#26 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:55 PM

I'm having a new problem.

The computer shuts down without warning and won't reboot (without plugging it in) when the battery level reaches 45%.

I suppose I could set the low battery warning to 50% but that would only give me a couple of days between charges.

Any ideas why it shuts down with a 45% battery charge?
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#27 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,185 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:48 PM

In February you posted

BatteryInfoView shows a Battery Wear Level of 104.4%.
Since this isn't possible, didn't it strike you then that BatteryInfoView was reporting faulty info?

With that it mind, a 45% charge level remaining is wrong. The notebook turns off because it is down to whatever percentage triggers it to turn off 2%, 5%. What does the manual say about percentage of low battery when it will turn off?

Try one or all four of these tools
https://www.raymond....ith-batterybar/
and see what info you can cull about the battery.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,271 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:46 PM

View PostWebb, on 23 May 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

The computer shuts down without warning and won't reboot (without plugging it in) when the battery level reaches 45%.

I suppose I could set the low battery warning to 50% but that would only give me a couple of days between charges.

It sounds as though you might need to replace the battery. Basically it is not holding a full charge since it is empty when it reports 45% left. I have had a couple of laptops do the same thing over the years and is usually because I left it plugged in all the time. Now I remove the battery when I keep the machine plugged in or unplug it as soon as it is 100% charged.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#29 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,185 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:32 AM

I let my Acer plugged in almost all the time. It was purchased August 2011. Likewise the Acer I gave to my husband. It is plugged in almost all the time and was purchased August 2009. Both batteries are fine.

Okay, I pulled the plug on my 2011 netbook and ran the portable version of battery care. The battery was fully charged and it show remaining time of 1 hour and 39 minutes. This was very inaccurate.
Point of reference: I conditioned the battery when the netbook was new.
1st full charge and discharge: 5 hours 33 minutes
2nd full charge and discharge: 5 hours 35 minutes
3rd full charge and discharge (this time I set it to power saving mode): 6 hours and 30 minutes

I used the netbook in the kitchen the other evening on battery only. After 3 hours, I still had battery remaining. I did not check the percentage remaining. So clearly in a few days, it would not drop from over 3 hours to 1 1/2 hours.

So, don't waste your time trying to get credible battery info from Battery Care.

I will look at the other two programs tomorrow.
Liz
Posted Image

#30 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:50 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 23 May 2015 - 11:46 PM, said:

View PostWebb, on 23 May 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

It sounds as though you might need to replace the battery. Basically it is not holding a full charge since it is empty when it reports 45% left. I have had a couple of laptops do the same thing over the years and is usually because I left it plugged in all the time. Now I remove the battery when I keep the machine plugged in or unplug it as soon as it is 100% charged.

The battery is less than 6 months old.  Replacing it is not an option.  This is a $200 throwaway computer.  When the battery dies I will put it on AC power full time.
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

Posted Image
Jim

#31 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,271 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:52 AM

Well batteries are like 20-30 bucks or less sometimes
Posted ImagePosted Image

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#32 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:59 AM

It is not possible for a user to replace the battery in this computer. It is designed that way.

Posted Image
Jim

#33 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,271 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:03 AM

You can always replace anything given the time and effort. Actually, it shouldn't be that hard if you open up the laptop. Even soldered in is not that hard to replace.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:29 AM

That's the problem.  It Isn't worth the cost, time and energy for a $200 computer when I can hook it up permanently to a <$10 AC cable.

Posted Image
Jim

#35 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,185 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:38 PM

I'm currently running battery bar. At least this is closer in line with the inbuilt battery gauge. When installed, it shows over 5 hours remaining, the same as the inbuilt one. Then it dropped to 4 hours and some minutes then 3 hours and some minutes. Then it jumped back to 4 hours and some minutes.
Inbuilt showing 5 hours and 2 minutes and battery bar shows 4 hours and 40 minutes.

I plan on running this until I get the low battery alert. Start time 3:00pm local time.
Local time is now 5:40pm and both inbuilt and battery bar are showing I have 51% or 2 hours and 30 minutes left.
Local time is now 7:25pm; one shows 1 hour and the other 40 minutes. Both show 16% remaining.

I'm not sure what percentage it will warn me then shut off.

At 9% remaining I plugged in the power. This was a 7:45 local time. I had a warning at 10% then told I should plug in, if I wanted to continue working.

Then the orange power light started blinking.

4 hours 45 minutes from the original battery on this netbook purchased in August 2011.

Edited by zlim, 24 May 2015 - 07:48 PM.

Liz
Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:16 PM

The battery has developed a severe memory problem.

I went out of town for Thanksgiving and didn't take the charger, planning to use the computer only for email and a couple of forums.

I saw the low battery threshold coming but it always gives me a warning at home so I didn't worry about it.

At 40% the computer shut down and would not restart.  I cursed a bit and vowed to recharge it when I got home. When I got home the NirSoft program showed 2% charge remaining, which I suppose is why it wouldn't restart.  I seem to have trained the battery to die at 40%.  Recharging it up to 90% took excessively long - over 3 hours.  The last few percentage points took over 1/2 hour.

Posted Image
Jim

#37 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,628 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:55 PM

Ummm... if that battery is anything other than the old style nickel-cadmium, it doesn't develop a "memory" like this old ni-cads did. Lithium Ion batts found in cell phones, cameras and most laptops in the last decade do not suffer from that affliction. When sessions get shorter and battery power "cliffs" instead of gradual discharge, the battery is just plain shot. Get a new one.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:08 PM

Thank you.  The issue has been resolved.

Posted Image
Jim

#39 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,628 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:06 AM

Well? How? The nosy bodies wanna' know. :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

Reset everything to zero.  Fully charge then fully drain.

I'm not sure yet where I'm going to reset the warnings but it's going to be a lot closer to 5% than 40%.

Posted Image
Jim

#41 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,628 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:43 PM

OK, I stand corrected on my previous statement that li batts did now suffer from memory effect. Evidently, I was stuck with old science knowledge. It seems they've changed their minds. Next the eggheads will be telling us coffee is good for us again. ;)

http://phys.org/news...-batteries.html

Glad you got it going, Jim. :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:02 AM

That article refers to batteries using LiFePO4 electrodes. This type has very consistent voltage over the discharge cycle but is less energy dense than the more common LiCoO2 electrodes used in most portable consumer electronics.
I use a LiFePO4 battery as a receiver pack in one of my RC helicopters. It is still going strong after about 4 years, although I never do a partial charge which is what the article refers to relating to memory effect.
So Eric, you were probably safe in your original statement that there is no evidence of memory effect in most lithium ion batteries.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#43 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:37 AM

View Postzlim, on 27 January 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

Then in your situation, when it is fully charged, unplug it and use it on battery. When the battery warning comes on, plug it in and recharge.
Keep repeating this pattern until the battery can't be recharged.

Next time when shopping for a notebook, be sure to check if the battery is easily removable. If not, walk away from the purchase no matter how good it sounds.
I disagree.  The battery has a limited number of recharge cycles and if the battery isn't removable, it means the charging circuit is designed for the device to remain "pluged in".  

The advice to remove the battery once fully charged, was true of earlier laptops, but it doesn't really apply to current models with improved non-overcharging circuits.

edit: Though it probably wouldn't hurt to unplug and run on battery once every couple of weeks.  But even that is getting a little OCD.

Edited by lewmur, 01 December 2015 - 08:44 AM.

#44 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,628 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

View Postsunrat, on 01 December 2015 - 04:02 AM, said:

So Eric, you were probably safe in your original statement that there is no evidence of memory effect in most lithium ion batteries.

COOL! :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users