#26 OFFLINE   Frank Woods

Frank Woods

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

View Postburninbush, on 27 April 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

I don't know the history of this problem -- but will make the point that if the pc in question was one that came loaded with win7 then it probably has a hidden first partition that is the real 'boot' partition.  And so that makes C: something that is probably actually a /dev/sda2 -- and restoring that will not recover the boot files.  You need to also image the first hidden partition, and then restore it first when repairing the part where windows lives.

Suggest booting with a live linux cd and run #cfdisk /dev/sda  on it to reveal the true partition structure, and which is the real boot partition -- it will be marked with an asterisk.  Those hidden first parts are usually not very big, which makes for an easy and secure backup situation:  just use dd to take a full image of that first part, and store it on some external media.  Restoring that file [again with dd] will absolutely get you back the MBR and master partition table, along with the drivers that are usually stored in that first hidden part.

No I built it. But thanks anyway. /dev/sda is where it is located.

Australis ruins Firefox! Australis should be Abandoned!

#27 OFFLINE   Frank Woods

Frank Woods

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

Sorry that I have taken so long to respond but I figured out how to make my own Live cd out of PClinuxOS and it is easy to re install. I also have been using VirtualBox to try out new Distros .

Australis ruins Firefox! Australis should be Abandoned!

#28 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,629 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Welcome back! :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub, restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users