• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:37 PM

Welllll.... :)  &$%#@#$*&%  <_< Today was the day,,, did everything that has been suggested ... total disassembly ... except for hard drives and DVD Rom and CDRW and FD. Down to the bare case, cleaned it up all nice n purrty ( :lol: ). Did not notice any apparent grounds between mainboard and case. Placed board back in case, hooked up the pwr switch, put in one stick of ram and the video card, along with the keyboard and mouse .... BTW cleared the CMOS and also put in spare power supply. Time for the power to be applied, have power, cpu fan spins as well as the north bridge fan .... but ...  no  beep ,,, no  video ..... dead silence all around (except for me) .. now, what is the next step ... I do have a spare mainboard (brand new really) ASUS, can use all the same components that are on this board ,,,  DDR266/333/400  ,,,  etc etc ....  any suggestions/advice on maybe a way to narrow it down to either the processor or main board .... ????
Dale

U.S. Navy (ret.) '62 - '84
Communications (Radioman)

Reg. Linux User 412421

#27 OFFLINE   Ed_P

Ed_P

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:47 PM

any suggestions/advice
You remember my comment about the large ring?  :)  <_< You could try replacing the processor.  BUT if the board is bad it could blow the new processor.Is the board still under warantee?  If so get an RMA and return it.  Same for the processor.
Ed

#28 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:07 PM

Yeah,  It's starting to sound like a boat anchor to me too....
Nathan Williams, N-Line Computers

How to kill a programmer:  Give him a shampoo bottle.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

#29 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:10 PM

EcP ........I am not that lucky ...  at best guess this entire uint is at the minimum 2 years old, possibily older ... but no more than 3 since the pwr  supply I took out has a quality check stamp on it that say  2002 ......
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#30 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:51 PM

:blink:  :w00t:  ;) EdP/inlinecomputers ........You is all right, just full of well wishes and good humor. I like that ,  how about  I get my other board and rebuild this thing and see what I come up with there. The only real difference other than the Mfgr (I did check Solteks' site and I can get a smiliiar board just a lot newer version, different chipset though) is that the Soltek board is only a AGP2X/4X slot and  the ASUS is a  8X slot, I will have to see if it can work with the 4X card that is on the Soltek board. Other than those two differences all else is the same except one more item the ASUS has the LAN connection onboard whereas Soltek I used a PCI slot.So ... I ask for some advice here, saying I do change out the board (it is a Socket A), am I going to have fits, get ulcers, and less hair attempting to get all the hardware to be accepted and the BIOS to work right....  ?????
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#31 OFFLINE   Ed_P

Ed_P

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 04:18 PM

longgone, on Jun 8 2004, 03:12 PM, said:

EcP ........I am not that lucky ...  at best guess this entire uint is at the minimum 2 years old, possibily older ... but no more than 3 since the pwr  supply I took out has a quality check stamp on it that say  2002 ......
Some compnents have 1 yr warantees, some 2 and some 3.  My ATI video card has at least 3yrs and maybe 5.  It doesn't hurt to fill out the RMA forms on their websites.

EdP/inlinecomputers ........You is all right, just full of well wishes and good humor.
That's us alright.  ;)   nlinecomputers is the true wizard but I'm better lookin.  :blink: :w00t:
Ed

#32 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 04:27 PM

It's most likely the motherboard.Use the processor and memory on the ASUS board. The 4x AGP card will most likely run on the 8X slot. I have an 8X (a Soltek Nforce2, surprise!)  board that used to run a 4X Radeon card (using GF4 8x card now).My Soltek board (wanted an Epox but Soltek was the only one available) runs fine, but I had a terrible experience (swear I lost some hair and aggravated some ulcers) with a Soltek MVP3 many, many years ago. ASUS or MSI is definitely better.

#33 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 04:32 PM

EdP.....     :blink:  :w00t: That's us alright. biggrin.gif nlinecomputers is the true wizard but I'm better lookin. w00t.gif laugh.gifTHAT is truly a biased opinion  .....  ;)  :w00t:  I  would bet that the mainboard is forever gone I have checked the web site thoroughly and that particular model is not listed anywhere, not even in the discontinued section ( :P  B) ) ...  also correction on the board I have it is an ASRock K7S8X board .. not ASUS    as I said earlier. The CPU has a 3 year wrnty since it was a boxed unit with heatsink/fan included.I guess I need something extra to do, I wil have to get that mainboard and start a new project. Lets see, I need to replace the DVD Rom in the B unit (for some reason I get errors reading data disks, in particular OS disks), put the new mainboard in the A unit, get Bruno to help me install a partioning tool in the B unit (so I can get more than 4 Primaries)(BTW he does not know it yet  :huh: ), and then after all that, re-install XP on the B machine, and if all is good maybe throw another Linux OS on B machine.Darn...  after all that  time for a tall  cold one
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#34 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 04:37 PM

b2cm...Had a bad (real bad) experience with a SOYO K7 dragon board ...  was puttin in a ram stick and it slipped. Well I did not see anything that was wrong so I finished the ram install and then put power to the board. Well when I slipped I accidently cracked one of the ceramic capacitors that was right next to the ram socket. When I applied the power, the capacitor exploded, sounded like a .22 had gone off. and then the smoke started. I stopped for the day after that ... figured once was enough. I bought the Soltec board the next day.
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#35 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:28 AM

... the board I have it is an ASRock K7S8X board .. not ASUS as I said earlier.
If I'm not mistaken, ASUS makes ASRock boards and you can expect the same quality design and control that goes into each ASRock product.

#36 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 09:22 AM

b2cm . . .You are correct,, I just did not want any cornfusion to abound by  my  ooppssss..........
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#37 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:21 PM

:)  :rolleyes: %&#@#$%^&*^%#Welllllll ............   if it was not for bad luck ...  I would not have any luck at all  ....  put that brand new mainboard in the case  .. did an initial test (1 ram stick, video card, cpu/heatsink/fan) and there is absolutely no change ....  no beep , no video , no squat. So all of y'all fine  techie types, is there a possibility that all this frustration I am experiencing could be caused by a bad video card. I can attest that the monitor is good, I am using it. I do have a video card available (8X in another unit) I could use to check with, don't like doing that type of stuff but if worse comes to really worse. What does that single beep during the boot up signify? Is it associated with a memory check, or something else?
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#38 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:39 PM

a possibility that all this frustration I am experiencing could be caused by a bad video card.
Yes. Try the video card on another system to check.

What does that single beep during the boot up signify?
A single (short) beep means OK. It should be followed by a display, unless there's something wrong with the display controller, monitor cables or monitor.

#39 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:54 PM

b2cm ...Ummm ....   ah ha  ....  okay  ..  have no beep .. so not everything is  up to snuff ... no display  either  ...      okay I will do the very unthinkable (for me anyway) cannabalize the other unit (just for a little bit) ..  BUT  I can say without any trepidation that if I have done all this and it is just the video card .. I just might have to have a couple 3  cold ones ...
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#40 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:15 PM

OK. I'd rather you test that video card on a working system first (just startup, to determine if it can initialise), before you try the 8x card on the new board. Take extra care in handling those cards in and out of the AGP slots. Don't rush things or pressure yourself. Best time is when frustration level is much more manageable.  :rolleyes:

#41 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:44 PM

b2cm ............. ??????????? B)  :lol:  :) (oh no)You mean that the olllddd   phrase ...  get a bigger hammer does not apply in this situation  ....  I sort of figured that if this card would not work in the other system (I know it is good, it is for sale  B) ) that I might order another video card for my main system an chuck the current one in the trash ... but if the video card works in the for sale one I think it narrows it down to the CPU  (process of eliminations)
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#42 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:08 PM

...CPU (process of eliminations)....
Yes. It could be the processor (B) ), if the video card is okay.

#43 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 03:12 PM

:D  :D  :D Welllll .....  from my latest  ...  tblshtin ....  I  have come to the conclusion that I am totally confused now. I put the suspect video card in a known good machine and I got no beep, no video, then I put the card that came out of the know good machine into the one that is down and I have the same results as before.   No beep, no video, and yes I did turn the machines on (((duh))) ... so sports fans, ladies and gentlemen, and distinguished guests ... what shall I do next ????????????????
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#44 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 04:36 PM

It looks like the video card is bad. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a neighborhood PC store and source my new video card there. I'd bring my box along and have the new card tried out first (before I pay). If the box won't initialize, I'm sure they'd give the system a quick diagnostic for free. And, in case the processor or board is busted, you don't have to buy a new video card. On the other hand, if it does initialize----problem solved. You buy the video card.

#45 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 05:05 PM

b2cm....................... :whistling:  :thumbsup:  :ermm: In this update to the update (erroronus) ... after I reseated the suspect card properly in the known  good machine and powered it up,,,,,,,  the video came right on up ... must have something to do with that mounting screw not being in there (loose card maybe).So I know the video card is good, next step, put known good video card in the down machine (even though it is an 8X card and the board is only 2X/4X ) ... and no beep, no video ....  is this a real good bet that the  CPU  went south (north, east, west, someplace). I guess I shall find a  good deal  on  an  OEM   AMD XP2100+   on the  web  ...    www.pricegrabber.com   here  I  come ... :lol:
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#46 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:59 PM

:w00tx100:  ;)  :happyroll: Wellll .....  the  new   CPU arrived today,   could it be a  project on hand to repair the main machine ?????     For someone  real  techy  ...  there is a vast visual  difference between the two   CPU's,  the early one actually has a physically larger chip than the new one, as well as some other construction differences. Is this (I hope) just advances in construction technology or is this like a difference between say Barton, Palamino, Thoroughbred  cores????
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#47 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:43 PM

Dale, That processor IS listed in the motherboard manual as being compatible, right?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#48 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:12 AM

Try putting the processor over the motherboard socket to see if the chip's pins fit.It's either a Palomino or Thoroughbred-A processor. The first is .18 micron Athlon and the latter is .13 micron. Thoroughbred-B starts at 2700+ while Barton at 2500+. All of them should be Socket A-compatible----if they are of the desktop package.

#49 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:19 AM

ross549/b2cm  ......Ummmm ....     should be  .. socket  A  .. so the compatability should be good  ... have not yet set it on the board since I need to go get  some thermal paste to put on the chip before I go for the  gusto  here ....   good info on the Thoroughbred and Barton  .. thanks  . Didn't the Athlons also come in the Thunderbird version ... memory is getting fuzzy there     B)  ;)  .. I will find out the   results  later  on  today  ....
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#50 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:50 AM

Dale,The motherboard may not support it..... newer chips use higher clocks and multipliers. The motherboard may not have the rquired ones to run the chip at full speed. Also, different product lines use different voltages, which may not be supported by your motherboard.Is this board's BIOS flashed to the latest version?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users