• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:42 AM

Yeah, I'd imagine that it would be a pretty big list.

#52 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,656 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

Yeah, I should be near the top...B)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#53 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

Yeah... not to mention the NSA data on you. ;)

#54 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:36 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 25 June 2019 - 09:51 PM, said:

Congrats, Neil. You can now join all the other folks in the U.S. who use VPNs in the FBI's suspicious characters dossier. ;)
Maybe it will also put a "disguise" on the pictures of me hanging up in the local post offices.
Posted Image

Posted Image
REGISTERED LINUX USER #547579

#55 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,656 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:16 PM

View Postwa4chq, on 26 June 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

Maybe it will also put a "disguise" on the pictures of me hanging up in the local post offices.
Posted Image

Wait, who are you again... :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#56 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:59 PM

Posted Image

Edited by wa4chq, 26 June 2019 - 07:01 PM.

Posted Image

#57 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:37 AM

View Postwa4chq, on 03 January 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

View Postsunrat, on 02 January 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

Apparently MX Linux is quite easy to set up as live USB with persistence on a flash drive. Sure you could set up VPN on that.
Good morning sunrat.  Tnx for the reply.  As a matter of fact, I do have MX-17 w/ persistence on a flash drive.  I'll have to do more research.  Tnx!

As an add on to sunrat's excellent suggestion, on a persistent MX on a flash drive you could run FireFox or another browser in -private mode through Firejail.

https://forums.scots...690#entry430507

For example I use,

alias  ***="firejail --private --dns=8.8.8.8 --dns=8.8.4.4 firefox -no-remote"

from a live linux. :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#58 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:18 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 27 June 2019 - 03:37 AM, said:

View Postwa4chq, on 03 January 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

View Postsunrat, on 02 January 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

Apparently MX Linux is quite easy to set up as live USB with persistence on a flash drive. Sure you could set up VPN on that.
Good morning sunrat.  Tnx for the reply.  As a matter of fact, I do have MX-17 w/ persistence on a flash drive.  I'll have to do more research.  Tnx!

As an add on to sunrat's excellent suggestion, on a persistent MX on a flash drive you could run FireFox or another browser in -private mode through Firejail.

https://forums.scots...690#entry430507

For example I use,

alias ***="firejail --private --dns=8.8.8.8 --dns=8.8.4.4 firefox -no-remote"

from a live linux. :breakfast:
Thanks Abarbarian.... heading over to the link you provided.

Posted Image

#59 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:43 PM

LOL....I set up PIA using a different country, down under roaming with the kangaroos.  Now my searches reflect "my location"  :ninja:.  Searching for a submersible water pump to get an idea of costs and results show companies in Australia..... guess I better remember to maybe stay a little closer to home....hahaha...

Posted Image

#60 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:20 PM

We have very good submersible water pumps in Australia!
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#61 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:29 PM

If you use a private search engine like DuckDuckGo, you can set your preferences as to location, time zone, etc. and they are stored anonymously as a cookie that you can add to your exceptions list in your browser so it doesn't get deleted. They can also be saved anonymously on DuckDuckGo's cloud save. This way you can search from within your VPN accurately with no risk to your privacy.

Another anonymous search engine is StartPage, by the way.

#62 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:14 PM

Tnx Sunrat, I'll keep my eyes on the Sunday sales.  :)

Edited by wa4chq, 30 June 2019 - 09:15 PM.

Posted Image

#63 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:22 PM

Hey Eric.  I use startpage but need to setup as you suggest.  Have also tried DDG.

Posted Image

#64 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,656 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:58 PM

View Postwa4chq, on 30 June 2019 - 05:43 PM, said:

LOL....I set up PIA using a different country, down under roaming with the kangaroos.  Now my searches reflect "my location"  :ninja:.  Searching for a submersible water pump to get an idea of costs and results show companies in Australia..... guess I better remember to maybe stay a little closer to home....hahaha...

You can force google to only search in a specific country. I have PIA set as Canada so I had to make that change.

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 30 June 2019 - 08:29 PM, said:

If you use a private search engine like DuckDuckGo, you can set your preferences as to location, time zone, etc. and they are stored anonymously as a cookie that you can add to your exceptions list in your browser so it doesn't get deleted. They can also be saved anonymously on DuckDuckGo's cloud save. This way you can search from within your VPN accurately with no risk to your privacy.

Another anonymous search engine is StartPage, by the way.

I use DDG mostly but sometimes, I have to use google when searching for technical issues as DDG just doesn't return as accurate of results as google.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#65 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:31 AM

Startpage used to be ixquick...I never looked into the reason for the name change.

Posted Image

#66 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:46 AM

sb, when I first installed pia, by default they had me in Washington DC...reckon that's because it's close to my location here in Mathew's VA.  Then I saw I could change the state/country...but as you guys have mentioned I either have set up preferences or keep in mind when searching specific things like for example, Virginia Smoked Hams.

Posted Image

#67 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,766 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:24 PM

View Postwa4chq, on 30 June 2019 - 09:22 PM, said:

Have also tried DDG.

Yeah... I was using StartPage for a while, but didn't like the way their image search worked, so I went back to DDG, which I had been using for a while previously. DDG is fine. Sadly Google is still the best, but well... it's Google - and they're EVIL! ;)

#68 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:51 PM

I added DDG to my phone to use instead of Chrome.... it's a good thingPosted Image......I'm thinking....

Posted Image

#69 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,656 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:54 PM

Well I think their browser kind of sucks. I just FF with DDG as the default search engine.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#70 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:20 PM

I'm liking DDG on the phone....it uses tabs.  Maybe Chrome could do that....I don't know, but when checking out the app for DDG that was one of the things mentioned right off the bat......

Posted Image

#71 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,656 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:50 PM

View Postwa4chq, on 03 July 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

I'm liking DDG on the phone....it uses tabs.  Maybe Chrome could do that....I don't know, but when checking out the app for DDG that was one of the things mentioned right off the bat......

All of the major mobile browsers have tabs and have for years now. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Edge (yes, it's on android), Brave, etc.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#72 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Posting Prodigy

• Forum Moderators
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:49 AM

Hello,

An interesting article from ComputerWeekly.Com: The source for the article is this blog post: which provides more information about how the data was collected and analyzed.  I am not sure how the ranking of a particular VPN as a "top" one was done (downloads? user installs? bandwidth?)

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP 2004.1-2018.6 [Cloud and Datacenter Management]

(previously Networking, Windows, Windows for Devices and IT)
FacebookGoogle+ personal blogpersonal websiteTwitter work blog

#73 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,656 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:34 AM

I love how 90% of the VPN articles are written by competing companies. Like the source on this one is an unknown VPN company called VPN Pro?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#74 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,656 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:36 AM

It's interesting stuff but you know what I mean. You wouldn't trust a an article written by Coca-Cola downplaying Pepsi. Companies have no problem flat out lying to drive their profits.

We didn't realize how good we had it when False Advertising was illegal.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#75 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:27 PM

I saw this the other day on https://distrowatch.com/.
It mentions "Whonix"  So to be really secure we use Whonix with Pia and Firejail running in the background and browsing with Duck Duck Go?  wow...my head spins.... lol

Edited by wa4chq, 07 July 2019 - 06:28 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users