#51 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

OK, when in Debian,Do this before connecting to the internet with dialup:
sudo ifdown eth0
and that will shut the ethernet connection to the router down. If you need to bring it up, you can use the ifup command, which is basically the same as the above. That way you can dial in without having to reboot.Now, in the router page, what is showing for Internet connection type? Have you set it up for PPPoE yet?Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#52 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:50 PM

It is set up for  PPPoE  on the setup page  .. if that is what you are asking ... AND if you want to wait on this ..... I just ordered a new modem from Earthlink should be about a week to 10 days  before it arrives  ....    it would be nice to have this done but  .. just might end up doing it all over  again
Dale

U.S. Navy (ret.) '62 - '84
Communications (Radioman)

Reg. Linux User 412421

#53 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

hmmm.......Yeah, from what you've been saying it is possible the modem is the issue, especially since the router reports that it is connected and set up properly.Adam

#54 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:58 PM

At the moment ... my only other option is to try the other modem with the router and see if that makes any difference  ...  I have only been using the one modem with the router  have not as of yet tried the other one  ....
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#55 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:12 PM

Give it a whirl......Make sure you power the router off before connecting the modem, and make sure the modem lights have stabilized first. Once the router is running, do the ifdown and ifup commands the bring the PC online with the router.Adam

#56 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:22 PM

;)  :hmm:  :hmm:  :hmm: ..........Both modems act the same way .... so i guess I'll just  wait on the new one  ... one bad thing about this is I don't really know if the router is good or not ...   BUT  I do need to make sure the  OS's are configured correctly for  DSL   .... I  do know that in both MD2007.1 and PCLOS  I have lost the ability to connect to the web  since I started trying to get this DSL to work ....  that is not  good at all ....
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#57 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

Have you tried direct connecting the modem to the computer and setting up PCLos for a PPPoE connection?Adam

#58 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:01 PM

Yes
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#59 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

To be honest, I've not tried to configure a DSL connection with the PCLos Control Center. The only advice I can give you is that you delete any other network connections that are there and start from scratch.Adam

#60 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:08 PM

Well right now I can't  even connect to do updates   .. not good ....
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#61 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:10 PM

PClos eh ? I remember having struggled with the connection too, let's see if I can find where I posted the solution to that one. BBL Aligator...
Striker
still the same...

#62 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:12 PM

striker ... while your looking find one for MD2007.1  too
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#63 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

Found it:http://forums.scotsn...h...st&p=227135For Spring it works the same.Now there's one note tho:Just yesterday and today I'm in the middle of testing the PCLinuxOS Business Edition Desktop which in great lines is about the same as PClos 2007 regarding functioning of hardware support. On an old junker PC I tested it on the connection was set up smoothly during install, on the main machine which I used also for setting up PClos 2007 it worked right at the start too. But PClos 2007 wouldn't behave, it took the approach listed in the link above to get it working.Spring worked right away out of the box. Go figure. But trying never hurts. ;)
Striker
still the same...

#64 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

Question ..........I have installed XP on my extra machine in order to check out these DSL modems and the router .... I am currently connected to the web using  dial-up ... I cannot get a connection to the web with either DSL modem ... all I  get is the unable to connect to server error ..  does the  dial up connection need to be unplugged from the dial up modem in order for the broadband to connect  up  ....  ?????
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#65 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

Nope, as long as you are not connected to the internet with the dialup, it should not be a problem.Adam

#66 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:58 PM

:whistling: .............Well then I guess neither one is any good  .... it says I am connected on the broadband and when I click on the monitor icon and select status it shows incoming/outgoing bytes but they are very few not what should be showing if the connection is active ...    All I know is this is not the way I remember  XP   at all ...

Edited by longgone, 30 June 2007 - 09:00 PM.

Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#67 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:30 PM

Are you connected directly to the modems or running through the router?Adam

#68 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:29 AM

Not using the router at all ...  I  figure it this way .... get the DSL up an running then do the router ... if it is any good  ...
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#69 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:58 AM

View Postlonggone, on Jul 1 2007, 12:29 AM, said:

Not using the router at all ...  I  figure it this way .... get the DSL up an running then do the router ... if it is any good  ...
The KISS approach ... always best with troubleshooting. :whistling:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#70 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:49 AM

View Postlonggone, on Jul 1 2007, 01:29 AM, said:

It would be easier to check with the router than without in XP.  Once you can address the router VIA its admin page, then you can use the WAN setup wizard to check the modem.Unless you have the original setup disks for the modems, it would be difficult to set them up without the router.As long as you have XP installed, try it that way.  Connect the cable to the router and reboot.  Go to the command prompt and type "ipconfig/all" and check the gateway address.  Then go into IE and type that address into the address bar.  That will take you to the routers admin page.Attach the modem to the router's WAN port, wait for the lights, and then run the router's setup wizard.  When asked for the WAN connection type, chose PPPoE and type in the user name and password furnish by Earthlink.  The modem should connect and the status should show as "connected" with a WAN IP address other than 0.0.0.0.Of course, this is all based on the assumption that you and the Earthlink tech have setup the modems MAC address, if needed.  (You can't always just plug in any modem and have it work.  Earthlink may have to set the Modem's MAC address into their computer.)

Edited by lewmur, 01 July 2007 - 09:05 AM.

#71 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

That's true lewmur, however, if you search on the web for the exact model of DSL modem, most have a 'web' address that can be accessed with a browser.You can then create within XP a 'new connection' that accesses it and it can be tested with that connection.Verizon DSL uses that method to test their DSL modems.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#72 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:09 PM

The router will not come into play until I can get DSL up and running all by itself .. reason being  already tried with the  router and it did not work ....Here is what I have with this Speed Stream DSL modem ... there was no install disk to begin with just  print instructons ....  did it, did it, did it,  the DSL modem is correctly hooked up, the lights look pretty, BUT BUT,  according to the little icon it has"little or no connectivity"  ..  "details say" that the network did not assign a network address to the computer  .... so  from my point of  view .... 'here I sit all broken hearted,,, my DSL can't even get started ,,, I did it right, all by the book, what gave my network address the hook ,,,    :whistling:  :D One must maintain a sense of humor lest one take a 25lb sledge to ones computer .....
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#73 OFFLINE   greengeek

greengeek

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:26 AM

Is the network card enabled in the BIOS?Ok it's probably a stupid question anyway but I just spent hours trying to get a network running before I remembered to check to see if the onboard NIC was enabled (it wasn't).

#74 OFFLINE   longgone

longgone

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,155 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:12 AM

B)   :D  ...... I have not thought of that ... I guess I should give it a check .... since on this machine the   ethernet jack is built into the mainboard whereas on my normal one it is a separate NIC card  ....
Dale

Reg. Linux User 412421

#75 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

Since he was able to pull up the router admin pages, I would say yes, his ethernet card wa working fine.Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users