43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:25 AM

My new notebook came with some rather confusing instructions on optimizing battery life.  I've done the charge/discharge cycle three times but I can keep it plugged in most of the time

The useful lifespan of the battery is adversely affected by the following usage patterns:

Using the computer on constant AC power.

Not discharging and recharging the battery to its extremes, as described above.

Frequent use; the more you use the battery, the faster it will reach the end of its effective life. An embedded battery has a life span of more than 1,000 charge/discharge cycles.

Optimizing battery life

Use AC power whenever possible, reserving battery for mobile use.

Excessive recharging decreases the battery life.

The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,273 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:41 AM

If you leave it plugged in, take the battery out. The rest is generally BS.

Most of the newer batteries will stop charging when they are full so a lot of those precautions are crap.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:55 AM

Removing the battery isn't a practical option.

Opening the case would void the warranty.

In the event I want to take it somewhere I'd have open the case again to put the battery back in.
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

Posted Image
Jim

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,273 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:58 AM

Oh, it doesn't come out like normal laptops/netbooks?

That would be a big no no, as the battery will be the first part to go out on a laptop.

I wouldn't buy any laptop without a removable battery.
Posted ImagePosted Image

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:29 AM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834314645

This is the model.  I bought because it was cheap and I plan to use it just to download/stream video to my HDTVs with its HDMI port.  I have two TVs so I need to move the computer back and forth.  It's worth what I paid for it.  The battery doesn't just slide out and I don't think removing it is easy or even possible.

Posted Image
Jim

#6 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

I've kept the battery in all the time on the 5 notebooks/netbooks I've owned and I've kept them plugged in for the majority of the time. The battery on my old HP (2001) lasted at least 5 years. I did not buy a new battery because it was getting old, was heavy to lug around so I used it plugged in.
I don't know about the Micron (received from someone in July 2003) because I donated it to someone who had no computer.
Asus eeepc (Jan 18 2008) battery might last about 15 minutes less than it did when new.
Acer 722 (Aug 18 2011) and  Acer (Aug 18 2013) I haven't noticed any problems yet.

I did condition my Acers as you did by running the battery down three times, and fully charging before using again.
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,273 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

Well I have two old laptops and an old netbook with dead batteries. Also, my mom's old laptop's battery doesn't hold a charge.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

So what's the general opinion about a new notebook battery?  Mother's new Lenovo reported battery not in good shape (Lenovo's own hardware report) after about 6 months and Lenovo shipped me a new battery without a single question asked.  It had been on AC power most of the time.  Now I've started unplugging and letting the battery run down about 75% before plugging in again.  Is this necessary?

#9 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

Boot>use it>battery warning>plug it in>Finished>switch off>unplug it>fairly good to prolong battery. Happy days
Linux counter no . 393441

#10 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:22 AM

Where you can plug in the laptop, charge to 75-80% (never more than that). Unplug. Remove the battery. Plug in and use AC power.

#11 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:11 AM

Removing the battery isn't a viable option.

It's not a pop out and I've read that it's not even replaceable.

To remove it I'd have to open the case, voiding the warranty.  Maybe after the warranty expires.

Posted Image
Jim

#12 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:00 PM

Then in your situation, when it is fully charged, unplug it and use it on battery. When the battery warning comes on, plug it in and recharge.
Keep repeating this pattern until the battery can't be recharged.

Next time when shopping for a notebook, be sure to check if the battery is easily removable. If not, walk away from the purchase no matter how good it sounds.

Edited by zlim, 27 January 2015 - 12:01 PM.

Liz
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:31 PM

The useful lifespan of the battery is adversely affected by the following usage patterns:
Using the computer on constant AC power.

That charges the battery to 100% all the time. The more voltage you put in the li-on cell, the more stress on the cell; the more stress, the less discharge/charge cycles your battery will have.

Not discharging and recharging the battery to its extremes, as described above.

Every time that discharge to 0% /charge to 100% occurs, you use 1 charge/discharge cycle. Shallow charging (like discharge to 40%, plug in and recharge to 70%, unplug) saves some cycles.

My suggestion is for you to plug in when the battery is at 30-40% and unplug when the battery is at 75%.

Next time when shopping for a notebook, be sure to check if the battery is easily removable. If not, walk away from the purchase no matter how good it sounds
Until manufacturers include a battery switch, I would never recommend a laptop with an internal battery.

Edited by b2cm, 27 January 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:51 PM

My suggestion is for you to plug in when the battery is at 30-40% and unplug when the battery is at 75%.

That's my plan.  Thanks for your help.

Edited by Webb, 27 January 2015 - 11:52 PM.

Posted Image
Jim

#15 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

Disassembly of your notebook
https://www.youtube....h?v=MoL3IXBTt4A

appears you even have to remove the motherboard to update the RAM! I have to say, I haven't seen a laptop this complicated to upgrade since the 90's.
I had to remove the keyboard in a micron to add more RAM. That's something I don't want to repeat.

Battery info program (no install) just run the exe file when it is operating on battery to get info.
http://www.nirsoft.n...ation_view.html
Liz
Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,273 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

View Postzlim, on 28 January 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

appears you even have to remove the motherboard to update the RAM! I have to say, I haven't seen a laptop this complicated to upgrade since the 90's.

I had to remove the keyboard in a micron to add more RAM. That's something I don't want to repeat.

You sure this isn't a mac :hysterical:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

NirSoft looks fun but it doesn't seem to do much that would benefit me except estimate the time to recharge.

My plan now is to set the Windows low battery warning to 30%, then plug it in when the warning goes off.  I'm still looking for something that would notify me when it recharges to 75% so I don't have to keep looking at the battery meter.

Posted Image
Jim

#18 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

That's fine ... Wait till you hit the sealed post in the middle of the back... The only way is to use a hot soldering iron to melt the plastic riveting . Talk about nerve rattling.

Re battery . There are some chargers about that will not overcharge . Some of them even have a reconditioning cycle .

Mac books had a battery reconditioning programme on them . Legacy stuff. " Mac Powerbook"
Linux counter no . 393441

#19 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:51 PM

it doesn't seem to do much that would benefit me
So you aren't interested in the Battery Wear level?
The wear level of a new battery should be around 100%, and it gradually decreases. This value is calculated according to the 'Designed Capacity' and 'Full Charged Capacity' values.
Liz
Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,545 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:17 AM

capacity over time decreases, agreed.

but a lot of the hoopla over nicad batteries came from a study done in the 1960's that folks took for gospel for every circumstance:

the study was for a set of nicads that was discharged to some level and recharged, (over and over over the course of years)
eventually the batteries indeed lost capacity to that pre-determined percent to recharge level.
from that, everyone took the ball and ran with it stating you must completely discharge nicads every time you use them.
which isn't the case.
Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:34 AM

This is a lithium battery.

I'm going to install the NirSoft monitor but I'm not going to obsess over battery life now that I have a plan in place.

I don't have any plans for this computer to ever leave the house but if I develop any plans in the future I'd like to have a functioning battery (assuming nothing else goes bad before then).  If and when the battery goes I'll just buy another AC adapter (less than $10) so I can keep it in its two locations.

Posted Image
Jim

#22 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:34 PM

Totally OT but just a comment on your sig -

Some countries use the metric system.  Others land men on the moon.
The US uses the metric system in many cases, particularly in science. Search Quora for "metric system".
Also 20% of Americans believe the sun revolves around the Earth, and many believe the Earth is less than 10,00 years old. Some comments I've read from people who believe it is 2015 years old.
I know it's just a whimsical throwaway statement, but do you think the LHC uses SAE?
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#23 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

View Postsunrat, on 30 January 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

Also 20% of Americans believe the sun revolves around the Earth, and many believe the Earth is less than 10,00 years old. Some comments I've read from people who believe it is 2015 years old.
Probably the most frightening thing I've read all week.

#24 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

Posted Image

'Murica.  He11 yeah!  We don't care how you do it in Europe.

Edited by Webb, 30 January 2015 - 09:05 PM.

Posted Image
Jim

#25 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

This is working great.  I use it on weekends for watching movies so it discharges about once a week.  I/m recharging it for this weekend and BatteryInfoView shows a Battery Wear Level of 104.4%.

:thumbsup:

Posted Image
Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users