Gmail

Neil P

Anyone else get invited to Gmail yet? I know nilson is in, but I haven't heard anything from anyone else here. Its not bad, the interface is clean compared to Hotmail (eww). I like it ;) and I'm glad I got a name that doesn't have 12,000 numbers and special characters in it, thats a big plus.

Grrr...how do you get an account there?  They say they're still in testing period :P
You need to be invited to get in :). I bugged people on IRC until I got one (a lot of people are giving invites away)

SonicDragon
I bugged people on IRC until I got one (a lot of people are giving invites away)
Ahem *caugh**caugh* Would you be willing to return the favor? :D Or can only certain people invite others?

Hmmm. I just thought filling out the application would give you a chance! So much for that. I did notice today that Yahoo upped their free mailboxes to 100 MB and attachments to 10MB. That will really help a lot!Julia :P

SonicDragon
over-hyped - if I wanted too I could do my own 1GB mail account on my server - but what in the world for
Well, it's more than just 1GB that makes it nice.The interface is much nicer that ones like hotmail etc, and doesn't have huge flashing annoying banner adds like yahoo. Also, when you are some of the first few people to sign up, you can have a user name without a 10 numbers after it.Plus, it's free. having your own server is not :P

no ads and any name I want on my server :P with options to go 2gb like aventure mail is offering, people are just going way over board on it

I like Gmail, certainly better than hotmail. Also, neilparis at gmail dot com is a lot easier than adding underscores and numbers, like sonic said. And I also don't have my own server.If I get some invites I can probably give a few here, if anyone else wants one...I'll have to wait and see though.

no ads and any name I want on my server  :P    with options to go 2gb like aventure mail is offering, people are just going way over board on it
I agree. It is a nice new toy to play with....but the way a lot of people have gone Cuckoo for Coconuts over this is amazing. (not meaning anyone in this thread) You just never know what is going to get the public all juiced up these days. When it becomes "open to the public" it is just going to be another online email service....hopefully better than whats out there to choose from now.But I think what is causing the big commotion right now is the fact that accounts are limited at this time. So you are in an exclusive group if you have an account. Bragging rights if you will. Google was smart to do it this way....makes for great marketing. It will all calm down soon enough.

I like Gmail, certainly better than hotmail. Also, neilparis at gmail dot com is a lot easier than adding underscores and numbers, like sonic said. And I also don't have my own server.If I get some invites I can probably give a few here, if anyone else wants one...I'll have to wait and see though.
Hey if you can throw one my way wouldn't mind at all :P

Hmmm.  I just thought filling out the application would give you a chance!  So much for that.  I did notice today that Yahoo upped their free mailboxes to 100 MB and attachments to 10MB.  That will really help a lot!Julia :P
I have to agree with you there. I'll probably stick with yahoo! now that there's a reasonable storage limit.

Hmmm.  I just thought filling out the application would give you a chance!  So much for that.  I did notice today that Yahoo upped their free mailboxes to 100 MB and attachments to 10MB.  That will really help a lot!Julia :P
Really amazing what a little competition can do. :P from 4MB - 100MB and a format facelift.

If anyone else is feeling generous I'd love to be able to check Gmail out. :lol:
Everyone I gave one to should have 3-5 invites by now. B) :) I think they add more over time, so if you still don't have one in a week, post again and I'll send one over.JJ

I got the red link next to 'create a filter' after 24 hours as did my brother who I invited. You've sent/received at least one message with the account? I don't know otherwise. B)

I think they add more over time, so if you still don't have one in a week, post again and I'll send one over.JJ
Ok thanks. :o So far no one has sent one. ;)

SonicDragon

I don't know. I think the whole anti gmail thing is a little out of proportion. But, the article does make some valid points.

Cluttermagnet
There is a tool you can use to access your yahoo mail thru a email client like thunderbird or outlook called YPOPshttp://yahoopops.sourceforge.net/can send and receive thru yahoo - works great
havnblast- thanks for the url. I had heard about this one before but had not gotten around to downloading the software. I needed it and now have it for a friend whose computer I have worked on in the past. She still uses a Yahoo account. This little utility will be wonderful for her. B)

Welcome - it works great both in windows and linux! I use it with Thunderbird and no problems at all, just got to remember to start it up when you start your email client. I never drempt I would break away from Outlook or Evolution, but Thunderbird 0.6 convinced me to convert and now I have no desire for the others.