New Thunderbird Build!

GolfProRM

Just wanted to create a thread for the announcement of the new Thunderbird builds (since they're not built nightly)... Will keep all build announcements in here :)New build released 6-03

New things in this build:1) I believe all of these builds contain the two fixes for the recent crashes in Mozilla when moving messages around.2) Viewing messages in various charsets should now be fixed (http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=91539#91539)3) Linux and Mach-O builds are now correctly building the new toolkit so you should not see any errors when customizing toolbars and many of the widgets should look different4) Put back the ability to drop toolbar buttons in the menubars since a lot of people didn't like that I turned that off in order to dummy proof customizeable toolbars.5) Collapsed overlay work in the address book and mail compose by Stephen Walker which should improve new window time for these windows slightly6) the MNG image decoder is no longer part of the build. The throbber has been converted to an animated GIF. Thanks to Pavlov for providing the new animated gifs. This allows us to save over 300K by not including the decoder.7) Fixed a JS error after customizing toolbars that would cause your menus to be locked in the disabled state.
Enjoy! :D

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GolfProRM

• Prelude76

• havnblast

• RandomBox

Thanks for the heads-up, Ryan. :D Looks like I'll be getting a double-dose of 6/3 builds. :D
Yup... so did I... it's always fun to download new software! Will be interesting to see if any other major changes come along any time soon! :D They've made great progress with both programs, and I hope it continues. :D

Guest ThunderRiver

I just wish Thunderbird would give users the options to turn off "Preview pane" it is the worst feature I have ever seen in email client. Who told them to open up the email (as preview) when I click in the message?At least I was able to turn mine off in Outlook Express..

ThunderRiver,If you drag the Prieview Pane all the way to the bottom it is disabled... It has to be all the way at the bottom, and then it won't open/execute any messages until you double-click on them... So while it's not an option in the preferences (yet), it can be disabled... :)

Guest ThunderRiver

Weird.. I actually tried to drag it to the bottom.. but somehow, it is still previewing even though I can't really see anything. If you ask me why I believe it is still previewing, I would say that message is automatically marked read after single clicking! Well, I dont know how much I need to drag to the bottom. I believe I have dragged it to the status bar, but it doesn't seem to be disabled..

Hmm... weird... Mine doesn't mark messages as read when I single click on the message... They said on the mozillazine forums that this worked (and it does on mine), but dunno why it doesn't on yours... I'll have to look at some of the settings files and see if i can find something...

Gee... now I know why... They used to have a "slider bar" that opened and closed the pane, but now if you go to View Menu -> toolbars and turn off Message pane, it'll go away. :blink: Not sure why the "slider bars" were removed though...

Just a heads up, there's supposed to be a new build coming very soon (hopefully tonight) that will add support for themes (and I'm assuming some other bugfixes)... I'll be sure to report back when it is actually released! :ph34r:

New build was released tonight! The 2003-06-11 build is out!! It has full support for themes now (just like Firebird and Mozilla), and there are now downloadable themes on the help page (there's a link from within T-bird)... It's got some glitches in the theme system, but overall not too bad! Nice to have some flexibility...Will fill in with more info as soon as mscott (the developer) posts a list of changes on the T-bird forum. ;)

2003-06-11 buildChanges include:1) The ability to install themes through the Tools / Options / Themes panel. See http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/ for more details.2) New preview image for the default theme3) More overlapy collapsing work from Stephen Walker to improve performance4) Hide a bunch of address book columns by default5) Improve the look of captions in the address book and junk mail dialog.6) Windows file picker on Win XP is now the WinXP styled file picker7) Unix builds should have a file picker for the first time, thanks to a fix from André
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...003-06-11-trunk

Just a note: If you downloaded the 06-11 build of Thunderbird before I posted this message, go and re-download it... They fixed the theme problem where whenever you open T-bird, it defaults to the standard theme... Now if you set a theme, it sticks! :D

New build released 2003-06-17!!!

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...003-06-17-trunkChanges include:1) Support for installing extensions to thunderbird.Hopefully we'll start seeing extensions soon.2) My first extension to thunderbird which I hope folks can use as a template for writing extensions is an extension for Offline Support3) Themes panel has been cleaned up signficantly. The install button should always be visible now.4) For windows builds, the compose window now supports mailto urls! Clicking on a mailto url in your favorite browser should bring up a compose window with the email address actually filled in properly!5) The windows build has a fix for the regression in the last build where we did not remember if you turned off the message pane across sessions.For more details about recent changes, you can always visit the recent changes log:http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbir...rd/changes.htmlEnjoy the build and let's get some great thunderbird extensions going!
Fixed some major bugs with this release! And now there are extensions! :) Super sweet!

New build 2003 -06-25!!!

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...003-06-25-trunkThe big change in this build is the introduction of a contact side bar for the mail compose window. See the screen shot. You can drag and drop addresses from the side bar into the addressing widget. Or you can double click them. Or you can use the buttons at the bottom. This is still a work in progress and I may tweak the look or the wording for this feature.To use this feature, click on the Contacts button in your toolbar. Or click on View / Contacts Sidebar.For the complete list of changes, visit the change log.Known Issues unique to this build:None yetAs always, enjoy!

New build released 2003-07-01!!!! And boy have they been busy!!! All sorts of wonderful improvements!!!!

What is the 1st of July without a new Thunderbird build! And boy do we have some great stuff for you this week:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...003-07-01-trunkHeading into the 4th of July, the feature of the week is all about protecting your Privacy.1) Thunderbird now has a content policy manager which has the ability to block remote images from mail messages. Enabling this feature will block all remote image requests when viewing a message. We have new privacy UI to support this feature (Tools / Options / Advanced / Privacy).2) Also on the Privacy front. If a message has been identified as Junk, and you load it, we now sanitize the HTML in the junk message. This means stripping out all remote requests, all images, JS, cookies, tables and other potentially harmful html. You can turn off this feature via Tools / Junk Controls / Settings. To see it in action, click on a message which has HTML with some images. Mark the message as junk, notice the new display. Mark it as not junk, notice we revert to the original HTML again.Other non privacy specific new features:3) Daniel Glazman's editor changes for adding inline controls to tables. In HTML mail compose, insert a table and then select one of the cells in your table. Note the inline controls for resizing the table, adding, deleteing columns and rows!4) First cut at a Junk Mail controls dialog redesign5) More polish on the address book contact sidebar including: preserving the open state of the sidebar across sessions, a context menu for contacts which lets you delete, edit or add the address to the addressing widget.6) Seth Spitzer made a fix for Bug #211078. This means no more "blank" entries in the contact manager for cards which did not have a display name. This makes the contact manager MUCH more useful. Thanks Seth!7) Hide the attachment bucket in mail compose by default.8) A redesigned Junk bar in the message pane (mark a message as junk to see it). Thanks to Jason Kersey for help with the background image.

New build out! A few nice changes (skinned icons for the compose window) ;)

For your e-mailing pleasure:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...003-07-08-trunkFeature of the week is a tie between the new compose window icons and the new options UI overhaul.New Features----------------1) The compose window now has new Qute based icons. Many thanks To Arvid! Small icons now also work in compose.2) The options dialog has been re-organized to reduce the amount of random cruft that sits inside the advanced panel. There is still more work to be done but the new re-write makes a lot more sense than what we had.3) You can now access the certificates manager under Account Settings / Security. This means it is now possible for S/MIME users to now import their digital certificates in Thunderbird without doing it by hand.4) Expose pref UI for re-using the same stand alone message window or opening messages in new stand alone windows. (Tools / Options / General)Known Issues----------------1) There is still a lurking crasher in the address book when modifying properties on a card. Haven't been able to reproduce it in a debug build yet but it sure is easy to trigger in optimized bits.2) Tools / Options / Fonts & Languages, the pixel size menu list drop downs next to the fonts, show truncation dots ("...") instead of the pixel sizes. Haven't figured out what part of the options re-write caused this yet.Enjoy!

Guest LilBambi

Hi Ryan --Sounds like they are very excited about it too ... must be getting really close to what they are looking for.What are some of the features you like best about the new build?

Fran,My favorite new feature is that you can now have multiple message windows open (if you choose)... It used to lock you to only having one email open at a time as it re-used the message window if you double-clicked on an email.Also, the addition of the SSL certificates manager is a nice (and very much needed) addition. You used to have to copy your certificates over from MozillaMail (meaning you had to have it installed too). Now T-bird can handle them on its own! ;)

New T-bird build out today! Interesting thing to note, Scott MacGregor, the chief developer for T-bird is now an Ex-AOL/Netscape employee. He was one of the main developers of the Netscape Mail/News system since NS4.5. He says that his layoff will help T-bird's progress in the short-term as he now has most of his day to work on it (until he finds a new job that is). Sad to hear that he was laid off, but at least this project won't die! :D Quite a few changes for this week, which means there are a few more known bugs. I'm just getting it installed now, but will play with it more tonight and report back if it's usable or not.

Sorry for the delay in this week's thunderbird build. Too much going on =). *Please read the list of Known Issues before posting bugs in the bug forum*, thanks!http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...003-07-16-trunkFeature of the week is the new 3-pane configuration.New Features----------------1) Thunderbird now supports a new 3-pane format I'm calling Vertical (don't worry that doesn't show up in the UI). This is similar to the new configuration Outlook uses. Folder Pane | Thread Pane | Message Pane (Tools / Options / General). I'll be continuing to make improvements to this new configuration over the coming weeks.2) Clicking on a mailto url in a browser when thunderbird was not running now brings up a compose window with the address properly filled in (unlike the empty compose window you used to get).3) Drag and drop now supported anywhere inside the compose envelope. You can drag addresses or files into the compose envelope and thunderbird will do the right thing.4) Spell checker now ignores quoted text for HTML replies.5) We now support dynamic window switching when changing your 3-pane window layout (Tools / Options / General). The underlying window is updated immediately. This feature also makes code maintence much easier because I don't need to maintain separate XUL files for each window layout we support. Not that you care about that part, but I do!6) After feedback from users, the user agent in the About Thunderbird dialog is now selectable =).7) UI polish for the Certificate manager (for SMIME users). Added access to security devices in the Account Settings / Security panel.8) Fixed a crash when viewing messages that hand plugins in them.9) David Bienvenu added the ability to sort threads by other attributes beside message id. Pop into thread mode then go to View / Sort By to change the sort attribute. Thanks David!Known Issues----------------1) If at any time you view a message with attachments and you then try to change the 3-pane configuration, you may crash (Bug #212364)2) There is still a lurking address book crash which happens sometimes when you try to modify an existing address book entry. Still haven't caught it in a debug build with a stack trace.3) There is a strange focus issue in the addressing envelope in the compose window. Sometimes while typing in addresses, focus seems to lock up. You can get around it by moving focus into say the message body and then back into the addressing field.4) When using the new vertical 3-pane view, you get a lot of jiggling with the splitter between the message and thread pane. Especially when viewing a message with attachments. I'm working on a new attachment interface which will eliminate this.Please let me know if you notice any other regressions from the last build. I'm particularly concerned about regressions with remembering window state that may have come from the dynamic 3-pane window generation. (i.e. if we suddenly forget how tall your message pane is)Thanks,-Scott

brucekrymow

Hi, Ryan ~Please do. As a result of my good experience w/ F-bird and your help, I am considering trying T-bird.Any initial caveats or issues I may need be wary??

Bruce... T-bird is an incredible email program, and I've taken to using it exclusively once I was able to test out the stability. It's been very reliable for me (except for some known bugs). It is stll very early in it's development (not even considered in "alpha" stage yet), so it's got a LOT of growing to do. If you're prepared to deal with some missing features and weird glitches (mostly minor), then it's a good program to try out. Its problem right now is there's a bug that crashes the program when working in the address book. If you're going to install it and try it out, install the July 1 version, import everything, get it settled, and then upgrade. If you do a lot of messing around in your address book, I'd stay with the July 1 build until they fix this bug (I'll be sure to report it). I'm happy to try to assist you with any questions you may have about T-bird, but you'll have to be prepared for a "not implemented yet" or a "known bug" type of response.

New build out on 7/23!!!This is could be called 0.1RC1 as it's the first release candidate for the first official milestone build! :)

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...003-07-23-trunk*Please read the list of Known Issues before posting bugs in the bug forum*, thanks!This is our first 0.1 milestone candidate build, see this thread for more information about 0.1.Let's shake out any regressions or recent trunk instability over the next day or so and then see how close we are to declaring a 0.1 build.New Features---------------1) New mail attachment display has landed! Thanks for everyone's help in shaping this. On a side note, if you want a large icon attachment view, set mailnews.attachments.display.largeView to true in prefs.js2) Added UI for managing stored mail preferences (Tools / Options / Advanced)3) Thunderbird now remembers the height of the message pane in all three, 3-pane mail configurations again. This was a regression in last weeks build that is now fixed.4) Added back the ability to view messages with original HTML / Simple HTML / Plain Text. Thanks for all the feedback that convinced me to put this back in. You no longer need to download an extension to get this.5) Fix a windows regression where launching mail from the start bar was causing a blank thread pane and the lack of the inbox being selected on start up.6) Mac OSX menubars no longer show garbage chinese characters.7) David Bienvenu fixed a regression where the Collapse / Expand thread menu items were always disabled.8) Fix issues with trying to customize the stand alone mail window's toolbar that caused menu items to get disabled and the window to become unusable.9) We no longer crash when you view a message with attachments and then change your 3-pane configuration.10) the new 3-pane option introduced in last week's build is a lot more useable now with the new attachment display and some other changes I made. You shouldn't see as much jiggling as you used to when viewing messages with the message pane splitter in this mode.For a complete list of changes, see the change log.Known Issues----------------1) There is still a lurking address book crash which happens sometimes when you try to modify an existing address book entry. Still haven't caught it in a debug build with a stack trace. ** 0.1 stopper **2) There is a strange focus issue in the addressing envelope in the compose window. Sometimes while typing in addresses, focus seems to lock up. You can get around it by moving focus into say the message body and then back into the addressing field. ** may be a 0.1 stopper **3) View a message with attachments. Then click on a different folder, we don't hide the attachment box when we hide the rest of the message pane. *fixed, will show up in the next respin*Enjoy!-Scott
A couple extra notes about the new attachment display with things that aren't fixed yet:1) I need to add the ability to tab into the attachment box2) I'm working on adding code to mozilla that will let you drag attachments directly to the desktop3) I need to hook up the enter key so it will open the set of selected attachmentsWith the new display you can now:1) multi select attachments2) navigate throught the list of attachments via the keyboard

Linux version should be up in a little while... It's volunteer built right now so doesn't always make it up right away. :D

Linux Builds are up now. :)Also, if you happened to download the Windows build before 2:00 EST, you should re-download it as some of the known issues on today's build have been fixed. :D