86 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:56 PM

Nope, WPA says I'll have to phone in.  Just to make sure I'm clear, I want to know if:1. I call in today to re-activate2. I re-install it in a week, month, or yearWill I be able to re-activate it online OR copy the WPA file to the installation without a problem?

#77 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:20 AM

I think you can copy the wpa file after activation. One way to do this easily is after you re-install, use a BartPE CD to do the copying.

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#78 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:48 AM

I think you can copy the wpa file after activation. One way to do this easily is after you re-install, use a BartPE CD to do the copying.
I imagine it would work to use PartitionMagic's File Browser to place the file while the installation is inactive.So, you're saying that if I phone M$ today, I can re-install XP and copy over the file OR re-activate XP completely online...right??

#79 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:06 AM

Methinks that's correct unless Marsden says otherwise... :wacko:

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#80 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:10 PM

Well, Marsden...? :wacko:

#81 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

What exactly are you trying to avoid?MS is not keeping a list of your WPAs. They really don't care if your HD crashes one day or your MB the next day... these things happen!I just did a clean install for a client Thursday. He installed his OEM copy of XP last year around October. WPA was done over the Internet without issue. Technically it was the 2nd time for WPA on that machine. He did not have to copy the WPA file to avoid making a phone call. It just worked over the Internet.I have found it much easier to just call the freaking number than to spend soooo much time and energy trying to avoid it. What is your time worth???

#82 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:22 PM

Sheesh, I just want a simple answer to my question.  Yes or No...?

1. I call in today to re-activate2. I re-install it in a week, month, or yearWill I be able to re-activate it online OR copy the WPA file to the installation without making a phone call?

#83 OFFLINE   Ed_P

Ed_P

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:58 PM

I don't see where a Yes or a No will change anything so what difference does it make?FWIW I have never had to call MS$ for XP activation.  I replaced both my MB and processor after shorting out an upgrade and didn't have to call.  I've replaced hds and reinstalled the OS from vendor Recovery disks and never had to call.   I've restored my image backup and never had to call.  etc.  I've never worried about the WPA.
Ed

#84 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:59 PM

1. I call in today to re-activate2. I re-install it in a week, month, or yearWill I be able to re-activate it online OR copy the WPA file to the installation without making a phone call?
Today... you will have to call in.In a week you will have to call in.In a month you may or may not have to call in.Copy the WPA files to avoid calling in. Sometimes copying the files does not work and you will have to call it in. Your mileage will vary.In a year you will not need to call in for WPA. It will be automatic over the Internet.

#85 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:29 PM

Well, I re-installed today after phoning for re-activation (on my current install before re-installing) and I was able to re-activate it (on the re-install) online.  Interesting... :hmm:Copying the files did not work.Thanks.

Edited by epp_b, 11 February 2006 - 07:30 PM.

#86 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, calling may be a annoying to have to do, but the call itself was actually quite painless when I had to do it.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#87 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:36 PM

Thanks, Bambi.  I found it kind of dumb that they use a voice recognition system when it would be much faster and more accurate to use a system that just picks up the number you dial.  In the end, it didn't even work and I talked to some guy I could barely understand and who hung up without any indication of doing so...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users