour and Apple/Windows......I have neither....

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,708 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:27 PM

View Postwa4chq, on 29 August 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

tnx for t

The link....I've seen that before.  But it mentions Bon Jour and Apple/Windows......I have neither....

Ah ok, I didn't read through it. I can find you another one.

BTW Avahi can be used for bonjour protocol support under linux.

https://stackoverflo...-without-router

Those are instructions for Ubuntu
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

Tnx SB....will take a look at it later.  Am over my folks making dinner for them.....

Later...

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,708 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

View Postwa4chq, on 29 August 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

Tnx SB....will take a look at it later.  Am over my folks making dinner for them.....

Later...

Great, enjoy the food and company :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:40 PM

Tnx....

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:52 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 29 August 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

View Postwa4chq, on 29 August 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

tnx for t

The link....I've seen that before.  But it mentions Bon Jour and Apple/Windows......I have neither....

Ah ok, I didn't read through it. I can find you another one.

BTW Avahi can be used for bonjour protocol support under linux.

https://stackoverflo...-without-router

Those are instructions for Ubuntu

SB...This link looks promising.  In fact, reading the comments show other possible solutions.  I'm going have a better look and try some of the suggestions when I'm at the library later today.  Tnx.

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

I need to give this Pi stuff up....and just settle for plane spotting....  I was all set to do some serious Pi stuff at the local public library.  To start the day off, I realized I forgot my ethernet cable.  So I stopped off at Ollies (store with overstocked items) and bought a 25ft one for $3.50.  After a few more stops, I headed to the library.  I had an extra micro SD card and did a fresh install of Raspbian Buster-Lite and setup for headless mode.  For the life of me I could not find Pi (scanning with Fing as an app on my phone).  I would love to know how much time over the past few years I've wasted playing with Raspberry Pi....lol >_< :alien: .

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,708 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

I am confused... why would fing show your pi??? Try looking on your router or connect a display to the Pi to get the IP address.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:43 PM

The whole point of going headless is,  I may not have a hdmi cable or display handi or spare keyboard.  And I normally don't set Pi up with a static IP.  So after booting, I use Fing to show the router I'm connected to and the users along with their IP addresses.  If I didn't make a typo setting up the headless Pi, I see it along with the other devices.  I read about the app Fing a few years ago.  Seems to work for me.  Are we talking about the same Fing?

Edited by wa4chq, 30 August 2019 - 04:47 PM.

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:49 PM

https://www.fing.com...ducts/fing-app/

Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,708 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:36 PM

I know what fing is. You must connect to the internet before you can see the device.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,708 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:41 PM

So how do you plan on connecting back to it if you don't know the IP address and SSH is not running

I've always set up the Pi with a screen, then got the IP address and started ssh. Then unplug the video and ssh into the Pi.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:09 AM

https://www.raspberr...ess/headless.md

Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

I normally don't have a problem doing this.  I read that sd cards could be an issue if they are old or generic brands etc.  I could have made a typo when writing "ssh" or the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file.  It's not connecting to library server.  It connected fine when I was using the internet at my folks.  When I got to the library yesterday, I did a fresh buster-lite install to another sd card because editing /etc/wpa-supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf on the  sd card I used the day before yesterday...the one working with my folks wifi, didn't work.

Edited by wa4chq, 31 August 2019 - 08:28 AM.

Posted Image

#22 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,708 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:17 AM

View Postwa4chq, on 31 August 2019 - 08:09 AM, said:

I guess you could do it that way too but you would still have to go back and change the ssh port, default password, etc. Like I mentioned before, I always just set up ssh and then detach the screen after it's securely set up.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

Understand, but the point of doing like what I do (when it works... ;) ) is because I might not have access to a display for setting it up.

Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

OK....Over at my folks visiting.  Plugged in Pi and using Fing, I see "raspberrypi" and I'm logged in now.  So there is something like a typo or could it be something to do with security at the library?  Checking for typos now....

Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,708 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:53 PM

Cool :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users