Ubuntu 7.04/Vista bootloader

ozgeek

I've been using Ubuntu with Vista as a bootloader but the 7.04 has taken over my system and made the boot menu annoying. For example, I installed Kubuntu after Ubuntu and it comes up in the Ubuntu menu as another Ubuntu with a different kernel.I edited the /boot/grub/men.lst and put in Kubuntu in my (hd0,5) partition but it still listed it as Ubuntu.Can I use a different distro as a joint bootloader with Vista - Mandriva for example. Now Mandriva uses Grub would I be able to use the same system as Ubuntu in configuring the bootloader?

V.T. Eric Layton

GRUB is very versatile. You can customize it any way you want, with any amount of distros. I create my own custom labels and colors for my GRUB. It's relatively easy. I'd take a GRUB screenshot to show you, but I don't know how. :hysterical:

Frank Golden
GRUB is very versatile. You can customize it any way you want, with any amount of distros. I create my own custom labels and colors for my GRUB. It's relatively easy. I'd take a GRUB screenshot to show you, but I don't know how. :(
Point your digital camera at your screen and push the button. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I've been using Ubuntu with Vista as a bootloader but the 7.04 has taken over my system and made the boot menu annoying. For example, I installed Kubuntu after Ubuntu and it comes up in the Ubuntu menu as another Ubuntu with a different kernel.I edited the /boot/grub/men.lst and put in Kubuntu in my (hd0,5) partition but it still listed it as Ubuntu.Can I use a different distro as a joint bootloader with Vista - Mandriva for example. Now Mandriva uses Grub would I be able to use the same system as Ubuntu in configuring the bootloader?
Here you go JanLots of info on grub and how to configure it to make it do what you want....Mel :hysterical:
HOWTO: Grub splash image. Introduction This guide will tell you how to get a nice background image while in Grub. The guide will first explain how to load an image into Grub and use it as a background and then, for those of you who are interested, how to create such an image in Gimp. Beware! Do only do this if you feel that you know what you're doing! It may mess up your boot loading if you are careless. (Thanks to jonny for pointing this out, together with backing up). That said, it shouldn't be too hard to follow this anyway. Table of Contents Example Image Configuring Grub 1. Adding an image 2. Editing the grub configuration 3. Seeing your results 4. Troubleshooting Making your own splash image 1. New file 2. Create the art 3. Reduce colors 4. Save and compress
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/GrubSplash
Special Configuration File Commands The following commands can only be used in the GRUB menu configuration file:
  • color <normal-color> <selected-color> — Allows you to set up specific colors to be used in the menu, where two colors are configured as the foreground and background. You can just use the color names, such as red/black. An example line might look like this: color red/black green/blue
  • default <title-name> — The default entry title name that will be loaded if the menu interface times out.
  • fallback <title-name> — If used, the entry title name to try if first attempt failed.
  • hiddenmenu — If used, it prevents the GRUB menu interface from being displayed, loading the default entry when the timeout period expires. The user can see the standard GRUB menu by pressing the [Esc] key.
  • password <password> — If used, it prevents the user who does not know the password from editing the entries for this menu option. Optionally, you can specify an alternate menu configuration file after the <password>, so that, if the password is know, GRUB will restart the second stage of the boot loader and use this alternate configuration file to build the menu. If this alternate file is left out of the command, then a user who knows the password is able to edit the current configuration file.
  • timeout — If used, sets the amount of time, in seconds, before GRUB loads the entry designated by the default command.
  • splashimage — Specifies the location of the splash screen image to be used when GRUB boots.
  • title — Sets a title to be used with a particular group of commands used to load an operating system.

The # character can be used to place comments in the menu configuration file.

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/doc/red...configfile.htmlhttp://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/ht...figuration.html

Many thanks Eric and Mel :hysterical: Once I get Vista and Mandriva installed I'll have a go at a new grub menu. At the moment I'm having to start from scratch as Ubuntu has knocked out my Vista installation, so I thought it was a good time to kill my disk and start again.Presumably I'll need to use the same commands in Mandriva as I did in the Ubuntu menu list.

V.T. Eric Layton
Point your digital camera at your screen and push the button. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
Hey Frank! Where've ya' been lately? :w00t:Oh, and I don't have a digital camera. :(

Frank Golden
Hey Frank! Where've ya' been lately? :w00t:Oh, and I don't have a digital camera. :hysterical:
Working at the Nuclear power plant.No digicam, what are you some kinda anti technology biker? :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton
Working at the Nuclear power plant.No digicam, what are you some kinda anti technology biker? :hysterical:
AH! Just like my hero, Homer Simpson. :)Nah... just a poor biker. :hysterical:

I edited the /boot/grub/men.lst and put in Kubuntu in my (hd0,5) partition but it still listed it as Ubuntu
Grub always shows what is in the "title" line for each OS. You can put whatever you want. I like "Press here to self-destruct in 5 seconds" to discourage snoopers. :wacko: :( :)

Frank Golden
AH! Just like my hero, Homer Simpson. :)Nah... just a poor biker. :(
mmmmmmm computers.To start press anykey... Where's the D*** anykey?

To start press anykey... Where's the D*** anykey?
This from Iceland:http://www.visindavefur.hi.is/svar.asp?id=1479
Til skýringar er rétt að geta þess að "any key" þýðir "hvaða hnappur sem er". Við á ritstjórn Vísindavefsins áttum lengi í vandræðum með að finna þennan gagnlega hnapp. à endanum var brugðið á það ráð að fjárfesta í nýjum lyklaborðum handa starfsfólkinu til að leysa þennan vanda. à þessum lyklaborðum er „any key"-hnappurinn skýrt merktur eins og sjá má á myndinni.
anykeyqr1.gif :(