Vista crash? Blame nVidia

Jeber

From Engadget:

That huge bundle of damning emails and documents Microsoft produced as part of the Vista-capable lawsuit is full of fascinating information about how the company developed, planned, and launched Vista, but the latest juicy nugget to come out if it suggests that a lot of problems faced by the troubled operating system are actually NVIDIA's fault -- nearly 30% of logged Vista crashes were due to NVIDIA driver problems, according to Microsoft data included in the bundle. That's some 479,326 hung systems, if you're keeping score at home, and it's in first place by a large margin -- Microsoft clocks in at number two at 17.9 percent, and ATI is fourth with 9.3 percent.

Hello,Is there any correlation to marketshare? I have not seen one mentioned, and was wondering if the data had been normalized in any fashion.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

• 1 month later...

it's nice to see that someone else is having problems with their vista/nvidia card. if you want to download and play a game such as second life....good luck, you have to have all these cards and drivers that respond with nvidia and especially ati but you can't find them at all or when you do, you have to download a bunch more crap to get them to work as well. it's just a huge headache for NOTHING!

• 2 weeks later...

Most of these issues are gone now, and in the last six months the drivers have matured nicely. It is true that the first year was horrible and I saw the nvidia error "nvd blah blah has stopped responding so many times.

Edited by tommyj12

From Engadget:
I'm not sure how much credence I would give to such a report. As in 30%?? Who says? And where did the sample data come from? I did not read the full article in detail but I really don't care. I used to work as a full time PC tech at a very busy shop where we'd get anywhere from 20-40 PCs checked in DAILY. Sure I've seen some cases where a buggy driver wasn't playing nicely with Vista - but to see 30% of all crashes are from bad Nvidia drivers seems absurd.I've built PCs with Nvidia cards ranging from low end 6000 series to the very high end 8000 & 9000 series. And I always made sure that I install the latest Nvidia driver for the customer before it went out the door. Never once had a customer come back complaining about Vista crashing because of it.

I'm not sure how much credence I would give to such a report. As in 30%?? Who says? And where did the sample data come from? I did not read the full article in detail but I really don't care. I used to work as a full time PC tech at a very busy shop where we'd get anywhere from 20-40 PCs checked in DAILY. Sure I've seen some cases where a buggy driver wasn't playing nicely with Vista - but to see 30% of all crashes are from bad Nvidia drivers seems absurd.I've built PCs with Nvidia cards ranging from low end 6000 series to the very high end 8000 & 9000 series. And I always made sure that I install the latest Nvidia driver for the customer before it went out the door. Never once had a customer come back complaining about Vista crashing because of it.
I think those numbers were from MS. It has been a while since this was news, but most of the times this happened the drivers would recover so it wouldn't be a real crash, and you wouldn't need to reboot.