86 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:49 PM

Grrrrarrrghgh...got another lockup... :'( :hmm: Looks like this thing may be going back to the shop on Monday...

#52 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:17 PM

Can anyone suggest some programs I can use to test my hardware (RAM, CPU, etc.)?  I'd prefer something bootable to put on a floppy disk.I've already tried MemTest86 and I'm going to let run again (unless I find something better), but this time, I'm going to run it straight through tonight until tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by epp_b, 04 February 2006 - 11:17 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:17 AM

Can anyone suggest some programs I can use to test my hardware (RAM, CPU, etc.)?
Very expensive.http://www.smithmicr...up=product_fullHave the shop do the diagnostics. Have them replace the motherboard. If itis going to be another ECS board, choose a full ATX board without onboard video. And choose one with an Nvidia or Via chipset.

#54 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:18 AM

No kidding!  It's $300!It is an ATX board and I like the onboard VGA.

#55 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

It is an ATX board and I like the onboard VGA.
I know. What I meant was not to choose (if given the option) a microATX or FlexATX board. I've handled a lot of ECS and Jetway mobos over the years, and have seen their FULL ATX boards to work as well (speed, stability) as those from 'expensive' mobo makers. On the other hand, problemmatic ECS and Jetway mobos usually were microATX (and BabyAT) with built-in SiS or Via video.

#56 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

My previous board (K7SEM) with a SiS Chipset and SiS VGA worked wonderfully for three or four years.I have no reason to use a MicroATX or FlexATX as I am not confined to a small space or anything like that.  I might just ask for a replacement of the exact motherboard.Anyway, I ran Memtest86+ straight through from about 11:30 PM yesterday (Saturday) to 12:00 PM today (Sunday).  It reported a total of 11:37 (HH:MM), 22 passes, and zero errors.  Sigh...

#57 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:01 PM

Ran Audacity again and everything froze up within about two seconds :(Note that since my re-install, I have had several lockups and I have only installed Audacity a few minutes ago.  Something is being invoked somewhere...but it doesn't seem to be any specific software in general...BTW, I've also ruled out my hard drives (as far as physical properites go) because I use two separate hard drives alternatively.  Yesterday I was using the hard drive that is now sitting on the shelf.  Today, I wiped the drive I'm currently using and cloned the hard drive I was using yesterday.

Edited by epp_b, 05 February 2006 - 05:02 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   daveydoom

daveydoom

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:17 PM

Do you have one stick of 1 Gig RAM or two 512 's?   I didn't notice that mentioned in any of the posts.   If you have two sticks I would take one out at a time and see if that helps.   Faulty RAM can sometimes pass a memtest86 test  B) .   Does Event Viewer offer any leads?

Edited by daveydoom, 05 February 2006 - 09:19 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

2x512.  I might try that yet, but XP activation is going to stick me with one vote then <_<I checked the event veiwer some time ago, and there's nothing in it at the times of the lockups.I'm going to see if I can get a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU on warranty.

#60 OFFLINE   daveydoom

daveydoom

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:41 PM

I'd try it with one stick at a time before taking the whole thing back.   Easy way to tell if it's RAM or not  B) .If activation is a problem afterwards just call M$ and explain, they'll be able to help.

#61 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:55 PM

If I have to reset my activation, does it still work if I revert to the configuration for which it was previously activated for?

#62 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:14 PM

Sounds like your program may be the culprit.

Audacity 1.2.4 is a new stable version of Audacity. It includes a couple of bug fixes and minor improvements and is recommended for all users. Audacity 1.3.0 is a beta release that contains hundreds of new features, but this version is unfinished and unstable, and is recommended primarily for advanced users.
Try another sound editor to see if your system locks up.

#63 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:55 PM

Firstly, if you read my previous post, you'll see that Audacity cannot possibly be the culprit.Let me put this into a chronological perspective: - I installed XP about two weeks ago - I have had lockups at rate of once or twice a day since I installed XP - I only installed Audacity todayIt can't be Audacity.  Obviously, however, Audacity does invoke or trigger what is the culprit.  But what the culprit is, I don't know... :hmm:I am using 1.2.4, not 1.3.0.

Edited by epp_b, 05 February 2006 - 10:59 PM.

#64 OFFLINE   coswald23

coswald23

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

I'm no expert but, when you were working with the registry and yahoo I thinks you may have caused the problem. do a reinstall as you said you were and I think you'll solve it. My cpu has run at a high temp and at 100% many times and never locked up like yours is constantly.   GOOD LUCK :DOr try to fix the registry:>}

#65 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

coswalt23, I don't remember if I've said it here (feel free to search through the thread B)), but I have done a clean sweep and re-install of XP since the Yahoo mess.  ....I'm still having lockups.

#66 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:37 AM

Yes, have the motherboard replaced if you can.

My previous board (K7SEM) with a SiS Chipset and SiS VGA worked wonderfully for three or four years.
If you've also tried K7S5A then, you would have seen the performance difference between a SiS chipset with a dedicated AGP port and one with an onboard VGA controller, especially with XP as operating system.

#67 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:45 AM

I have no performance issues, just stability B)

#68 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:03 AM

Simple question.Have you run your CPU at 100% for 24 hours?Run it at 100% for 24 hours and get back to us. If you have adequate cooling it should not be a problem.

#69 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:21 AM

Any suggestions on what I might use to do that?  (again, preferably something bootable)

Edited by epp_b, 06 February 2006 - 02:22 AM.

#70 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

Try this: www.primegrid.comDownload the BOINC client and run it for 24 hours. It will take your CPU to 100%. If your machine can run the BOINC client straight for 24 hours without locking up, you can eliminate CPU over heating.

#71 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:53 PM

Just a thought: could this have anything to do with S.M.A.R.T.?When recording audio, Audacity is constantly writing the temp files containing recorded audio to the hard drive... :'(

Edited by epp_b, 06 February 2006 - 09:54 PM.

#72 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:54 PM

I brought the PC back into the local shop on Wednesday and they replaced the motherboard with the updated model.  This particular board has a VIA chipset.After running a repair installation of XP and installing a few new drivers, it seems to be working well so far.Just a side question: if I call to re-activate XP (it's nagging me now because too many hardware flags have changed), I should still be able to activate it online (without phoning) if I decide to wipe and re-install XP in a week or something, right?

#73 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

You will have to phone it in. The 800 number is active 24x7x365.

#74 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

Thanks Marsden.  The next time I activate it (say, I re-install my OS in a week), will I be able to do it seamlessly online?

#75 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:40 PM

epp_b,If you re-activate it now online and it is successful (which it should be) then re-installing it next week won't set off activation if you copy the wpa.dll or whatever it is that contains your activation and copy it to the new install. When you activate a file is created with your hardware hash, etc. copying that file to a re-install will not trip re-activation if no hardware changes have been made.

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users