For Love of Water

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I spent 2 years living and working in the mountain resort village, Grindelwald, Switzerland, in the Berner Oberland Alps. There was a very international workforce there and many "clicks" formed and hung out together. I had a really cool bunch of friends there, and as it turned out, everyone of us had been competition swimmers or active with sports involving water. (you can't believe how long it took me to word that carefully, so be nice!! B) )Since Scot's Forum has turned into such a cool virtual community, it would be interesting to see if the same rules apply here.----BeeTee

My unofficial title here at the beach is "Beach Bum". I tell students I went into education for the summers off. I have a row of boogie boards in the garage and swim at the gym 4-5 days a week. Competition - no way - because I am too lazy. Give me a boogie board, a kayak, a canoe, a noodle, anything, and I am there (unless the jellyfish are there). Heck, we even get to swim with the dolphin here! B)

LOVE SAILING! B)
Teach, Siebs, - not surprized from you too, maybe it has something to do with curly hair. Couldn't think of a way to include it in the poll!! B)

I am very active in water sports as well . I never miss with a water ballon at ten paces or a water gun at ten feet . And I am wicked with a water hose as well. B)

B) On water rather than in it, we have an old wooden fishing boat moored at the local marina. We fish for whiting mainly, I've never been seasick. It's so long since I've actually been in water I can't remember if I can swim!Joy

LOVE SAILING! B)
Teach, Siebs, - not surprized from you too, maybe it has something to do with curly hair. Couldn't think of a way to include it in the poll!! B)
Don't tell Bruno about the curly hair - been trying to keep it a secret! B)

I sink like a brick. At some point this summer, I will have to teach my 5 yr old how to swim. I am better qualified to teach her how to drown.

My answer to this poll is the reason I joined the Army instead of the Navy. Borst, I hear 'ya. I've nearly drowned in many of the world's great bodies of water. It's not acceptable to admit I'm a San Diego native and can't swim. No one ever believes it. So I have to nearly drown to make my point. B)

I'm With Jeber and Borst (almost)... Unlike them, I don't think I could drown if I tried! B) I don't care for water other than showers (and maybe the occasional hot-tub). I don't sink though! B) I float quite well...

Love the water.....from water hoses to the ocean and everything in between. I spent time on everything from a canoe to a 400 foot ship. I really miss the ocean. I really miss being on the open sea, there is nothing like it in the world......There are times when the ocean is like a mirror, calm and smooth reflecting the moon and every star in the sky. And there were times that I have been in 30-35 foot swells and hanging on for dear life and enjoying every second of it....and yet even then the ocean contains a beauty that is beyond words.Thanks, I have not thought about that in a long time.....

Guest ThunderRiver

I am not really a water person. I probably even have water-phobia if there are too much water around me. If I am stranded on a boat in the sea for months, I would be the first one to die. Easy and simple.I don't know how to swim either, and yes I am 20

Even though I love swimming I haven’t been in water for about 10 years, oops, besides showering that is. Where we love to vacation, Maine, the water never really warms up (though I must admit I have never been brave enough to try it, word of mouth is good enough for me).Acadia

SonicDragon

I live on an island, and grew up living on a boat :lol: We have some of the world's nicest beaches here IMHO, and love the water. Boating, buggy boarding, snorkling if i ever go on vacation, etc. *splashes forum members**runs away*

Thanks, I have not thought about that in a long time.....
I grew up at the Town Park pool, back when the sun wasn't dangerous. Every day at the pool all summer. Swam competitive through teenage years and coached kids ages 6-19 for a few years during my military stints in Korea and Germany. Also grew up water skiing on the Mon in southwest PA. Lived in Myrtle Beach, SC and on the Gulf of Mexico in the Panhandle of FL. Learned to sail a 16' Hobbie there (MB). Lifegaurded in P.C.B. renting out Hobbies. There's nothing like flyiing Hobbie over 2 meter or better waves in 30+ mph winds. except maybe bringing the boat up after flipping it. :) Gotta save the beer first!!. Yeah, it brings up memories.Me and a few friends are planning on buying a 16' for this summer to sail on Ammersee. One of the guys has a property for use right on the Lake. I can't wait. Got to sail one day last summer. Happy to say I still remembered how to fly a hull. :) How 'bout you Siebs, What do you sail??

Would not be able to survive as penguin in the WaterCooler if I couldn´t swim ! All people here in Holland learn to swim in school, they have to, too much water over here, kids would drown by the thousands if they wouldn´t have learned it in school !Still swim 1 or 2 times a week, summer and winter, keeps you fit !:) Bruno

jbredmound

In my "younger years", I was a "deep water" lifeguard, so I was one of the guys strolling the beach with a float...now I could be the float! :D :D B) My last really memorable swimming adventure was about four years ago, snorkeling off the coast of Puerto Vallarta. We came around some rocks, just offshore of this island, and there was a baby Orca. As we looked at each other, there was no doubt that we were both thinking, "Where's Mom?'. :D The "float" became a high performance water craft, and we were on the other side of the island in two breaths. :D

i grew up in florida... water every weekend - atlantic for the huge waves, gulf of mexico because you could walk scarily far from shore and still only be waist deep. many vacations in state, collecting sea shells.oh, swimming; yes, i love it.
I spent a couple of years in the Pan Handle, People who have never seen white sand normally don't believe it, but it is like walking in sugar. And the water is so warm by August, it doesn't even cool you off any more. ;) Plus there's GREAT electrical storms "up" there, sometimes daily for a couple of hours, then it's beutiful again. :)

Guest LilBambi

When our son was in the AF and was stationed in the Panhandle area, he said he lived at the beach except when he was working in the summer. He loved it!

When our son was in the AF and was stationed in the Panhandle area, he said he lived at the beach except when he was working in the summer. He loved it!
Now that you mention it, we used to almost never leave "the beach." If you did, it was mostly because you HAD to. You always felt better once you crossed back over "The Bridge." There was The Beach, and then, the rest of the World ;) But that was long ago and far away!!

Hmmm Well spent 21.5 years in the Navy & have swam everwhere from Cuba to the coast of kuwaitt...but now .....

jbredmound
I add water to Scotch...is that close enough?
I can't believe that you would do that to Scotch. Finnie and I can teach you how to handle that stuff.If you need to ease into it, you can always go "water back".

;) I am afraid to ask what "water back" is? Is that a magic spell? Do you say "water back" and all the water is removed? If so, does that incrase the potency of the scotch? Or is this like a kid that "backwashes" into the glass they are drinking from? Help me to understand. Inquiring minds want to know!_______________________Naive, innocent teacher