• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:46 PM

My experience with ECS boards has left me recommending ASUS each and every time. :ph34r:

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#27 OFFLINE   muckshifter

muckshifter

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:51 PM

View PostPeachy, on Jan 27 2006, 06:46 PM, said:

My experience with ECS boards has left me recommending ASUS each and every time. :D
ECS = PCChips = Excetionally Crap Chips :ph34r:  :'(

#28 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:52 PM

Them ECS boards are a real bugger when it comes to a PSU ...
Yes, that's a possibility. But did you do a check disk recently? I would try that first now after all you've gone through. (2 years ago I had the same symptoms with a win2k system, brand new; One of the hard disks was dying ... brand new ! go figure.) If that doesn't reveal anything, like muckshifter hinted, the PSU might be the culprit.Who knows? But I would return that machine to where it came from and have them solve these problems if I were you.  :ph34r:

Edited by striker, 27 January 2006 - 02:54 PM.

Striker
still the same...

#29 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:22 PM

Aw, c'mon you guys, no brand-bashing! :)  Actually, I find that, if an ECS board works, it works very well and has very few problems.  If it doesn't, then it just plain doesn't.  There's very little in-between.

But I would return that machine to where it came from and have them solve these problems if I were you.
That's what I'll have to do if my re-install doesn't fix it.

#30 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:10 PM

If you eliminate all the possible hardware issues, your next examination should be directed at device drivers.

#31 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

Froze again today ... I checked the CPU temperature in the BIOS immediately afterwards, and it was still at 34C. I'm quite sure there are no thermal issues here.
Of course, you can expect the normal temp after freeze and restart. It is not like the chip traps the heat or the hardware monitor reports the temp before it the chip reach temp threshold.I still think it is CPU overheating. If not, hardware config.

#32 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:58 PM

Of course, you can expect the normal temp after freeze and restart. It is not like the chip traps the heat or the hardware monitor reports the temp before it the chip reach temp threshold.
I didn't expect it to, but I don't how long CPUs take to cool off.

I still think it is CPU overheating. If not, hardware config.
I'm pretty sure the CPU is not overheating.  I ran it up to 100% for a good 10 minutes without any problems.In fact, I think I have found the problem: Konfabulator.  That, or the fact that it is an older version of Konfabulator and there is still a registry mess from the newer version dubbed "Yahoo Widget Manager".  I disabled it yesterday and have not had a problem since.  I also recorded in Audacity (from the same source) for 20-some minutes straight with no lockups while Konfabulator was disabled.I'm still going to start my re-install in a few minutes...

#33 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:37 AM

I didn't expect it to, but I don't how long CPUs take to cool off.
I had a similar experience with an AthlonXP/ECS K7VMM years ago during video file conversion or playing a scrabble game. I couldn't pin down cpu overheating because as soon as I reset the computer and check the hardware monitor in BIOS, the temps were normal. I was sure it was overheating only after I removed the casing side panel, trained a fan at the mobo and ran some tests, and the lockup did not resurface. My long-term solution was to reinstall the processor, replaced the Redfox heatsink/fan that came with the 'tray' AMD chip, and installed a 120mm case fan at the rear.As to CPU usage, if you have inadequate cooling (cpu and case) you don't need a 100% level to overheat the chip and trip some BIOS-level overheat protection system.

In fact, I think I have found the problem: Konfabulator. That, or the fact that it is an older version of Konfabulator and there is still a registry mess from the newer version dubbed "Yahoo Widget Manager". I disabled it yesterday and have not had a problem since. I also recorded in Audacity (from the same source) for 20-some minutes straight with no lockups while Konfabulator was disabled.
I hope that is it.

I'm still going to start my re-install in a few minutes...
I hope that is a fresh install.

#34 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:41 AM

I hope that is a fresh install.
Yes, it's most certainly a clean install!  (in fact, it's a clean install on my other hard drive).

#35 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:34 AM

way to go epp_b ! I tried those Konfab. and other Widget things a couple of weeks ago. Within 10 minutes I dismissed them all from my system and restored an image. I found those "playing things"  just ..... (four letter word). They destabilize the machine, at least they did over here on two of my machines I tested it on. Switched back to good 'ol Sysmetrix.
Striker
still the same...

#36 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:12 PM

way to go epp_b ! I tried those Konfab. and other Widget things a couple of weeks ago. Within 10 minutes I dismissed them all from my system and restored an image. I found those "playing things" just ..... (four letter word). They destabilize the machine, at least they did over here on two of my machines I tested it on. Switched back to good 'ol Sysmetrix.
It's too bad, because Konfabulator is a very handy little program with some pretty cool features.  All it takes to build a useful widget is knowing how to work with Javascript, XML and ZIP files.

#37 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

yes, indeed too bad. But I thought either that or a stable machine, so the decision was easy.
Striker
still the same...

#38 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

yes, indeed too bad. But I thought either that or a stable machine, so the decision was easy.
Yup!

#39 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:26 AM

Well, it seems I was wrong :(Got another lockup today...

#40 OFFLINE   Ed_P

Ed_P

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:42 AM

Review each of the Win 98 apps that you're running on XP.  Set them to run in Compatibility Mode.  See if that helps.
Ed

#41 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:56 AM

Aughg...I've used compatibility mode before.  In fact, it completely trashed my OS one time.  I'm not touching that thing.

#42 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:17 PM

Oh, that, and I don't have any 9X-specific programs.

#43 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:17 PM

First, find a way to rule out processor overheating, as this is the most obvious of the possibilities. (If you can and have, do next)Second, reset the BIOS to factory default and reinstall the OS. If you have installed any add-on card, remove it first. (If the lockup still happens, do next)Third, look for any BIOS update from ECS and the latest motherboard drivers from SiS.

#44 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

I've already re-installed the OS.  I have not changed anything in the BIOS.  The only thing that was changed (from the shop) was disabling the SATA controller.  I have no PCI or AGP cards installed.

Edited by epp_b, 29 January 2006 - 04:05 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:34 PM

If you are using bleeding edge device drivers, try going back a few versions until you find those that will all behave together.

#46 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:31 PM

Thanks, Marsden - I've already done that.  On my previous install, I started from the earliest drivers available (on the CD).  It made no difference.Anyway, I'm running on my re-installed copy now, so I'll see if this makes a difference B)

Edited by epp_b, 29 January 2006 - 08:37 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:29 AM

Run Everest to check BIOS version (Motherboard>BIOS). Look for an update.There's an update here: http://www.techspot....x-m11-bios-11c/It mentions patches for processor support as well as temp management fixes. That goes to show there are serious issues with that motherboard.

#48 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:40 AM

That update is for 760GX-M PCB 1.1. (PCBs 3.0 and 3.1 bios updates are for CNR cards issues only.)

#49 OFFLINE   striker

striker

handyman

• Honorary Moderators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:57 AM

After all this going through I would return it ASAP to where I bought it from.This is not normal and has nothing to do with not giving up. (And I would - but that's just my personal opinion - ask another brand of mainboard)
Striker
still the same...

#50 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:33 PM

Upon bc2m's last suggestion, I updated my BIOS to the latest available version direct from ECS.  The flash went A-OK and I haven't found there to be any [additional] problems (yet).We'll see if this fixes the lockups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users