Palm Pilot (m500) won't HotSync

GolfProRM

I don't know if anyone here has much experience with Palms, but thought I'd give it a shot.I've got a Palm m125, which I USB sync to my WindowsXPPro machine and my work WinME machine just fine... I just bought my dad's Palm m500, and I can't for the life of me get it to sync to WinXP. It works just fine on my ME machine at work, but for some reason it won't work at home. The HotSync program does recognize the Palm, but when I click the Sync button, it just gives me an error beep. I can plug my m125 back into the cradle and Sync right, up. I tried completely uninstalling the Palm Desktop (including removiing the Profile files). I tried removiing all my USB drivers and reinstalling them, but for some reason it just won't work.I've been trying to search Palm's knowledge base, but half their support links don't work... (esp. the ones I need).Anyone else run into problems like this?Edit - DOH! Thought I posted this in the Q&A forum... could somebody move it?

nlinecomputers

What does the sync error log say? Did you load the drivers and software from the old palm or are you using the software for the new one? Do they use the same craddle? If not are you unplugging the old cradle before you try to sync. And are you shutting down hotsync and restarting it so that it sees the new craddle and not the old one.Nathan WilliamsN-Line Computers

What does the sync error log say?  Did you load the drivers and software from the old palm or are you using the software for the new one?  Do they use the same craddle? If not are you unplugging the old cradle before you try to sync.  And are you shutting down hotsync and restarting it so that it sees the new craddle and not the old one.Nathan WilliamsN-Line Computers
There's nothing in the error log... it's not even initializing the Sync... I don't have the CD for the new one, but downloaded the latest software from the website... After COMPLETELY removing everything Palm on my PC, and then reinstalling the new software, it still didn't work. Both Palms use the same cradle... and I've tried both cradles... I'm using my old cradle at work right now and it works just fine... I tried it at home and it didn't...I found one article that I'm going to try at lunch http://www.computing.net/pda/wwwboard/forum/336.htmldon't know if it'll work or not, but I'll give it a try and report back.

A ha! Thanks to that website I found, I was able to get the darn thing to HotSync.I had to download the USB drivers from Palm's website (of course they don't make them easy to find), and then get it so it found the Palm device in my device manager, then had it update the driver to what was on the website...Here's the info that I pulled from the above link.

If you are using Windows 98, the USB drivers can be found on the diskthat comes with the PalmConnect USB kit. For Windows Millennium(Windows ME) and Windows 2000, it is best to download the USB driversfrom our Web site at the following URL:http://www.palm.com/support/accessories/us...sb/palmusb.htmlThe USB driver downloads, installation, and uninstallation informationis available at this URL as well. We suggest you print theinstructions, and follow them exactly when downloading and installingUSB drivers from our Web site.
Hallelujah! I can now get everything the way I want... :lol: :) :)