#51 OFFLINE   Teffy

Teffy

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

View Postzlim, on 16 March 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

On my old computer, I would like to try to use a Linux Live CD to get my brand-new hard drive ready to accept the restoration of an Acronis True Image system back up.
What you propose sounds overly complicated.
Windows 7 has an excellent built in partitioning tool. Is Windows 7 installed?

Windows 7 was installed on the old PC system drive which died - I replaced it with a brand new empty drive.

BTW, I am expecting my new PC to arrive today, and it will have Windows 7 installed.

#52 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,258 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:34 PM

Good deal.. You may want to try out linux (via livecd/usb) on your new machine to check it out. You can also run it virtually with virtualbox on your new rig as you have plenty of ram and such.

You may find that you like Linux more than windows as most of us here do.

How to install Linux Mint as a virtual machine using Windows in 5 easy steps
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#53 OFFLINE   Teffy

Teffy

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 17 March 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

You may find that you like Linux more than windows as most of us here do.

Is there a way to run Windows "apps" within Linux?  I do a lot with Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Dragon Naturally Speaking, Microsoft Money, etc.

#54 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

View PostTeffy, on 17 March 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

Is there a way to run Windows "apps" within Linux?  I do a lot with Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Dragon Naturally Speaking, Microsoft Money, etc.
Certain windows programs, yes.  It's called Wine.

Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, Mac OSX, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.

Here's a list of windows software that might run on Wine:
https://appdb.winehq.org/

and an "About Wine" page with a little info on the Wine Project:
https://www.winehq.org/about/

I've never used Wine myself, but I'm sure someone else will come along with more info if you're interested.  Searching for "wine on linux" will give you lots of hits for general background.

#55 OFFLINE   Teffy

Teffy

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:17 AM

View Postebrke, on 17 March 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

Whoa.  That is wild!  Are there various "gotchas" here and there, or does it just work?

#56 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,258 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostTeffy, on 18 March 2015 - 03:17 AM, said:

View Postebrke, on 17 March 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

Whoa.  That is wild!  Are there various "gotchas" here and there, or does it just work?

Some work and some do not. Just search the winedb to see how your app runs.

Wine is not a full drop in replacement but a lot of applications work fine. There are some great alternatives for window's applications on Linux and they are completely free including an office suite that works with microsoft office files. http://www.linuxalt.com/
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users