PCLOS p81 is out

ikerekes

Texstar just has anounced the availablity of the new p81:

PCLinuxOS Preview .81 General Release ISO is now posted on ibiblio.org withbittorrent links to follow. Some highlights in this release include an updateto kernel 2.6.10-oci7, security updates, application updates, bug fixes,livecd script updates, livecd-install updates and better hardware detection.Short List of changes:SATA support (Needs testing)improved international keyboard supportMD5 sum optiondos-swap file optionno prompt boot optionimproved video detectionscsi cdrom supportFixed laptop with touchpad not completing hardware detection.All applications updated to current stable releases.Security updates applied to livecdShorewall enabled by default and configured for most desktop services.New background, kde bootsplash and other graphical enhancements.
It supposed to fix a lot's of bugs.ikerekes

:P IvanLove the new feel of .81 :wub: :hug: NOW :P what's the next step for me here eh :P :clap: :harhar: just :fishing: ;) Hey just reralised Ivan you are in CALGARY AB, we visit our son evety month in the NW Country Hills area. We are in Sparwood B.C. about 3 hours awaySMALL WORLD eh :hmm: :clap2: :clap2: Cheers for YearsColin :D Edited by kamicota

LOL . . Colin . . . I know you can't wait . . so start a new thread and we will do the install of this new version ( and who knows you will be able to have the two "#$%@" printers on this one :P )When you star the new thread please include the output of the next command ( while you are booted in the old PCLos )

# cat /etc/lilo.conf

;) Bruno

is PClos easier to use then Mandrake? I finally managed to get mandrake installed, i would also like to add another linux to my collection. What about slackware seems everyone is going crazy over it, or perhaps Debian.do they use the same fat system? Recommendations would be most welcomedBris

Hi BrisPClos is much easier to install and just as easy to use as Mandrake . . . . Slackware and Debian are for the more advanced users ;)None of them uses the FAT filesystem ( Mandrake does not either ) but they all use Ext3 and ReiserFS as file systems ( those are Linux file systems ) . . . they can however all access the Windows Fat32 you are probably multibootinglI hope that answers your question . . .:):"> Bruno

hi BrunoThank you for your explanation of the Linux file system, i can't recall if mandrake asked me what file system i wanted to use.I believe it just asked me where to install it.What are your suggestions as a second linux? Xandros, Sarge, Suse, Fedora, Pclos all appear fun from what i am reading on the postsBris

Hi BrisYou will have the most pleasure from PCLos . . . because it incudes the most programs and all the browser-plugins and java are configured by default . . . . that way you have a "ready to run" distro from the first minute.In all the others you wil have to install java, firefox, flash plugins, mplayerplugins etc. etc. . . . in PCLos they are already there and it all works ! :DB) Bruno