Jump to content


Going back to 1.0.7


  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Grasshopper

Grasshopper

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:12 PM

FF 1.5 has gotten mixed reviews and I've had some problems with it, so I'm gonna revert back to 1.0.7...it wasn't broke so I shouldn't have fixed it. Security updates aside, I will be better off with the older version, until they get some things ironed out. (This update was almost Microsoftish... :D ) And please, no bickering about going back to the older version... :w00t: Now, I don't mind reinstalling my extensions from scratch, in fact I want to in order to have that clean slate feeling, BUT, I would like to keep my bookmarks, history and cookies with all my passwords to forum websites and other password protected sites that were saved in my FF. I know where to find my bookmarks.Is there a way that I can save just those other items and transfer them to my clean install of 1.0.7? Running Windows XP.
A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown

#2 OFFLINE   Grasshopper

Grasshopper

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:00 AM

Found my answer here.
A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown

#3 OFFLINE   Grasshopper

Grasshopper

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:35 AM

But, turns out it didn't work out right.That's ok...I can find all my passwords...eventually. LOL!
A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown

#4 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

    Forum Fiend

  • No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:54 AM

What problems were you having with Firfox 1.5? FWIW there is an extension that is called Bookmark Backup 3.3 that saves your history,forms,passwords and of course bookmarks.

#5 OFFLINE   Grasshopper

Grasshopper

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:41 AM

I may look into that extension.Well, I've read that you, Gary, haven't had any problems, but I have. And they are pretty consistent with some of the things you may have read. Extension compatibility upon upgrade was the worst, by far, I've seen in any version since I jumped on the wagon at about version 0.3. I know it was a big leap but I don't have time to go chasing some of these things down, and like I said, it wasn't broke, so I shouldn't have fixed it. Also, I've noticed the memory issue on my machine, although it's not as bad as some have reported. I've also had a few crashes and just some other general quirks that I didn't like or couldn't find fixes for. Don't get me wrong. I'm sold on FF. I only use IE when I have to and I've never tried Opera (although I may give it a whirl for S&G's). But I'll wait with 1.0.7 'til the team gets 1.5 a bit more polished and the extension makers catch up.
A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown

#6 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

    Forum Fiend

  • No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:17 AM

View Posttbird, on Dec 14 2005, 07:41 AM, said:

I may look into that extension.Well, I've read that you, Gary, haven't had any problems, but I have. And they are pretty consistent with some of the things you may have read. Extension compatibility upon upgrade was the worst, by far, I've seen in any version since I jumped on the wagon at about version 0.3. I know it was a big leap but I don't have time to go chasing some of these things down, and like I said, it wasn't broke, so I shouldn't have fixed it. Also, I've noticed the memory issue on my machine, although it's not as bad as some have reported. I've also had a few crashes and just some other general quirks that I didn't like or couldn't find fixes for. Don't get me wrong. I'm sold on FF. I only use IE when I have to and I've never tried Opera (although I may give it a whirl for S&G's). But I'll wait with 1.0.7 'til the team gets 1.5 a bit more polished and the extension makers catch up.
Extensions that are NOT compaitble can cause problems. Wait untill the next upgrade , it will be in about 4-6 weeks. Then just install the extensions that you really need. I like to tinker with them. I install and remove extensions all of the time. I probably only really need about 5 of them. Some extensions will also eat up memory. I have 1 gig so That is not a real issue for me. Good luck. I also have fooled around with a Browser called Flock-a Firefox clone-sort of.

#7 OFFLINE   crp

crp

    Discussion Deity

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:27 PM

I could not even get 1.5 to install. The process crashes and pops up a message about not being able to do anything with en-US and then just hangs.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#8 OFFLINE   striker

striker

    handyman

  • Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:18 AM

I was actually thinkin' too of going back to good old 1.0.7 .I had initially trouble setting up 1.5, then the extensions saga and yesterday a full hickup of the 1.5.  :D And to me personally it just don't feels like the 1.0.7 , dunno what exactly it is but something in there is acting like sanding paper. BTW : the "Clear Private Data", well I have my doubts it works : after using this option this data is all over the place, so - at least in the Opera browser it really works.  :hysterical:
Striker
still the same...

#9 OFFLINE   jmatt

jmatt

    Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:42 AM

View Postcrp, on Dec 14 2005, 02:27 PM, said:

I could not even get 1.5 to install. The process crashes and pops up a message about not being able to do anything with en-US and then just hangs.
Here is how to easily install a new browser.1. Always make sure it installs in a New folder.2. If installing an updated version, open Windows Explorer & find the current version folder ( example > Windows Explorer > Program Files > Mozilla Firefox )Rename that folder ( yellow ) by right clicking on it, to > Mozilla Firefoxold ( ignore the warning message )Now install the new version, nothing else needs to be done.Don't like the new version, right click on the folder Mozilla Firefox & Delete. Go to Mozilla Firefoxold & rename to Mozilla Firefox.One proviso to my info, if you have a bad install or it is not behaving as it should, before you install a new version, uninstall the old version via the uninstaller & make sure all remnants( via Search, Find & your registry cleaners ) are gone.===============================================Nightly Tester Toolshttp://www.all4you.d...page=60&cat=012http://users.bluepri...id/nightly.htmlThis extension adds a few extras useful to those that regularly testnightly builds of Firefox, Thunderbird and the Application Suite.This extension now works on branch builds of Firefox and Thunderbird.Features:    * Allows you to install incompatible extensions (experimental).    * Allows you to force the application to believe an extension iscompatible with the current version and enable it. (Only works onrecent builds of Firefox and Thunderbird, branch and trunk since20/08/2005).    * Adds a menu item to let you to copy the build identifier to theclipboard.    * Adds a menu item to let you insert the build identifier into thecurrent text box.    * Adds a toolbar button to let you insert the build identifier intothe current text box (Not supported in the Application Suite).    * Provides an easy way to launch talkback.    * Lets you customise the title bar to include the build identifierand other information.

#10 OFFLINE   Grasshopper

Grasshopper

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:15 AM

View Poststriker, on Dec 15 2005, 02:18 AM, said:

And to me personally it just don't feels like the 1.0.7 , dunno what exactly it is but something in there is acting like sanding paper.
  Exactly what I was thinking.
A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown

#11 OFFLINE   cybernut

cybernut

    Message Adept

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:21 AM

I too downloaded and installed Firefox 1.5 and quickly decided to return to 1.0.7.In part, my decision was influenced by the extension situation.  I had ten extensionsinstalled, and FF 1.5 claimed that only three of them could be upgraded: Dom Inspector(which I haven't used much), IE View, and OperaView.  The others: Powermarks, ChromEdit, ContentSaver, ColorZilla, Paste and Go, Cookie Culler, and TinyUrl Creator.I knew that I could get a 1.5 extension for ContentSaver, and I've just learned that there's aPowermarks beta for 1.5, but I don't want to give up ANY of the others.  (I've also put backAdBlock and Flashblock, and I understand that some people are having trouble with AdBlockon 1.5.)  So...for now, I'm sticking with 1.0.7, which works really well and works with all my extensions.

#12 OFFLINE   Rons

Rons

    Forum Fiend

  • Forum MVP
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:55 AM

Hmmmm.........sorry to hear of the problems so many are having wih the latest FF release. Gary and I must be blessed or something. B)  It's been working fine for me on 3 machines. Knock on wood!  :o

#13 OFFLINE   patio

patio

    Thread Head

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:15 AM

I've had no hiccups at all. The extensions i had that weren't updated i removed and re-installed with MR Tech, checked the compatibility box and they run fine.

#14 OFFLINE   Keegan

Keegan

    Post Master

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:27 AM

View Postcybernut, on Dec 16 2005, 12:21 AM, said:

I too downloaded and installed Firefox 1.5 and quickly decided to return to 1.0.7.In part, my decision was influenced by the extension situation.  I had ten extensionsinstalled, and FF 1.5 claimed that only three of them could be upgraded: Dom Inspector(which I haven't used much), IE View, and OperaView.  The others: Powermarks, ChromEdit, ContentSaver, ColorZilla, Paste and Go, Cookie Culler, and TinyUrl Creator.I knew that I could get a 1.5 extension for ContentSaver, and I've just learned that there's aPowermarks beta for 1.5, but I don't want to give up ANY of the others.  (I've also put backAdBlock and Flashblock, and I understand that some people are having trouble with AdBlockon 1.5.)  So...for now, I'm sticking with 1.0.7, which works really well and works with all my extensions.
No problem here with ColorZilla and Adblock Plus on 1.5

#15 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

    Forum Fiend

  • No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:23 AM

Those that are having problems can file a bug report with Mozilla.

#16 OFFLINE   Grasshopper

Grasshopper

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:48 AM

View PostGary, on Dec 16 2005, 06:23 AM, said:

Those that are having problems can file a bug report with Mozilla.
  ...and roll back to 1.0.7.
A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown

#17 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

    It's me, plodr

  • Forum MVP
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:52 AM

cybernut, I am using Cookie Culler on 1.5. (I did download a fresh copy).Before I installed 1.5, I removed all my themes and extensions so I wouldn't have a major slowdown while everything checked for updates and them informs me that things don't work.I have 1.5 installed on 98SE, ME and 2K and haven't noticed problems. Of course, I use only 1 theme,Walnut and I have about 9 extensions installed. My main computer also has 1 gig of RAM. I'll spend more time on the "leaner" computers to see if I notice problems.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

    Discussion Deity

  • Forum MVP
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:49 PM

I just counted and saw that I have 19 extensions plus 6 disabled because they are not compatible with FF 1.5. I have been using it something like 3 hours a day ( it is on my wife's Win XP machine which I use mostly late in the evening ) and I haven't had a problem yet. There has not been a site that I couldn't reach and I am sure it is just a matter of time before all the extensions can work. I too feel sorry for those having problems. Just wanted to let you know that it does work for some of us. I did install on top of itself btw and they say that from now on we won't have to download a new version and reinstall anymore, just upgrade.Good luck everyone. Love you all!

Edited by réjean, 17 December 2005 - 09:51 PM.

registered linux user #374889

#19 OFFLINE   littlebone

littlebone

    Thread Head

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:13 PM

Sigh...After a week of abrupt program terminations, I had to give up on 1.5 and go back to 1.0.7 also. It took a little time, but I was able to restore most of what I wanted. I'm happy to again have Spoofstick, which had no 1.5 version.As noted here, it may have been an extension causing the problem, but I like my extensions.

#20 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

    Forum Fiend

  • No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:02 PM

View Postlittlebone, on Dec 18 2005, 11:13 AM, said:

Sigh...After a week of abrupt program terminations, I had to give up on 1.5 and go back to 1.0.7 also. It took a little time, but I was able to restore most of what I wanted. I'm happy to again have Spoofstick, which had no 1.5 version.As noted here, it may have been an extension causing the problem, but I like my extensions.
I have 32 extensions and they all are compatible. There is another extension that performs the same functions as spoofstick. Mozilla is not to blame if the coder of an extension does not update it. What programs were terminating on you?

#21 OFFLINE   littlebone

littlebone

    Thread Head

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:08 AM

View PostGary, on Dec 18 2005, 09:02 AM, said:

I have 32 extensions and they all are compatible. There is another extension that performs the same functions as spoofstick. Mozilla is not to blame if the coder of an extension does not update it. What programs were terminating on you?
I agree that Mozilla is not to blame. There was no blame intended. But since you are using 32 extensions, you must agree that there is functionality you are lacking in the base product that you want. I also want some extensions and if they cause problems under 1.5 and not under 1.0.7, then 1.0.7 it has to be for a while.

#22 OFFLINE   patio

patio

    Thread Head

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:11 PM

Extensions i don't believe have anything to do with base functionality...extensions are a customisation of what you want to do with the browser.I run a clean ver. of portable FFox on my thumb drive and i don't find it lacking at all.

#23 OFFLINE   Neil P

Neil P

    Resident Pyromaniac

  • Forum Moderators
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:01 PM

Google has a new safe browsing extension for Firefox, it's very slick.

#24 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

    Forum Fiend

  • No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:50 PM

View Poststeeler_fan, on Dec 19 2005, 02:01 PM, said:

Google has a new safe browsing extension for Firefox, it's very slick.
Read the EULA or aggreement. I don't want Google to know every site I visit.

#25 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

    It's me, plodr

  • Forum MVP
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:00 PM

I'm probably one of a handful of people that refuses to have a gmail account. I also don't install any google toolbars and my google cookies as to my preferences are deleted when I start FF fresh each time. Call me paranoid but I don't want google to have a profile on my surfing and email habits.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users