9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

A Conversation with Linus Torvalds (Linux.com):

A celebration of Linux's 20th birthday wouldn't be complete without an appearance from Linux creator Linus Torvalds. While Torvalds is famously reluctant to speak, he did take the stage at LinuxCon North America 2011 for a conversation with Greg Kroah-Hartman.Jim Zemlin, CEO of the Linux Foundation, introduced Torvalds and "his junior apprentice" Kroah-Hartman for an informal discussion. They started with a discussion about the 3.0 numbering, and Torvalds mentioned (again) that the reason had nothing to do with features and everything to do with numbering."I think I will call 3.11 Linux for Workgroups."
;) ;) ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#2 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:52 AM

"I think I will call 3.11 Linux for Workgroups."If he keeps up that pace, he'll catch them at the bottom in about another 20 years. ;) ;)

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,271 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hehehe, gotta love Torvald's sense of humor  ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,628 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

Linux For The Workgroups 3.11 --> LFTW 3.11 ;)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,545 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

wow! linux for workgroups! at last!  how cool.and i hope he as a huge world-wide event with people waiting in the streets for linux 95!
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

And the free training sessions where they raffle off free copies of LFW 95 ... that's how I got my Win 95...I won! :yes:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#7 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

View PostLilBambi, on Aug 23 2011, 07:19 PM, said:

And the free training sessions where they raffle off free copies of LFW 95 ... that's how I got my Win 95...I won! :yes:
Win 95 was the first Windows I used, I was a DOS hold out.I'm not sure even then that I would have described using it as a win.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#8 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,271 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

View Postamenditman, on Aug 23 2011, 08:05 PM, said:

Win 95 was the first Windows I used, I was a DOS hold out.I'm not sure even then that I would have described using it as a win.
You think thats bad, I start using Windows with 3.0, not counting MSDOS. Man that was rough  :D B)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#9 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,628 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

My first MS Win experience was with 3.1 back in '93 or so. Then I went through a computer hiatus all the way till 2000, at which time I inherited and old Pentium I system from my brother. It had 98SE on it. Darn good OS. I miss 98SE sometimes. :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,545 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

98se and xp were the crowning achievements of ms.  not that 7 isn't good.me (messed-up edition® ) and vista were the pits.to me, debian is the crowning achievement of the linux community - it's uber-stable and available for any (repeat, any) hardware, up to mainframes!  it doesn't have the gloss of the newer os's but, functionality and stability count for something.  :D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users