Are you gonna switch?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Poll: If you've never owned a Mac will the mini make you switch?

If you've never owned a Mac will the mini make you switch?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:48 PM

When they come up with a console that runs normal PC games, is upgradable (all components), allows web surfing and email, I'll buy one.
Yeah it called an X-Box with the hacked chip so that you can put Linux on it....
Nathan Williams, N-Line Computers

How to kill a programmer:  Give him a shampoo bottle.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

#27 OFFLINE   epp_b

epp_b

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:46 PM

cackle cackle cackle ;) :devil: o:)

#28 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 01:31 AM

cool.if i had the spare change, i'd run out and get one just to have it.a computer that small is just, well, cool.it would be a great conversation piece as well.you could travel with it... say you travel on business a week at a time as i used to, you could stuff that thing in a bag and off you go!but no, i'm not considering giving up intel/amd.
Posted Image

#29 OFFLINE   Stonegiant

Stonegiant

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:39 PM

nlinecomputers, on Jan 14 2005, 06:46 PM, said:

Yeah it called an X-Box with the hacked chip so that you can put Linux on it....
No hacking for me, thanks.

#30 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 11:48 PM

This sounds like a good buy for current Mac users but I don't see much of a niche for it in the PC world.  The only out-standing feature (other than it being a Mac,) is the size.  But I bought an HP ze4600 notebook for only a $100 more, and it is truly "portable."  (I'll let the "true believers" argue the "OS wars."  But I feel much more comfortable with it as a bridge between "home and office.")

#31 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:01 AM

Will it run Final Cut Pro?Macs have always been about digital media... The new mini departs from that standard...Anyone remember the "Cube?"

#32 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:56 AM

Apple Puts Power Mac G4 Cube on IceCUPERTINO, California—July 3, 2001—Apple® today announced that it will suspend production of the Power Mac™ G4 Cube indefinitely. The company said there is a small chance it will reintroduce an upgraded model of the unique computer in the future, but that there are no plans to do so at this time.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#33 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:21 AM

I drool over Macs.  I have worked on a lot of them several years ago but have never owned one.   When I add up the price, including software, I have to think twice.  Hubby, who knows nothing about computers, has had the Mac catch his eye to the point he keeps noticing anything about them in the media.  Maybe a Mac is in the future once we no longer need to pay tuition for my daughter and granddaughter.  :lol:
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#34 OFFLINE   SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:08 PM

secretly use it at night 'cause I am linux geek, remember
Hahah, sounds like my exact situation :P

#35 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:09 AM

This is what Extreme Tech Weekly has to say about it.http://www.extremete...,1751694,00.asp

#36 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:23 AM

lewmur, on Jan 19 2005, 10:07 PM, said:

This is what Extreme Tech Weekly has to say about it.http://www.extremete...,1751694,00.asp
Typical.  They are missing the point.- Doesn't come with a keyboard, mouse, display: Yeah, thats the point.  People asked for such a system and now they bitch, can't have it both ways people.  Most people have extra usb keyboards and mice that are not being used, and some might have an extra monitor or two: if not, big deal it will cost just a bit extra for the Mac experience, and you wont have to use those D*** one button mice.- The whole processor / specs: Comparing Apples to Windows... the classic debate that can never be won because the specs to a PC user is always way to low... you just can't compare them.- G5 vs G4: HELLO!!!! What do you call the Intel Celeron?  A low end chip-set from Intel!  The G4 is the low end chip-set from Apple!  The Mac mini is a low-end mac at the end of the middle-of-the line (system spec wise).  PLEASE don't use this as an excuse!!!  Oh my god the iBooks and Powerbooks, and eMacs still use G4's that must mean they are ****: please.  The G4 is a great processor don't dismiss it.- HELLO they are running WINDOWS!  The Mac mini runs Mac OS X, and can run various forms of 'nix.Oh I see that the site is owned by Ziff Davis... like that org isn't biased!

#37 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:31 AM

Gee, even I know that you can't compare Macs and PCs evenly.  It just does not work.  I think this one fills  a nitch for those that are interested in exploring Macs.  The missing essentials, if not found in your hardware cupboard, are easy to pick up at bargain prices. :'(
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#38 OFFLINE   Arena2045

Arena2045

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:56 AM

teacher, on Jan 20 2005, 06:29 AM, said:

Gee, even I know that you can't compare Macs and PCs evenly.  It just does not work.  I think this one fills  a nitch for those that are interested in exploring Macs.  The missing essentials, if not found in your hardware cupboard, are easy to pick up at bargain prices. :'(
Agreed.

#39 OFFLINE   zox

zox

Multithreader

• Forum MVP
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:45 PM

He he, love to see Arena fuming :)ExtremeTech is cool site but it is PC oriented and as you noticed Celeron and G4 can not really be compared, at all.I am using G4-500 Mhz in production every day and P3 1Ghz can not come even close to that performance, not Celeron.We have G5's as well but are not as used as G4's untill most of designers don't upgrade.Others here are still using G3's and G4's and we are talking serious production with editing of large images etc..I am still waiting for independant review of new Mac mini as these is just trash talk and not deceint review.I did not expect this from Extremetech.

#40 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:52 PM

Arena2045, on Jan 20 2005, 08:21 AM, said:

Typical.  They are missing the point.- Doesn't come with a keyboard, mouse, display: Yeah, thats the point.  People asked for such a system and now they bitch, can't have it both ways people.  Most people have extra usb keyboards and mice that are not being used, and some might have an extra monitor or two: if not, big deal it will cost just a bit extra for the Mac experience, and you wont have to use those D*** one button mice.- The whole processor / specs: Comparing Apples to Windows... the classic debate that can never be won because the specs to a PC user is always way to low... you just can't compare them.- G5 vs G4: HELLO!!!! What do you call the Intel Celeron?  A low end chip-set from Intel!  The G4 is the low end chip-set from Apple!  The Mac mini is a low-end mac at the end of the middle-of-the line (system spec wise).  PLEASE don't use this as an excuse!!!  Oh my god the iBooks and Powerbooks, and eMacs still use G4's that must mean they are ****: please.  The G4 is a great processor don't dismiss it.- HELLO they are running WINDOWS!  The Mac mini runs Mac OS X, and can run various forms of 'nix.Oh I see that the site is owned by Ziff Davis... like that org isn't biased!
If one is willing to pay an 67% premium for the "MAC Experience," then do so.  Just don't claim this box competes in "bang for the buck" with PC based boxes.  That was the "point" of the article that *you* apparently missed.Did you even bother the check the links in the article to see what a "small form factor" PC box was selling for?I don't doubt that MAC users have been wanting to buy a box sans the overpriced accessories that Apple has traditionally foisted on their customers, but PC users have been able to do this since the post XT days.As I said to begin with, this may be a big deal to current MAC users, but, IMHO, to the computing world in general, it is a "so what?."  I will even grant that, to students taking graphic arts or publishing courses, it is probably a *very* big deal.  But that is still a small portion of the overall market.(Double post deleted)

Edited by teacher, 20 January 2005 - 04:01 PM.

#41 OFFLINE   zox

zox

Multithreader

• Forum MVP
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:09 PM

And here is for comparison another side's review.A bit biased but with very valid arguments:http://www.macworld....anges/index.phpAlso on OSNews comparison:http://www.osnews.co...hp?news_id=9450And if you are into disassembling here is short video how to pry open Mac mini without damaging it:http://www.smashswor...mini-how-to.php

#42 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:44 PM

Here's a question from someone who hasn't been on an apple computer since 1989!If the mouse is USB will a two-button scroll wheel mouse work on a MAC? (No I don't expect all the buttons to work like they do on a PC, I just don't want to buy another mouse if I try this).
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#43 OFFLINE   nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Discussion Deity

• No Longer a Member
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:07 PM

Yes they do.  And they often work like you expect them two.  A right click opens a menu.  Something you have to use a keypress and a mouse to do with the one button mac crap.  I know plenty of people that have plugged up standard PC Logitech wireless keyboards and mice to macs.  They work just fine.
Nathan Williams, N-Line Computers

How to kill a programmer:  Give him a shampoo bottle.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

#44 OFFLINE   zox

zox

Multithreader

• Forum MVP
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:35 PM

I am using it as I type and not only on OSX, I am using Logitech two buttons and scroolwheel mouse at the moment on OS 9.2 and scrolling through this page in Mozilla.As Nathan pointed, right click replaces by default "Option"+ single click.

#45 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:41 PM

MacWorld article said:

Heck, the Dell doesn’t even include antivirus software (a $62 option), which for Windows computers these days is like selling a car without brakes—in both cases you simply turn it on and pray.
:D ;)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#46 OFFLINE   BarryB

BarryB

Prince Distro

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:56 PM

I'm tempted to get one..and yea..it would be for the cool factor...but I figure people will buy what they need first and want second..and maybe the mini will  make that easier for MAC fans..and thats cool...Maybe a KVM switch... :D...now how can I justify this to the wife..

Edited by BarryB, 20 January 2005 - 04:58 PM.

Barry

Right when you think you know the answers..somebody goes and changes the questions
Registered Linux user #303103

#47 OFFLINE   teacher

teacher

Acute Mac

• Honorary Moderators
  • 13,854 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:04 PM

Barry, how many computers would that make for you?  Dare you even ask the wife?
Teacher
Beach Bum Extraordinaire

#48 OFFLINE   BarryB

BarryB

Prince Distro

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:13 PM

ummm  counting my work laptop...that would be ..ummmm 17... :D But I've been good...Maybe I'll ask for something more expensive..and "settle "for the Mini B) ...Yea...that might work... ;) Then again..I just might get hurt :(
Barry

Right when you think you know the answers..somebody goes and changes the questions

#49 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:15 PM

Good strategy! :D
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#50 OFFLINE   BarryB

BarryB

Prince Distro

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:19 PM

Unless it's the get hurt part....then it will be time for plan "B"Extreme Begging(This usually just amuses her)if that doesn't work....Sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness (and your life) rather than ask permission :D
Barry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users