• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

as someone said, if the u.s. feds can shut down megadeathload, why do we need acta, sopa, pipa, et al?
Posted Image

#52 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

And on top of that, it was supposedly done using the proper channels of the law.

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#53 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,785 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

A reply I received from my U.S. Senator here in Florida regarding this topic:

Dear Mr. Layton,

Thank you for contacting me regarding Internet piracy legislation. I would like to take this opportunity to address your concerns on this important issue.

As you may be aware, on May 12, 2011, Senator Patrick Leahy (VT) introduced the Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act of 2011 (PROTECT IP/ PIPA, S. 968), which is meant to curb the online theft of intellectual property, much of which is occurring through rogue websites overseas in China. As a senator from Florida, a state with a large presence of artists, creators and businesses connected to the creation of intellectual property, I have a strong interest in stopping online piracy that costs Florida jobs. It was with this in mind that I was previously a co-sponsor of the PROTECT IP Act. I believe it's important to protect American ingenuity, ideas and jobs from being stolen through Internet piracy. However, we must do this while simultaneously promoting an open, dynamic Internet environment that is ripe for innovation and can promote new technologies.

Last summer, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the bill unanimously and without controversy. Since then, I've heard from a number of Floridians who have raised legitimate concerns about the impact this bill could have on Internet access, as well as a potentially unreasonable expansion of the federal government's authority to impact the Internet. Congress should listen and avoid rushing through a bill that could have many unintended consequences.

Therefore, I have decided to withdraw my support for the PROTECT IP Act. Furthermore, I have encouraged Majority Reid to abandon his plan to rush the bill to the floor. Instead, we should take more time to address the concerns raised by all sides, and come up with new legislation that addresses Internet piracy while protecting free and open access to the Internet. Please know that I will remain mindful of your concerns should this, or similar legislation, such as the Stop Online Privacy Act (SOPA, H.R. 3261), come before the Senate for consideration.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. It is an honor and privilege to serve the people of Florida. If I can be of any further help to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
United States Senator

#54 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

Shame we don't have more like that ... ones that at least understand some of the unintended consequences.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#55 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 23 2012, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Off topic slightly, but not much...

I read somewhere yesterday that the U.S. is now planning on using drone devices to monitor illegal aliens, drug runners, and illegal grow farms. Hmm? What's it going to be next for the growing Police State. Reminds me of Belltower and the other private mercenary police forces in Deus Ex HR. sad.gif

Planning? Nope, they're already doing it. Furthermore, drones have recently been used in the arrest of a farming family- I think this happened in North Dakota, maybe? Anyway, a drone yielded info sufficient to arrest the family, which had put up some armed resistance up to that point. The dispute involved a cow or steer that had wandered onto their property. They tried to keep it. 'Hilarity' ensued. Chilling stuff happening these days. As Michael Moore said. "what have you done with my country, dude?" The same crap continues under Obama.

Grudging respect to Anonymous. Yes, it takes a bulldozer to raze a whole village... whistling.gif

Edited by Cluttermagnet, 25 January 2012 - 10:43 AM.

Special Limited Edition Cluttermaster 2007 with direct air cooling system.
"ClutterLabs" --open hardware for open software" .......... Registered Linux User 446867

("It takes an entire village to raise a child...")
"It takes only one bulldozer to raze an entire village..."
"Hey, Fred- isn't that your kid driving that bulldozer?"

In loving memory of Bruno Knaapen of Amsterdam, who shared
his love of Linux, and thereby made the world a better place...

#56 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,707 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (Cluttermagnet @ Jan 25 2012, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Planning? Nope, they're already doing it. Furthermore, drones have recently been used in the arrest of a farming family- I think this happened in North Dakota, maybe? Anyway, a drone yielded info sufficient to arrest the family, which had put up some armed resistance up to that point. The dispute involved a cow or steer that had wandered onto their property. They tried to keep it. 'Hilarity' ensued. Chilling stuff happening these days. As Michael Moore said. "what have you done with my country, dude?" The same crap continues under Obama.

Grudging respect to Anonymous. Yes, it takes a bulldozer to raze a whole village... whistling.gif

I remember that one

Kudos to your last statement thumbup.gif  ph34r.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#57 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,785 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (LilBambi @ Jan 24 2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shame we don't have more like that ... ones that at least understand some of the unintended consequences.

Sadly, I'm so jaded on politics that I figure he's against SOPA/PIPA only because someone lined his pockets to be against them. I have a terrible time believing that there is even one slender moral fiber in any politician these days. For the first time since my dope-smokin' apathetic youth, I'm seriously considering not even wasting my time participating in the political process (voting) anymore. Sad, huh?

#58 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 23 2012, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Off topic slightly, but not much...

I read somewhere yesterday that the U.S. is now planning on using drone devices to monitor illegal aliens, drug runners, and illegal grow farms. Hmm? What's it going to be next for the growing Police State. Reminds me of Belltower and the other private mercenary police forces in Deus Ex HR. sad.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10664362

The Zephyr flight is the second event of note this year in solar-powered aviation. Earlier this month, Andre Borschberg became the first person to pilot a manned solar plane through the night.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-20016657-76.html

Boeing has won an $89 million government contract to build and fly an unmanned solar-powered plane that can--eventually--stay aloft continuously for up to five years. Yes, that's five years.

The defense contractor will develop the SolarEagle aircraft for the Vulture II program run by the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, better known as DARPA. Scheduled to get off the ground for its first demo flight in 2014, the plane will likely serve as an electronic sensor and military communications platform. But it could eventually turn into a less expensive alternative to communications and reconnaissance satellites.

cool.gif
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#59 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:44 AM

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111221/...se-did-it.shtml

Now, of course, it's possible some other vendor was using them, but this seems rather ironic, coming from the RIAA, who has insisted for years that IP addresses are sufficient to accurately determine who is responsible for infringement. Apparently it works for everyone... but the RIAA.

When your playing for the big boys team you just move the gateposts to suit.   whistling.gif

Edited by abarbarian, 26 January 2012 - 07:49 AM.

Install ARCH

#60 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 25 2012, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sadly, I'm so jaded on politics that I figure he's against SOPA/PIPA only because someone lined his pockets to be against them. I have a terrible time believing that there is even one slender moral fiber in any politician these days.

Usually I try to be optimistic.  And I also like to give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to such matters.  But on this matter, I have to agree 100% - I also have become jaded to the politics and the greedy b*st*rds. uh.. ok senators. whatever it is they're pretending to be.

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 25 2012, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm seriously considering not even wasting my time participating in the political process (voting) anymore. Sad, huh?

It's not sad.  It's called saving your breath.  It's like trying to decide between the lesser of two evils.   I'm so P.O'd with both the democrats & republicans (especially the latter) that I don't see how voting actually matters anymore.  Classic case in point.  Bush (dubya) stole the election in 2001.  By all accounts, Al Gore had more votes and it was probably one of the most corrupt/evil acts in American history to see that election process/& post election process botched.  Why bother voting.  To think one actually wields any power by participating in the democratic voting process is merely an illusion.  In this day & age, if a party really wants it bad enough, they can rig the system in their favour and justify it away.  hanging chads?  Nope - doesn't count.  Absentee ballots from our military service members?  Nope - they didn't count either in 2001.

Edited by Tushman, 27 January 2012 - 03:07 AM.

#61 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,785 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

I think this country needs a hard reboot. sad.gif

Back on topic, sort of...

I saw this in my paper this morning. I LOVE IT!

Polandís politicians don Anonymous-style Guy Fawkes masks in anti-piracy protest

#62 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Excellent!  thumbsup.gif
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#63 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 27 2012, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen to that!
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#64 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

Amen to that from this quarter too!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#65 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Poland halts copyeight laws after mass protests

WARSAW, Poland (AP) -- Poland's prime minister says he is suspending the ratification process for an international copyright treaty after widespread protests and attacks on government websites.

Poland is the only country that has seen major opposition to the treaty. Opponents say it will restrict Internet free speech and allow online surveillance.

Democracy is all about people power.

If folk get of their butts and protest hard enough the politicians have to at least listen and may even do as the people demand.  pirate.gif
Install ARCH

#66 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

Hope the EU conglomerate doesn't put pressure on them...
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#67 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,707 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Jan 27 2012, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely concur  thumbsup.gif  ph34r.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#68 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

A boot to the head?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VD4JXUozM

biggrin.gif

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#69 OFFLINE   Tushman

Tushman

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (abarbarian @ Feb 4 2012, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Democracy is all about people power.

If folk get of their butts and protest hard enough the politicians have to at least listen and may even do as the people demand.  pirate.gif

For once, I actually agree with you! The world has witnessed such movements recently - Egypt & Libya are some prime examples.

Sadly in this country - most of the mass have been trained to be dumb fat & happy.  Just look at the generation of today.  Most of the kids I see are spending hours fixated on facebook or have their heads buried in their smartphone typing w/ their thumb.  They could care less of what is going on in the world around them or even their own country.

#70 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Tushman @ Feb 5 2012, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For once, I actually agree with you! The world has witnessed such movements recently - Egypt & Libya are some prime examples.

Blimey  w00t.gif someone agrees with me, must be the weather  hysterical.gif

The break up of the USSR is another example of people power.  cool.gif
Install ARCH

#71 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,785 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

The U.S.S.R. is no more? sad.gif When did that happen, comrade?

#72 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Feb 5 2012, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The U.S.S.R. is no more? sad.gif When did that happen, comrade?

When the weather got so bad that they could not transport dissents to the Siberian gulags.  whistling.gif
Install ARCH

#73 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,785 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

With global warming these days, I hear that Siberia is getting downright tropical. wink.gif

#74 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (V.T. Eric Layton @ Feb 6 2012, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With global warming these days, I hear that Siberia is getting downright tropical. wink.gif

You must be thinking of this Siberia Siberia  cool.gif
Install ARCH

#75 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,785 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

HA!