PC Linux OS

Owyn

Tx Julia.Try running "frozen-bubble" from a console. It is in path on PV5.Might be some error messages.I was able to run it on my test system even though the 3D is not working properly.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owyn

• teacher

• Bruno

• ross549

Top Posters In This Topic

Will try that next. Right now I was looking for a console entry to list the install actions. For the second time in a row it has stoped on Step 4 creating etc/fstab....

/usr/games/frozen-bubble output:

output in file /root/.fbrc failed: No space left on device. [/code}I can run the same thing at school tomorrow if you would like.  --Julia 

Will try that next.  Right now I was looking for a console entry to list the install actions.  For the second time in a row it has stoped on Step 4 creating etc/fstab....
Try running the install from the console.$ su# /usr/sbin/livecd-installWill give you a chance to see error messages.

Running it that way now! I will send you results when done. The final line is the same from Frozen Bubble - no room left on device. This time it was in mkdir. I gave it a 5GB size partition to install! Do you want the whole log mailed to you???--Julia

Edited by teacher

Running it that way now! I will send you results when done.  The final line is the same from Frozen Bubble  - no room left on device.  This time it was in mkdir.  I gave it a 5GB size partition to install!  Do you want the whole log mailed to you???--Julia
Yes Please.It could be lengthy so I hope you are using the command from the tip# `which livecd-install` 2>&1 >debug.logI am just about to re-install PV5 to (re)test kernel 2.6.Will check frozen-bubble from CD at same time. Works from HD. May be config problem with trying to write to ro directory from CD.

I did type that first but it completely froze the computer when I tried to do anything after it stopped working. B) I ended up rebooting so I doubt I have anything now!

Julia. Not sure if my PMs went through properly. I have this feeling I deleted something along the way instead of reading/sending it.Got a touch confusing for a second.Anyway, as I (think) I said, you should be able to direct the log file to one of your mounted partitions.Doing that:1)You will not use the limited space on your ram based home for the log file.2)The log file should be available, even after a reboot.I also need the output of "df" and "free" from a CD boot.

You received the log outputs. Next question. How do I direct it to another drive? What do I change in the command? Do I change this: `which livecd-install` 2>&1 >debug.log to `which livecd-install` 2>&1 >/mnt/sda/debug.log or /mnt/hda5 (Drake home?)It is running now so I will see if I can pull up the debug log. I did a whereis upon rebooting since I could not do a locateb. Did not find it.--Julia B)

Hello OwynI am on the fourth install and get the same situation no matter what I try. ( it has stoped on Step 4 creating etc/fstab ).... this on 2 different computers. I have tried using the whole hard drive 12 Gb just for pclos and have tried another hard drive doing the partitions 512 swap and 6 gig rieserfs tried ext3 still no joy...Mel B)

I copied and pasted into an open email I had waiting. It went on its way. Since then I was able to save the file to a disk. It would not let me save to an open office extension but on ly a Windows XP doc format! B) Would you rather have an attachment or just the text in an email?--Julia :(

Julia/Mel:Just starting into a re-install myself.Give me an hour to:1)See if I can re-create your problem2)Test creating a log file on a mounted partition

Retesting Hard Disk Install.I am using partitions hda5 (swap) and hda8 (/).hda8 was only 4GB and I wanted to resize it to 6GB as part of the re-install.Steps to date:1) Boot livecd. No boot options.2) Logged in as guest. Note: no jobs running.3) From consoleFirst prepare hda8$ su# diskdrakehda8: Unmount, Resize, Format (ext3), MountNext test to see if I could create a log file on /mnt/hda7/tmp (my Mdk92 / partition)# cd /mnt/hda7/tmp# touch debug.log# rm debug.logNow start installer# `which livecd-install` 2>&1 > /mnt/hda7/tmp/debug.logStep 1 - Welcome: NextStep 2 - Select Partitions. /dev/hda8 -> / with Format; /dev/hda5 to swap No Format; NextStep 3 - Confirm Partitions: NextStep 4 - Install: Fornat -> 100%; Data Copy -> 100%; Overall -> 100%; NextStep 5 - Bootloader: Take default (Lilo to partition(hda8)); InstallStep 6 - Finish; No, I will boot later.Console log as follows

[root@localhost guest]# cd /mnt/hda7/tmp[root@localhost tmp]# touch debug.log[root@localhost tmp]# ls1393047391/  gconfd-owyn/  ksocket-owyn/  pdf.logdebug.log    kde-owyn/  mcop-owyn/[root@localhost tmp]# rm debug.logrm: remove regular empty file `debug.log'? y[root@localhost guest]#  `which livecd-install` 2>&1 >/mnt/hda7/tmp/debug.logPrototype mismatch: sub main::min vs ($$) at livecd-install.ui.pm line 808        main::BEGIN() called at livecd-install.ui.pm line 808        eval {...} called at livecd-install.ui.pm line 808Prototype mismatch: sub main::max vs ($$) at livecd-install.ui.pm line 808        main::BEGIN() called at livecd-install.ui.pm line 808        eval {...} called at livecd-install.ui.pm line 808Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".umount: /dev/hda8: not mountedrunning: mke2fs -F -j /dev/hda8mke2fs 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)running: tune2fs -c0 -i0 /dev/hda8writing /tmp/livecd.install.8184/etc/fstab[root@localhost guest]# ls -l  /mnt/hda7/tmp/de*-rw-r--r--    1 root  root      4362997 Jan 23 19:37 /mnt/hda7/tmp/debug.log[root@localhost guest]#
Reboot. Use prior lilo (same partitions as before) to access PCLos.No problem.

/usr/games/frozen-bubble output:
 output in file /root/.fbrc failed: No space left on device. [/code}I can run the same thing at school tomorrow if you would like.  --Julia Looks like you were running as root.Try it as guest.

Just posted my specs for my main computer. Ran a recheck of my md5sum to make sure it was good. errors on boot:

(ww) fglrx= no matching Device Section for isntance (BusID PC1:1:0:1) found(EE) fglrx(0): Given depth (16) is not supported by fglrx driver(EE) fglrx(0): Pre Init Visual failed(EE) fglrx(0): R200 PreInitialization failed.(EE) fglrx(0): Screen(s) found but none have a usable configuration.Fatal screen error:  no screens found.

I am thinking of next trying nopci but don't know if that is the right way to go. Do I need to do a mem=800M or something like that to drop my memory down below 1024? Julia :)

Just posted my specs for my main computer.  Ran a recheck of my md5sum to make sure it was good.  errors on boot:
(ww) fglrx= no matching Device Section for isntance (BusID PC1:1:0:1) found(EE) fglrx(0): Given depth (16) is not supported by fglrx driver(EE) fglrx(0): Pre Init Visual failed(EE) fglrx(0): R200 PreInitialization failed.(EE) fglrx(0): Screen(s) found but none have a usable configuration.Fatal screen error:  no screens found.

I am thinking of next trying nopci but don't know if that is the right way to go.  Do I need to do a mem=800M or something like that to drop my memory down below 1024?  Julia :)

Try "livecd xbpp=24"Looks like the ATI 9000 is having the same problem as the 8500. Suspect the problem will apply for anything using fglrx (ATI 8500 - 9700). Edited by Owyn

Yep, Julia is having the same problem as me.

According to my records you had to use xres=1280x1024 xbpp=24 for PV4.Blackscreen if you tried to adjust interactively.
This time is different.Last time I had full screen black and it was unusable.This time my screen is moved 1/25" to the right, still very usable but when maximized, I can not click on top right "X" to close window.Bit annoying but I'll play with it tonight.I can't post my XF86config-4 right n ow as I am at work but as soon as I get home tonight you'll get it.And thanks for tips.

Any word yet for us with Radeon cards when we can go for it?
Yes. There is an update, but, still being tested.First problem was to make sure HD install was completely checked out. See the tip I just posted for more info.You should be able to do this now.Next steps will be published ASAP. But, still working on some wrinkles. May have to get you or Zox involved on the testing. Later.

When I try to log in and type at my normal speed I get an INIT: ID "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes. What causes that? I have gotten it a couple of times now.

When I try to log in and type at my normal speed I get an INIT: ID "1" respawning too fast:  disabled for 5 minutes.  What causes that?  I have gotten it a couple of times now.
Darned if I know. Have to check.I assume you mean at the KDM login screen.

Those good value spindles are nice . . .but often poor quality CD's . . .. . next time get good quality CD's on spindle B) :DAnd burn at slower speed, not top speed . . . see Tip CDRecordB) Bruno

I never burn at top speed. I only type fast. Well, we won't discuss driving. B) Don't know what happened with that one. It looks like maybe the next one is better. I at least have a GUI trying to start. Logged in and waiting to go for the install routine.Wish me luck!--Julia B)

I never burn at top speed. I only type fast.  Well, we won't discuss driving. B)  Don't know what happened with that one.  It looks like maybe the next one is better.  I at least have a GUI trying to start.  Logged in and waiting to go for the install routine.Wish me luck!--Julia :)
Sounds very promising . . . . . crossing fingers !! ( well you can always reinstall a few times B) B) )B) Bruno

Alas it is not meant to be. All was well. It was going great and then I glanced over as the install menu disappears to see "bus error" on my konsole. I reached over to highlight and make a copy and everything disappeared and the computer locked up solid. I don't know if skinny elephants would have worked but nothing else did so I just did the reset button (even control alt backspace would not work). I guess I will have to wait a bit for some fixes. It looked good though. I was not seeing any errors but then again I was not watching every line and they were flying across the screen. --Julia :thumbsup:

Alas it is not meant to be.  All was well.  It was going great and then I glanced over as the install menu disappears to see "bus error" on my konsole.  I reached over to highlight and make a copy and everything disappeared and the computer locked up solid.  I don't know if skinny elephants would have worked but nothing else did so I just did the reset button (even control alt backspace would not work).  I guess I will have to wait a bit for some fixes.  It looked good though.  I was not seeing any errors but then again I was not watching every line and they were flying across the screen. --Julia :thumbsup:
Looks like it time for a juilia'ned hd instaill.1)Boot with "livecd xbpp=24 mem=512M"2)I want to log to disk. Just the basic log, not the debug log.Pick any of your linux partitions that have an existing /tmp directory (say hda5 for sake of example).Instead of # livecd-installuse# livecd-install 2>&1 > /mnt/hda5/tmp/install.logAnd in a second console$ suand # tail /mnt/hda5/tmp/install.logas required.Worse comes to worse you should have most, if not all of, the log available on a reboot.