Netscape Browser 8.0

ross549

reread it? why I was referring to 8.0 having to release 8.0.1 cause of all the bugs

Netscape has released a security update to its Netscape 8.0 browser, fixing more than 40 security holes just hours after the browser's official launch
Source - Happy Reading Edited by havnblast

well I downloaded it, not to bad actually. I like the ability to switch engines, this could really come in handy especially at work when I need to connect to the asp pages.

Extensions, by their very nature of being independently created, aren't always tested as completely as everyone would like. You can't blame the browser if someone else's code causes it to crash. Well, you can, but it's not fair. :)

I didn't load any extensions, just went to options and clicked on the get more extensions link.Every once in a while when I click on a link all of a sudden 4 more tabs open up with the netscape weather also.This thing is very unstable for me

After using this thing for a day i have 2 say i am mighty impressed B) some things i like with it:-better install part than firefox-this thing is ready for tabbed browsing out of the box, unlike firefox no need 2 mess with about:config, alot of options for tweaking tabbed browsing, it have focus on last selected tab inbuilt, same with x for closing on each tab-a great passcard feature, you can here edit stored password, and if you have say a gmail acount this baby logs in for u automatically, same with yahoo and so on-it rates every page you are on, this is great for security-if a page doesn't open in firefox mode, change it 2 ie and it opens-it is rock solid, no crash yetthings i am not so sure of:-the new theme, but if you don't like it just change it, i am using winscape and then it looks pretty much the same way as firefox-it is us centric so all the news ticks and so on are of no use for euro people, baseball what is that?-it does work out of the box with firefox extensions, so no adblock :) So don't belive the the pro firefox hype, try it for yourselt, and remember this is firefox, with some extra bells only, so it is not bloated unless you think firefox is bloatedbut i really miss my adblock so firefox is still the king :ermm:

Edited by Keegan

when u did the install did you have it import the firefox bookmarks?I'm thinking of uninstalling it and reinstalling it but without importing anything, cuase it is really unstable for me. I like the idea of the two engines.I take it the firefox extensions will not work with netscape?

well no luck here at work either - fresh install and didn't import anything. browser starts up, it randomly opens the 4-5 tabs of netscape weather and crashes.weird how it just randomly opens up 4-5 tabs of the netscape weather page. both machines so far are Windows XP with the theme that looks like firefox default install.it's also not working with the .asp pages here at work - neither engine works right.

James M. Fisher

I wonder what's causing that Kelly? Clicking on Tools>Extensions> "Get more extensions" opens a new window (not tab) for me, but that's it. I imported FF bookmarks at setup too.

when u did the install did you have it import the firefox bookmarks?I'm thinking of uninstalling it and reinstalling it but without importing anything, cuase it is really unstable for me.  I like the idea of the two engines.I take it the firefox extensions will not work with netscape?

yes it imported pretty much everything:bookmarkscookiessaved passwordshistoryi read somewhere to get extensions to work one would have to edit them manually, i am going to try with adblockmaybe you should try to remove the weather thing on the personal toolbarremove your profile 2

some coments from Blake Ross about netscape 8 i think he is missing the boat on this, but that is just my opinionhttp://blakeross.com/index.php?p=72found my first bug:i can not close the options window with "ok" i have to press "cancel"on other thing it would be cool it one could tell the browser only 2 use firefox mode unless I chose otherwise, but I can't find any option for thisanother thing i found out, netscape uses more memoryfirefox about 30 mbnetscape about 50mb

Edited by Keegan

I think I'll just uninstall it and forget about it. I opened it up again and within a minute I had 8 tabs of netscape weather open up and if it can't do asp with the IE engine, it is useless to me.

I have been using the Beta version, and now have installed the new version. I like it, and I think that I like the tabbed browsing feature better than Firefox. I did not download any extensions unless Weather is an extension.No trouble downloading, installing, or using.Jerry

well I just clicked on get more extensions and 5 tabs opened up and it crashed, typical netscape
the same thing happened to me .also where do you get the linux version all i can find is windows version . i would like to try it in linux as well

the same thing happened to me .also where do you get the linux version all i can find is windows version . i would like to try it in linux as well

It's Windows only, at least for now. I don't know if they even plan on porting it, as one of its biggest features is that it uses both the Firefox and IE rendering engines.

update on extensionsi found out why the extensions are not coming up . they dont have any as yet :) if you try now you will get the message extensions are coming soon :)

Guest LilBambi
Extensions, by their very nature of being independently created, aren't always tested as completely as everyone would like.  You can't blame the browser if someone else's code causes it to crash.  Well, you can, but it's not fair.  :lol:

Good point, the same one many were making about Firefox's Extensions just a few weeks ago. ;)