44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:48 AM

interesting article by the ever insightful mike elgan:

"Say goodbye to the unmediated world of RSS, email and manual Web surfing. It was nice while it lasted. But there's just no money in it."

read why, here:
http://www.computerw...lace-gmail.html
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,709 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, I have been using inbox instead of gmail since this article came out in October. Everything just works better IMO.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

Oh, sure, just what I want:  my email provider searching the content of my messages and adding augmenting my inbox with additional information.  No thank you.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#4 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

Yo! moved to inbox.com early last year . You know it,s run by spooks.. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
Linux counter no . 393441

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

This new Inbox baloney is just another way for Google to snarf your data and focus ads at you.

View PostCapt.Crow, on 15 April 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

Yo! moved to inbox.com early last year . You know it,s run by spooks.. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

They're not talking about the email provider Inbox.com. They're talking about Google's new Inbox app. I use Inbox.com, actually. Spooks have access to everything. So what?

I wonder if there's going to be some lawsuit activity by Inbox.com over Google's new thing.

#6 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:25 PM

Google is getting a lot worse that microsoft ever was .
The way these IT companies are run smacks of a pyramid scam .. The bigger they get the more folks are hurt in the fall.
Linux counter no . 393441

#7 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

What prompted bringing this up now? This was from last October. It was even discussed here when it originally came out.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#8 OFFLINE   Robert

Robert

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:21 PM

If this keeps up I'll just install my own email server. :pirate:

I get most of the spam during the night so that would be a good time to power down.

#9 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:51 PM

What prompted bringing this up now?
I assume Temmu was catching up on past articles.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,709 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:31 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 15 April 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

This new Inbox baloney is just another way for Google to snarf your data and focus ads at you.

They're not talking about the email provider Inbox.com. They're talking about Google's new Inbox app. I use Inbox.com, actually. Spooks have access to everything. So what?

I wonder if there's going to be some lawsuit activity by Inbox.com over Google's new thing.

Well it is technically https://inbox.google.com/
Posted ImagePosted Image

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#11 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,709 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:33 PM

Nothing at all is private anymore so it doesn't matter what email provider, browser you use, operating system, isp, etc. Everything that is online is being scanned for keywords. I have always treated anything online as completely public and it turns out I was right. Whether it is email you sent, the picture you posted or that doc you synced to your online account, it is all being recorded. Privacy is an illusion, nothing more. Orwell had no clue as to how bad things would get. The novel 1984 is like a disney story compared to our present situation.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:56 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 15 April 2015 - 10:31 PM, said:

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 15 April 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

Well it is technically https://inbox.google.com/

Yer link takes me to the normal GMail sign in page ??  :fish:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,709 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 16 April 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

You need an invite.. If you want one, just let me know
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 16 April 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Ta for the offer. I just read a few articles on it and it seems like a nightmare. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#15 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,709 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:47 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 16 April 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

View Postsecuritybreach, on 16 April 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Ta for the offer. I just read a few articles on it and it seems like a nightmare. :breakfast:

Actually, IMO, it is 150% better than gmail ever was and I have been using it since October. It is a litte different than gmail so it takes a little getting used to, but it is way better and more productive than gmail.

That and they are doing away with gmail and inbox is their future.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:53 AM

Glad you are happy. The screen shots I have seen look a real confusing mess. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#17 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,709 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:57 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 16 April 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

Glad you are happy. The screen shots I have seen look a real confusing mess. :breakfast:

It would look that way if your used to gmail but trust me, it is much better. That and it is the replacement for gmail so it's just a matter of time.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

From the https://support.goog...te_request&rd=1 it appears it can only be set up first with Android or iPhone/iPad:

Here's how to start using Inbox after you receive your invitation email:

Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

#19 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,709 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:28 AM

View PostCorrine, on 16 April 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

From the https://support.goog...te_request&rd=1 it appears it can only be set up first with Android or iPhone/iPad:

That's not true

I didn't install the inbox app until after I used it for awhile on the desktop

I wonder why it says that.

Ah ok, you need chrome to start using it on the desktop. After you enable it, you can use it on any browser or device:

http://www.makeuseof...eath-fresh-air/
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,709 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:38 AM

I wonder why the google link you provided doesn't mention that part?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,709 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:44 AM

Ok, I was wrong.. I just invited one of my other accounts:

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,709 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:48 AM

I have 9 more invites if anyone needs/wants one.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:10 PM

Don't have an Android or i-anything nor will I use Chrome so if Google switches completely to Inbox, I'll merely say good bye to that backup addy.
Posted Image

#24 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,709 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:20 PM

They will... I am surprised that you do not have a smartphone..
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

I do have a smartphone. :)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users